Mixing brands?

Scout63

Reaction score
I’m selling off my motorcycle collection since I quit riding, and now redirecting my energies into 60’s cars. It started with my chance drive-by find of my 65 Sport Fury. I love the car, but now that I have a convertible I want a hard-top just for me to drive around in. I really like the 66-67 Impala and Biscayne 427s, particularly the L72 425hp models. I think if I look hard enough I can get a nice one for about the combined selling prices of my ‘46 Vincent and ’78 Ducati. I just have to sell them in this soft market... How does everyone feel about mixing brands, or are most Mopar people just Mopar people?

I've had several classics since retirement and they were Chevy, Dodge, Pontiac and Plymouth. I only have the Plymouth now but there were times when different models shared the same garage. My neighbor has 3 Ford's and 2 Chevys at various locations around the valley.
I also have fondness for the early 60s Chevy but it would have to be a 409 4 speed. I have been searching the web for a 61 or 62 Vette but like the 409 they are way to spendy for my wallet.
Get what makes you smile and don't worry what the peanut gallery thinks.
Have fun, Jerry

A lot of people in the MOPAR World are " MOPAR or NO CAR " .... and that is fine....
But also, there are plenty of desirable cars in the world , that go across family lines...

I personally have 6 MOPAR s and 4 CADDY s --- and certain days require one or the other...

You get what you enjoy; the decision and the enjoyment is yours.....

Happy New Year... Craig...

Last edited:
I’m selling off my motorcycle collection since I quit riding, and now redirecting my energies into 60’s cars. It started with my chance drive-by find of my 65 Sport Fury. I love the car, but now that I have a convertible I want a hard-top just for me to drive around in. I really like the 66-67 Impala and Biscayne 427s, particularly the L72 425hp models. I think if I look hard enough I can get a nice one for about the combined selling prices of my ‘46 Vincent and ’78 Ducati. I just have to sell them in this soft market... How does everyone feel about mixing brands, or are most Mopar people just Mopar people?

Do what you want... Don't worry about what everyone thinks.. Lot's of folks on here own more than Mopars. A L72 Chevy isn't everyone's cup of tea, but one thing I've noticed with true car guys is most appreciate other brands.

They'll all break and need to be maintained and I feel if you want it, go for it!!!! I grew up with mostly Chevy cars and trucks and wanted a '68 Chevelle for my first car because we had one a couple years earlier. It was a 2 door, 327, 3 on the tree and it was a couple years old when we got it. There was a '66 4 door Fury III, every model of '57 Chevys, many 55s, some 58s, and several Impalas. Several International Travelalls and many Chevy trucks. There were even some foreign vehicles in there.
My dad and grandfather came across a '65 Sport Fury, this was June 24,1979 so the car was only 14 years old and never messed with (like a 2010 now, not a big deal). The jack was in place and some extra tires were in the trunk, the skirts were on it as well as the spinner hubcaps. I purchased it on the 25th and drove it home for $100. There's a thread on here under restorations I started in 2018. I've built many vehicles through the years for others and myself, and I'd rather build a GM product. I feel there's more support from the aftermarket for many GM and many Ford vehicles. At this time I'm helping a friend with his '67 Chevelle convertible and he has purchased every body panel he needs new including an SS hood. Another friend is building a '70 GTO convertible and has done the same thing. I've only had to do minimal work (if any) to make the panels fit just right, much less time than fixing rust!!! With Mopar I've found minamal new panels and when I find good used parts, the cost takes the fun out of it and when it comes to moldings, forget it!!! These guys can get everything new. I had to make my own quarter panels because the only ones out there completely suck!!! I'm glad my car was in amazing shape when I got it and not too bad when doing it over this time. The aftermarket support is getting better for us building Mopars, but our one year only parts just aren't out there yet. I feel mixing brands is great, they all have pros and cons and we can fix some of the cons!!! If I'd have ended up with a '68 Chevelle, I'd be building it the same way I'm building the Fury, the way I want it to be!! Good luck!!

Yeah I know the "everything breaks" thing.
I started with Mopar and realized quick with my parents having had a mix, and having an oil filter that would fit Mom's olds on the shelf but not one to fit dads Plymouth wagon.. I started with a 76 charger, bought a 75 cordoba when the charger got t boned over the LR wheel while parked, the cordoba came to me wrecked in the front,
I took the clean rust free front clip off the charger and put on the cordoba, stripped the charger and sent the carcass to scrap.
I sold many parts from the charger, kept a bunch more, used some of the parts on the cordoba, others on dads Plymouth wagon.... Then moved on to a ramcharger, and used more charger parts (mostly under hood stuff) on the ramcharger and on and on... Had I bought a Torino or a gutless none of my charger parts would have been any good. So I stuck with Mopar.
That said I will not take a Toyota a honduh or Hyundai or Kia even if for free. I cringe when any of them stops in my driveway long enough for a pizza delivery..... I wish I knew where the "red batphone" was, as n take the lid off the red batphone, push 1 button and kablooey.... Every Toyota, Honda etc would instantly self destruct.
I worked in a steel mill for a few years around cash for clunkers and having seen various police agencies bring us vanloads of seized guns and such so everyone could watch them dump them into the molten furnace, I so craved a similar deal with cash 4 clunkers whereby owners of toyotas and such would drop their cars off and be forced to watch them be dropped into the furnace.... Especially newer ones by the original buyers of said cars and then they'd have to go to a dealer of "big 3" to buy their new replacement.

I am a Mopar owner number one, I have all the tools and plenty of knowledge to easily keep these beauties going. But if I could afford to spread out with other brands I surely would. Mid 60s Pontiac is up on my list plenty of Fords as well.
But the lack of support with owning and restoring a Chrysler is what makes them special to me since I was a kid. I have owned some of each from the 4 American makers, a couple of VWs, a fiat, now a Toyota Carolla I just bought for my daughters to have a cheap easy reliable car for school.
Always more bang for the buck with a mopar, not driving a catalog car feels good.

I've had a variety of stuff, lean towards mopars but I can appreciate many different types of oddball cars. Mainstream like a 1st gen Camaro or fastback Mustang doesn't do much for me but I love '63 Galaxies, suicide door Lincolns, 65-68 Impalas, '65 Bonnevilles, Wildcats, etc.

My daily driver is a Ford truck and I've also been eyeing up model t and model A's lately just because they seem cheap and fun for the dollar spent.

If you've got the space, go for it! Most of the car people I know have more than one brand in their garage. Variety is the spice of life.

if you own it and drive it and somebody else fixes it who cares how many kinds you have...but if you're trying to do your own resto and accumulating parts and parts cars , having multiple makes just results in doubling and tripling the amount of space all this stuff takes up...as well as the amount of books , tools and knowledge to work on them...each manufacturer pretty much did things the same way across all their lines and if you get it figured out on one you can approach the next one with confidence as opposed to starting from scratch on each problem

mixing brands
I was a Mopar fanatic until about twenty years ago when I bought a mid-nineties Grand Marquis. By then, Chrysler had stopped making rear-wheel drive passenger cars. I was never into the front-wheel drive cars or trucks. It was 2022 before I could get back into the Mopar fold because the current generation of rear-drive cars finally became affordable (to me).

Personally, I have 5 cars in my driveway. A Toyota, my wife's Kia, a 1994 Impala SS, a 1970 El Camino, and my 75 Dodge. I have never considered myself a brand loyalist but, I do gravitate to Chevys. Point is, fill your driveway with whatever you want. We all love cars and the joy they bring us. When it comes down to it, who cares what badge is on the front. For what it's worth, I'd love a 427 Impala. Go get one!

I was a Mopar fanatic until about twenty years ago when I bought a mid-nineties Grand Marquis. By then, Chrysler had stopped making rear-wheel drive passenger cars. I was never into the front-wheel drive cars or trucks. It was 2022 before I could get back into the Mopar fold because the current generation of rear-drive cars finally became affordable (to me).
I took have yet to own anything but rwd or 4x4. Have never owned a front (wrong) wheel drive of any kind since I hate working on them for others when they come in for service. Whoever decided to turn the engine sideways in the engine compartment should be hung....

It's your money, buy what you would like to own & drive. I agree with your choices, they are desirable cars, especially the 427 Biscayne. I have a soft spot for some Pontiacs, Chevys, Cadillacs, Mercurys and AMCs. They all have unique characteristics, are fun to drive and recall memories of our youth.

One thing about "diversity" is that you get to see LOTS of different things. Which cars you can get parts for and which ones not. Who does certain things well and what is not done well by whom. Plus where GM cut corners, Ford and Chrysler did not, and combinations thereof. A BIG learning experience!

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I have three Polaras, a couple of Pontiacs, a chevy, an International Scout, an Accord daily driver, and even two Ford pickups (no shame in it). I love pretty much all domestic cars from the 60's and 70's with the exception of the AMC Matador. Those things were sure fugly.

Back