My D440 project

D440

Well I finaly got a chance to work on the D440 today. I got the stock rear out cleanly. All the brake lines & cables came off without having to declare war. I got the lowering shackle mounted on the drivers side

image.jpg

image.jpg

D440

Well the rear is finally in. Still need make brake lines & hook up the brake cables. Also need to buy new brake shoes & wheel cylinders & hardware

image.jpg

image.jpg
Progress is slow, but again I found some time to get all the brake lines installed. It looks good. When I went to the store I asked for aluminum line. The girl working the counter said all the sold was copper & steel. Well I didn't want steel so I got the copper. It bends very easy. I didn't need my tubing bender. I got it all installed & it looks great. However I got to thinking should I have bought the steel like. Is this soft tubing dangerous.

Last edited:
It may be what they call ni-Copp, which is Nickel and Copper. It looks like copper, but is DOT approved and bends so easily and beautiful it puts a smile on your face. I redid all of the lines on the NYer with. Sweet stuff.

Sure is if it's the nickel/copper, you can do everything that you can do with the steel line

If its not DOT approved stuff, steel is the safe bet. Copper line is too soft and wont take the pressure... I can't see a reason for a parts store to sell pure copper tubing, but you are in NC with historical alternate uses for the stuff.:)

I love these trucks and the fact that it has a 440. My dad and I done this in the late 90's to our old 79 d100 2wd had a lot of fun in that truck. Keep us posted

C Body Bob, I built more of those trucks than cars that I've owned. They are a heck of a lot a fun! Most of them I Big blocked also. I have yet to put my 8 3/4 in, but will do it this winter. Right now mine is in the paint shop, first time ever having a truck painted. Looks like you and I have a lot in common in our choices of Mopars!

Monday I was able to work on it at the paint shop. I was getting the grille and bumper prepped for paint. Can't wait to bring it home in 2 weeks
20170529_143705.jpg

D440

I've got the bed off right now. Had to remove the fuel tank & also figured it would be eaiser to change the rear. Plus I want to put in a drive shaft safety loop. And maybe fab some kind of sheild for the fuel tank. The drive shaft runs right along the side of the big plastic fuel tank. Incase I do a track time with it. I have seen too many cars break driveshafts at the track. Oh yea I painted the frame rails. Will install a larger fuel line too

View attachment 60624

View attachment 60625
Nice C B B i have an 81 that I been drivin for 4yrs. now Same body style, and easier to pass emissions. You have room and a nice stash at your place.

Back