Need aftermarket Sure-Grip recommendations

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got an open 3.23 rear which I will keep for long trips and found a center section for sale with 3.55. For the 3.55 I would like some recommendations or experiences from folks of the aftermarket sure grips your using. I am considering Randy's Ring and Pinion offering [smooth] and also a Doctor Diff helical sure grip. This is for my "Big Boned Gal" 69 Fury that is street driven not raced. {hopefully I would like to take her to the strip once in awhile.] Any thoughts on any brand /type would be appreciated.

The Helical ones I've looked at and they seem super stout but for a casual street driven car I think they are a tad overkill. The Power-loc units are really nice units, I have one in my Dana 70 (original unit from 1993) rebuilt 10 years ago and I've put over 180K km's on it with a ton of heavy pulling and it's still going! And they are completely rebuildable short of catastrophic failure and the case is damaged.

I bought the helical one Dr Diff has last year for the '64 Belvy. It works great...no complaints. I had originally wanted a Detroit Locker but could not find anywhere at that time. Unfortunatly, i have not managed to compile enough time behind the wheel or miles on the car since last summer to really give a good review..... but no negatives either.

Got an open 3.23 rear which I will keep for long trips and found a center section for sale with 3.55. For the 3.55 I would like some recommendations or experiences from folks of the aftermarket sure grips your using. I am considering Randy's Ring and Pinion offering [smooth] and also a Doctor Diff helical sure grip. This is for my "Big Boned Gal" 69 Fury that is street driven not raced. {hopefully I would like to take her to the strip once in awhile.] Any thoughts on any brand /type would be appreciated.
I put the helical one in my fury and love the driveability and the idea of no worn out clutch plates to replace

I broke the detroit helical one. I talked to randys ring and pinion who initially said it would be fine in my car. After it failed open, they said they should not have recomended it. I replaced it with a full detroit mechanical locker. It has been great, see my previous posts regarding its tame street manners. I have beat the blue f#$k out of it, with no issues.

Last edited:
I broke the detroit helical one. I talked to randys ring and pinion who initially said it would be fine in my car. After it failed open, they said they should not have recomended it.
I hope they gave you some sort of refund, after acknowledging they made an error. The price on those things isn't trivial, not to mention labor to install.

Rebuilding the open diif and keeping tight tolerances will yield performance similar to a sure grip. If your not racing or doing frequent burn outs I think you would be plenty happy .

I hope they gave you some sort of refund, after acknowledging they made an error. The price on those things isn't trivial, not to mention labor to install.
They credited me the purchase price back on it, but not until i sent it back to them, i bought the mechanical one because i didnt want to be without my car while they made a determination. I went against my instincts when i bought it, i always have run full lockers. Zero maintenance and pole-axe reliable.

Back