new carb for a 440...recommondations

70Tom

Reaction score
Well, I think it's time for a new carb for my Sport Fury. While a '70, it has a '69 440 in it. All stock (aside from the carb itself, I believe). The carb currently on there actually runs pretty well. However, there's no choke linkage installed and it's getting really difficult to get the car started in the AM now that the temps are cooling down. If I don't do something about it, I'll be replacing the starter soon instead.

So, question is, what do I want to put on this engine? My only concession is, I want to run an OEM dual snorkel air cleaner. If I'm not mistaken, I think this may put me out of the running for an electric choke model.

For whatever reason, I'm usually a stock guy so I was considering going with a Holley 4160 or the stock Carter, but if someone has better luck with a higher CFM carb or an Edelbrock, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I do know how to spell "recommendations". I swear. Stupid no edit of titles....

have you thought efi , there are a few on the market now , some sold as self containing units , there rated by horse power . snifter by holley , fitech has some as well . just an idea for operating your classic like a modern driver .

The Fi-Tech Fuel injection is an option wouldn't rule out.

You can use an Eddie 1406 600 cfm or an 1411 if you want a 750 CFM carb. Mr Gasket has a couple of spacers that you can use to elevate the air cleaner and clear the electric choke. Great carb's bolt right on and run great right out of the box.

the eddy carbs use a soft alum body be carefull on the strength of your return springs , i've had them wear out the throttle shafts mounting thru holes . in a short time as a driver . i like webers version better of the afb's and its a bolt on . eddy's are hotrod stuff mainly .

If you're interested, I have a Holley 4160 that needs rebuild. In 75 or 76 I took this from a 69 Fury ex-New York State Police Car w/440. I think in 68-69 the Holley's were only on the police cars.
IMG_4048.JPG
IMG_4059.JPG

Last edited:
I run an Eddy 750 cfm with electric choke and a dual-snorkel air cleaner. I have no clearance issue and do not need a spacer of any type. Works great!

Use a Eddy carb they are new made in North Carolina parts are available in the isle at auto zone and they are easy to work with. Not to poo-poo on 68 4spd fury but I would not touch a 4150/60 older than 15-20 years old unless you have been with it since day one and even then I'm ready to take a sledgehammer to my mid eighties vintage 4150.

Last edited:
I run an Eddy 750 cfm with electric choke and a dual-snorkel air cleaner. I have no clearance issue and do not need a spacer of any type. Works great!
Snotty, do you have the model number for your Edelbrock?

If you're interested, I have a Holley 4160 that needs rebuild. In 75 or 76 I took this from a 69 Fury ex-New York State Police Car w/440. I think in 68-69 the Holley's were only on the police cars.

I'm sending you a PM.

Just installed an eddy 1406 on the 440 in the D300. Also had one on my old cordoba. They are great for decent fuel economy, and cruising around town right out of the box. But the seat of the pants feeling for power just isn't there for me.. Maybe the 1411 would be a better choice in that department??

Otherwise, great carbs.

Just installed an eddy 1406 on the 440 in the D300. Also had one on my old cordoba. They are great for decent fuel economy, and cruising around town right out of the box. But the seat of the pants feeling for power just isn't there for me.. Maybe the 1411 would be a better choice in that department??

Otherwise, great carbs.
Mine currently doesn't have seat of the pants power. Haha. I wonder how much worse fuel economy will be with the 1411 (which is the 750 CFM). On the Jegs site, it does say that it's calibrated for Chevy 454 and Ford 460 engines. Wonder if that would have any issues on the 440.

Fuel mileage is deff gonna suffer. Can't have your cake, and eat it too I guess lol.

Idk about the 1411. Never played with one. I do know there is quite a difference in seat of the pants feeling between the 1406, and the holley 750DP on my newport. Granted theres other goodies with it, but it seems much more responsive with the holley.... Mileage is terrible though. lol

I like the Carters or Edelbrocks myself. However, pretty much anything will need to be tuned to reach maximum potential. I find they usually need a little smaller rod, and sometimes the step-up springs replaced to match the engine's vacuum levels. If it was me I'd buy the strip kit with the carb. Either type will work with the stock aircleaner and electric choke.

On the listing for an Edelbrock 1406 and 1411, here's what it says:

1970 PLYMOUTH FURY
  • Fitment_Note: Models w/Auto Trans. Require Carb Lever Adapter PN[1481]~If Stock Air Cleaner Is Used Spacer PN[8092] Is Required~If Stock Air Cleaner Is Used Banjo Fitting PN[8089] Is Required~For Use On Pre-Pollution Controlled Vehicles (PPCV)~Check Fitment

I have a question about a 600 cfm eddy 1406 and the larger eddy 1411 750 cfm.
From my probing the internet and here I was under the impression on a stock 440 the power at least on paper up to 5000 to 6000 rpms with the 1406 would be better also mileage would be better as well as throttle response compared to the 750. Above that [I guess 5500 and up] the 1406 would be a restriction and the 750 would make more power. This is with a relatively stock smooth idling motor with good vacuum. With the rump a dump cams and high compression ratio then things are quite abit different. Stock response is not as good with a 750 around town.
I went on 440 RV forums and they all seem to agree if you want more low end rpm torque do not over carb it. I did see on some Holly calculator i think a stock 440's ideal cfm to 6000 rpms was 625 cfm's. I run a 1406 on my 440 with a factory dual snorkel air cleaner with a 3/8ths carb insulator with no problems on my 69 fury. Anyway I am not preaching preaching at all. Just adding to the conversation,,if you think differently I am all ears.

Last edited:
The 1406 has better throttle response, it atomizes the fuel better. I had the 1406 on my Imp and while not perfect, it worked better than the 1411 I bought for it first. That one ended up back in its box on the shelf shortly after I bought it. Then I got my E body back on the road with a fresh 383 and wanted to try out the 1406 on it so back out of the box came the 1411 and after a few mods on it it does ok on my Imp, still not perfect. I won't buy a Performer series carb again.

I know the 14 series are critical to have the pedal to throttle adjustment. They need all the airflow they can get on the secondary counterweighted butterflies to open in a timely matter. Make sure your foot is opening it completely. I still say if you are buying a new carb I would go with the thunder series 600-650 whatever the rating if you are staying and will stay near stock, the 800 if you plan to modify they are the same carb as the 1406 & 1411 except no counterweighted secondary valves it uses a spring loaded plate like a choke to delay the airflow till engine demand is ready, easily adjustable in 30 seconds with a torx and flat blade screw driver. The additional air flow is because there are no internal counterweighted air valves in the way that's why the are rated 50cfm higher. The counterweighted ones are fine but with a universal carb you know they have those set to " come on " late and avoid customer complaints of bogging. I think this is the seat of the pants that Zac was talking about not being there. The fix would be open it up remove some weight from counterweight to allow it to open sooner, reduce delay, get the seat of the pants better, trick is when do you stop removing weight or if you go to far and it develops a bog (too much air without the flow/velocity to create the low pressure area to pull fuel through to the venturi/booster) how do you put the weight back? This is why the thunder series, I think, is the better universal carb, just tighten the spring adjustment back up a little when you go to far.

Either the Holley 4150 or 4150 HP would get my vote.

Back