new carb for a 440...recommondations

So basically, it seems we're down to the Edelbrock Thunder Series 650 CFM with electric choke, or a Holley 4150 with the manual choke?

Also, if I read it correctly, I'll be needing to do some adjustment on the Edelbrock Thunder?

So basically, it seems we're down to the Edelbrock Thunder Series 650 CFM with electric choke, or a Holley 4150 with the manual choke?

Also, if I read it correctly, I'll be needing to do some adjustment on the Edelbrock Thunder?
The Holley does come with an electric choke if you prefer.

It looks like we're in two camps here: Edelbrock vs. Holley.

Why is Edelbrock better? Why is Holley better? Interested to hear the arguments. They're the same price, so that's not a consideration.

It looks like we're in two camps here: Edelbrock vs. Holley.

Why is Edelbrock better? Why is Holley better? Interested to hear the arguments. They're the same price, so that's not a consideration.
Neither is "better" than the other. You have to know how to tune a carburetor if you want to run a Holley. You will get more power and driveability with the Holley if it is tuned right.
The gas mileage of the 750 vs the 650 will be negligible for either carb.

Neither is "better" than the other. You have to know how to tune a carburetor if you want to run a Holley. You will get more power and driveability with the Holley if it is tuned right.
The gas mileage of the 750 vs the 650 will be negligible for either carb.
Thanks.

Here's the other problem. If the Edelbrock Thunder series is their best carb, they don't have a 750. Only a 650 and an 800. Better to go with the Holley 750 then?

Thanks.

Here's the other problem. If the Edelbrock Thunder series is their best carb, they don't have a 750. Only a 650 and an 800. Better to go with the Holley 750 then?
I won't comment on that, but everybody will tell you to go Edelbrock. For either carb, buy a strip kit.

750 cfm for a stock or mild 440 is a bit much in my experience. I think you'll be happier with the 600 or 650. My 440 Imperial had more spunk with the 600 than it does the 750.

The three Eddies are all jetted differently too.
A 600 will perform better than a 750 depending on the state of the tune of your engine.

Here is something to think about.
With the Eddy you can change the metering rods by loosening the small plates on top pull the power pistons out change the rods replace your done. If it is rich or lean in cruise and WOT you pull the whole top of the carb and change jets. There are infinite number of combos to get it spot on if you really want to play and you invest in a air fuel meter.
The Holley you have to remove the float bowl to change main jets, fuel all over. With a stock or near stock 440 the 6.5" power valve will be fine but to really fine tune a Holley is quite involved.

Snotty, do you have the model number for your Edelbrock?
1407. I bought that one thinking I could use the heat-activated spring choke from my original intake. I couldn't, so I bought the electric choke kit and added it. I believe the 1406 is the same carb but with the electric choke on it. I also installed an Edelbrock performer Intake as well. Ir's a good combo and I got 1-2 MPG better on the highway - an added bonus!

Whoops! The 1411 is the 750 cfm one with the electric choke already in place - my mistake. 1407 is 750 with manual choke.

The Holley you have to remove the float bowl to change main jets, fuel all over.
Even in the dark ages of carburation, what effen engineer thought that through. . . Jeezes.
And cut off the balls off the Design Engineer Manager who signed off on that.

History would have changed if just one person in Engineering or Marketing had said, "Wait a minute. . . . "
Unless the Head of Finance figured out the immense profit margin of bowl gaskets.

Last edited:
Any carb, properly tuned, will give you good all around performance.
A few notes - the AVS designs use an air door to control how fast the seconaries come in. So you can run a "larger" cfm carb without any of the negatives that used to come with that pairing.
On a 440, any carb up to 800cfm can be a good match.
Then you have the ratings themselves... Edelbrocks, non HP (oldschool 4150 or 3310s, all factory type) Holleys, and Carters are dry flowed. Which means they flow less than advertised once fuel is added to the airstream. That's about 15% less when they are on a running engine. The HP Holleys, Demons, and most custom shop carbs are rated wet flowed. So the 670cfm HP or Avenger Holley, when dry flowed, will flow over 750.
The boosters in a Carter design (Edelbrock) tend to be more responsive than the Holleys on the street type carbs, and Holley's approach to that is to add more fuel both thru the acelerator pump(s) and the power valve circuit. I find the Edelbrocks and Carters will get a little better fuel economy, especially on a milder engine and heavier car.
My vote would be the 1813 AVS, 800cfm.

Back