New exhaust, H-pipe and Borlas on the 383 4 speed

Thrush 24240...
Your tailpipes will have to be cut and the glasspacks will have to be welded in but it works. Save your pipe if you do not like this recommendation so you can weld in the old pipe back in.....
2.5 inch diameter,25 inches total length with 20 inch body.
Basically using them as resonators. it may change the tone a little bit but not drastically
My shop has done this before with good results..
Thrush® Glasspack Muffler - Center / Center - P/N: 24240
24240_2.png

Can anyone get more specific on what resonator works well. Part#, length, etc. My H pipe took care of noise above 40 but below its not great. I have 3" pipes and flowmaster 40s which came with the car years ago but probably would not be my choice now. I have the room between gas tank and frame rails, just reluctant to start cutting without some personal experience from those that have done it.
Here are the resonators that I used on this project....worked out very good. Amazon has been a great resource for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3VHVO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks guys. My system is a lot like Luke's except I have 3" pipes and no resonator yet. My tips are rectangle straight out the back (no turn down) His success got me wondering and reading. My issues are <40mph ,less than 2k. I'm not trying get quiet just lessen the drone. As was said it would seem my best option is to get as long as possible to break up the longer wavelengths. That Thrush option makes sense. Especially with 3" and not willing to redo the system. I'm willing to reconfigure the tips if that helps. Assuming longer is better I don't need part numbers I can search on length. thnx

Thanks guys. My system is a lot like Luke's except I have 3" pipes and no resonator yet. My tips are rectangle straight out the back (no turn down) His success got me wondering and reading. My issues are <40mph ,less than 2k. I'm not trying get quiet just lessen the drone. As was said it would seem my best option is to get as long as possible to break up the longer wavelengths. That Thrush option makes sense. Especially with 3" and not willing to redo the system. I'm willing to reconfigure the tips if that helps. Assuming longer is better I don't need part numbers I can search on length. thnx
My drone was at a maximum at 1600 rpm.

Tips should be at least 2-4 inches past the lower portion of the bumper but not sticking out past the top of the bumper.
This also reduces drone and not look stupid at the same time.
Just my example for reference...
20180903_115858_Film4.jpg

Last edited:
Tips should be at least 2-4 inches past the lower portion of the bumper but not sticking out past the top of the bumper.
This also reduces drone and not look stupid at the same time.
Just my example for reference...
View attachment 355968
I have a set that is just under the bumper, every now and then I get some exhaust fumes wafting into the cabin. Guess I'll just have to drive faster!

Thanks! it sounds awesome....nice deep rumble but not intrusive. It really has a wide open exhaust now as neither the Borla's nor the resonators have any baffling.
That guy did a stellar job!
Got everything tucked up nice and tight, and terminated the tailpipes properly.

Can we see the rest of the car?

I only use the Hemi mufflers. Only mufflers where you can hear yourself at highway speeds. My wagon had glasspacks on it...best move I ever did was putting Hemi Mufflers on it.

Drone is caused by the tune-up which now is lack of proper tuning for the new exhaust configuration. Not enough back pressure/lean -incorrect- mixture/timing curve/ vac advance timing/coolant temp/high underhood temps with the wrong 180 and the right 195 thermostat - don't forget 195 degrees for all you old schooller/wives tailers [sic] who refuse to understand modern fuel chemistry and 50+ yr old cars. Is the cross over blocked and manifold heat control removed or held open?? Real mopar hemi mufflers ares till the best choice because they work. Period. Weep holes are required at the rear of the mufflers and at the resonators.
Nice exhaust work!

Back