New Member - 69 300 Convertible

jkinphxii

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I've been lurking around for a few months trying to figure out how this forum works.
Sure seems like a great place to get advice and leads on restoring my C-Body Fuselage! :)
So here goes. :)

I have a 69 300 Convertible - 440, Column Shift, A/C, Manual Windows, Power Top (Were they all power??)
All original interior with some much needed restoration. (Plastic Seat Backs, Dash numbering/lettering faded off, chrome door pulls needing polish or re-chroming...)

I am in the process of restoring/upgrading my land yacht!
I have already converted to electronic ignition.
Now I am in the process of trying to gather all the parts necessary to convert from the factory power drums to front disk brakes.

I would like to "upgrade" my wheels from the OEM 15" with stock 300 hubcaps to a set of 18's that match the original wheel and tire diameter but give the car a more modern/aggressive look.

My local Discount Tire Center ordered a couple Boss 338 wheels for me to test fit on the car.
Test fit went fine on the rear axel fitting 18*9.5 Boss 338's without issue.

The front was another issue:
While test fitting a 18x8 Boss 338 on the Front Drums the wheel fits fine in the wheel well, but the the dust cap sticks soooo far out thru the center of the wheel that the center cap to the new wheels won't go on!

I told the guy at Discount I was planning on converting to disk brakes up front so he suggested getting the disk conversion done first before committing to wheel purchase. (Once they are mounted you own em!)

So I started looking into how I could convert from drums to disk.

I found a company called SSBrakes.com (Stainless Steel Brakes .com) that has a brake conversion kit for my 69 300, however they use the original drum spindles... which doesn't mitigate my center cap issue with dust cap! (Can't just beat the dust cap flat either... it just sticks out too far... )

So I looked at other options Wilwood, and some others... none of them had any listings for a 69 300 conversion.
I called a couple vendors and they all recommended I just go find a set of spindles off a similar C-Body with disk brakes.

So I did just that...I live in Chandler AZ so I took a trip down to DVAP in Casa Grande and found a 71 Fury 4 door that had a pair of loaded spindles. Got the guys to pull em and I was off to the local repair shop to get em cleaned reassembled and installed on my car.

The problem: The rotors that came with the spindle assembly off the Fury(Two piece rotors) were trashed... so the guys at DVAP threw in a pair of rotors off a 73 Polara. What I didn't know then was there apparently is a difference in the rotors upper wheel bearing housing... on the two piece the wheel bearing housing (where the grease/dust cap goes on) is coned.. rather conical in shape, where the one piece rotor from the 73 Polara "And every other one piece rotor I have found at local parts stores Orielly, Autozone, Napa" all have a flat/cylindrical shape wheel bearing housing.

But then I decided to take the 73 Polara rotors over to Discount to see if they would work with the Boss 338 wheels.
No-Go! the fat flat non conical outer wheel bearing housing wouldn't fit throughout the center cap hole and therefore would not allow the mounting surface to make contact with the back of the wheel!

So then I started calling the local auto parts shops (Orielly, Autozone, Napa...) and no-one has one any rotors in stock for a 69-72.5 C Body... So I had Autozone order one so I could test fit it to the Boss 338 Wheel I would like to put on my car.
Again... no go! the rotor PN 5300R had the exact same cylinder shaped outer wheel bearing housing as the 73 Polara rotor that didn't work.

Then I tried taking the trashed two piece rotors over to test fit...
They worked..BUT... I still have the same center cap problem.

Has anyone else here had any success converting drum to disk AND changing/upgrading wheels?

Other things I think I want to do too this car:

Replace front Sway bar from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch sway bar.

I have a grill assembly from a 71 300 that I would like to swap out, but I think I need some sort of grill surround from a 71 to complete the swap... The 69 has turn signals integrated into what I am calling the "Grill Surround" where the 71 appears to have the turn signals in the bumper and the surround is a different shape.

I am including a couple pics of 69 and 71 front ends for reference.

Any ideas where I could get my hands on such a surround or possibly an entire front bumper grill assembly?

Lastly, my heater/A/C controls were working without issue... then suddenly after having the car "worked on" by a local dealership the buttons on the A/C heater control is stuck on Max A/C and WILL NOT MOVE.

Is this possibly a vacuum control issue?

Thanks for reading this long post!
Any input/guidance is greatly appreciated!
I look forward to hearing from this group!

JK

1969 Chrysler 300.jpg

chrysler30071f1.jpg

Appreciate the reply to the post...

Must admit these are NOT pics of MY car.. just ones from internet to use as reference for my grill dilemma...
I will post pics of my beauty as soon as I can!

:)

Welcome aboard. No experience dealing with your problem since I've kept the original drum configuration on both my old rides. The brakes work just fine for 45 year old iron. Both my rides wear vintage Mopar 15" rims. C Body Road Wheels and Ram Charger turbines. Please post pics of your ride.

Welcome to the asylum. Can't wait to see your 300. I'm still running drums on my Newport but at one point I thought of swapping to disks, however my drum brakes work very well so if it ain't broke.....
Anyways lets see some pics!

And that's why we stay with the stock brakes and wheels. They work!
Welcome aboard to FCBO.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

You have a large spindle and bearing made for a large Chrysler. Any rotor that will fit the car is going to have a large hub that will fit the spindle. Your aftermarket wheel is designed around smaller cars with smaller spindles, bearings and hubs.

I think you need to find another wheel if you have your heart set on aftermarket wheels.

Welcome and Happy New Year !!!! :welcome: :sSp_HappyNewYear:

:clock::worthless_thread::comp26:

:sSig_greetingsthor: ..... :welcome: .....
We here always demand pictures ..... much easier then reading.

I'd forget about the 18 inch wheels. They belong on chevys and things like that. Convert to OEM disc brakes and locate a set of the C body road wheels .... Life will be good then.

Personally I perfer the 69 front appearance over the 71, plus it will help maintain your cars value.

The interior stuff you need is all avaliable. Good luck with the 300.

Will.

A Few Pics... Finally...

Here are a few pics of my 69 300 Vert as of the day of purchase...

Not much has changed yet... but I have some ideas...

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

Beautiful 300 ...... Why would you even think of swapping grilles .....?

Just my opinion ..... but lose the dice, (another chevy thing).

I agree, ImO u should keep the stock grill.... It looks good the way it is. Why mess with a good thing?

Welcome! Why change anything on that car? She's a beauty as is.

Great color, convt. top, all you need are a set of factory road wheels or chrome magnums and your good to go.

Back