New Member - 71 Newport "barn find" clean car

As the crew from Monty Python would say "You lucky lucky bastard" great car, great deal, great story, great girl! Congratulations!

Please Keep it original, that's an exceptional time capsule; congrats.

Thanks again everyone, it sure is one of the coolest things thats happened to me.

Please Keep it original, that's an exceptional time capsule; congrats.

Yeah, i'm not seeing 22's and flake paint in this cars future. No need to worry about that lol. Speaking of time capsule. The glove box is mysteriously un breachable. I have the key. Well at least what i think the key is. The silver trim piece that you turn is detatched. But i can get the key to turn about 45 degrees, in either direction, but no more love. There is stuff in the glove box, but i cant get to it yet. Ive tried spraying a little graphite in the lock and no luck. It just wont pop. Any tricks to this? i really don't want to break it. But my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Also, this is the first old car i've owned where the glovebox STAYS shut, usually they are always falling open. Any tips? Do i need to reattach the chromed plastic twist knob/trim piece, or is it just for show, does the key actually do all of the turning?

Cheers
Sam.

Thanks again everyone, it sure is one of the coolest things thats happened to me.

Yeah, i'm not seeing 22's and flake paint in this cars future. No need to worry about that lol. Speaking of time capsule. The glove box is mysteriously un breachable. I have the key. Well at least what i think the key is. The silver trim piece that you turn is detatched. But i can get the key to turn about 45 degrees, in either direction, but no more love. There is stuff in the glove box, but i cant get to it yet. Ive tried spraying a little graphite in the lock and no luck. It just wont pop. Any tricks to this? i really don't want to break it. But my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Also, this is the first old car i've owned where the glovebox STAYS shut, usually they are always falling open. Any tips? Do i need to reattach the chromed plastic twist knob/trim piece, or is it just for show, does the key actually do all of the turning?

Cheers
Sam.

It uses the trunk key.

If you need to confirm that you can get a replacement box and then rip it out and go in from the back to get the latch to work.

Good luck!

Alan

It uses the trunk key.

If you need to confirm that you can get a replacement box and then rip it out and go in from the back to get the latch to work.

Good luck!

Alan

The 71 models usually had the plastic glove box rather than the cardboard one, which doesn't rip out so easily, but maybe. Yeah the trunk key usually inserts into the lock when the loose cover is swiveled into the right position to insert the key, and then it should work at opening the box door when you turn it to the right a quarter turn or less.

The 71 models usually had the plastic glove box rather than the cardboard one, which doesn't rip out so easily, but maybe. Yeah the trunk key usually inserts into the lock when the loose cover is swiveled into the right position to insert the key, and then it should work at opening the box door when you turn it to the right a quarter turn or less.

Would that only be in Chryslers? Never saw a plastic liner in a Polara

Look around the lower area of the dash below the glove box. You may be able to get the hindge screws removed and at least loosen it up enough to get the latch to release.

I wouldn't be surprised if that lucky guy will find the 100 bucks he paid for the car in that glovebox.

I estimate that this is more a $2200-$2500 car after you factor in transportation.

Still a pretty good deal and a memorable road trip.

Alan

Call the trip an adventure vacation and the price of the car drops back down to $100 :)

Yeah , including meals for all 3 of us, roach motel fees, trailer rental and all that, it was a little over 3k. But it was my Vacation. So i look at it that way also and not on the cost of the car itself.

I Stumbled upon this video.... i figure you guys have probably seen it before. Its kinda awesome because my car is showcased quite a lot in the Images. However, it appears to be a Royal they are showcasing correct?

But i don't see any mention of the Royal drivetrain combo, they state the lowbuck combo being a 383/2bbl No mention of a small block in these cars. Interesting.

Some cool slides though and i have to say, seeing the road wheels on it and that color combo all cleaned up, really makes me hate the red and white much less!

Check the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9q017Pwh9M

Great road trip you both had! Just makes the car more special to you now I think, Go on get yourself a set of roadies! 71's love um!!
P1010779.jpg

Yeah , including meals for all 3 of us, roach motel fees, trailer rental and all that, it was a little over 3k. But it was my Vacation. So i look at it that way also and not on the cost of the car itself.

I Stumbled upon this video.... i figure you guys have probably seen it before. Its kinda awesome because my car is showcased quite a lot in the Images. However, it appears to be a Royal they are showcasing correct?

But i don't see any mention of the Royal drivetrain combo, they state the lowbuck combo being a 383/2bbl No mention of a small block in these cars. Interesting.

Some cool slides though and i have to say, seeing the road wheels on it and that color combo all cleaned up, really makes me hate the red and white much less!

Check the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9q017Pwh9M

P1010779.jpg

Great road trip you both had! Just makes the car more special to you now I think, Go on get yourself a set of roadies! 71's love um!!
View attachment 36564

Wow! That car is gorgeous!!! I love the color combo!! Very nice!! I really do agree on those wheels.

I finally was able to throw together some of the Video from the Trip. You may find it a little boring, but most of this stuff i do for my personal photo album/scrapbook of a car. I've kept video and photo diarys of prettymuch every car i've had since i was about 17. But only in the last few years have i started posting to forums and uploading these types of videos publicly.

Anyhow heres the first installment. Of the Newport Saga. The second one is about 9 minutes long and its a walk around of the car once its been all cleaned up and a few questions i had specifically for you guys. So hopefully i'll get that one uploaded later this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsXWf2hRVUY&list=UUmePrFCrt-O1RMvxbUSd4_Q

Plenty more videos to come once i really get started into the Project.

Cheers
Sam.

Nice, well I hope that grand specimen will see better times that just becoming another burnout machine. That is a seriously nice survivor ride you scored there, treat it like gold.

Nice, well I hope that grand specimen will see better times that just becoming another burnout machine. That is a seriously nice survivor ride you scored there, treat it like gold.

I was laughing that it might be the first burnout the car has ever done in its life! Pretty cool. I'll be pulling the motor at some point and maybe throw some fresh set of gaskets and ill check bearing clearances, and if need be throw a new set in. I enjoy driving my cars thats for sure.

Thanks for checking it out!

Back