New member in northern Maine

Funny thing, I don't see any reference to "almost new muscle cars" there, except from your addition..
One more time:
he story was that the cars were from military men who went off to Nam from the Air Force base up there and never re-claimed them.
"and never re-claimed them"

So Johnny/Mary go off to war after being drafted at 18. In those days, the draft board didn't screw around. They needed replacement bodies badly. The body bags coming back outstripped the supply going in. Not in school? You reported for your physical the week you turned 18. Gee, Johnny/Mary by 18 has a new tri-power GTO? NOT. Anyway, you just graduated from high school but you're too poor to go college to get a student deferment but you have a new GTO and you turn 18. You kiss yo'mama goodbye and leave your new GTO in their garage. You come home in a bodybag. Mama/papa are so distraught that after a few years the Goat with 3,000 mile on it goes off the this crazy old coot's junk yard. Hundreds of them.

Greg. I came from a working class neighborhood where everybody went off to Viet Nam at 18. None of us had muscle cars. Nobody. If you came home, THAT'S when you bought your muscle car. And boy, did they ever. During those post Viet Nam years, every day we heard a new story about an elderly couple who advertised a Chevrolet 2 door for sale for $500 and it turned out to be an L-88 Vette. Every day.

Please, if you weren't there, and 1/2 of you weren't even born yet, don't talk about how it's possible. Maybe it happened once or twice as opposed to the thousands of legends. Stop defending the statement to the point where it's stretched so thin you need a microscope to see it. Any muscle cars that made it to that yard were when they were simply old used wrecks totalled by the insurance company. All three of them...

Last edited:
Again, Stan, you are seeing a statement that isn't there.

The only person saying "almost new muscle cars", or muscle cars of any sort here, is you. Not me. You. The only car I even mentioned was a '55 Merc, hardly a muscle car. Where are you getting this from? I'm baffled.

As for the circumstances as to where the cars in the yard came from, the only thing going on there at that time was the AFB. Beyond that, the reasons the cars were there are speculation at best.

Back in the early 1990s when I first got into old cars, there were stories going around of a legendary junkyard in Northern Maine that had lots of cars from the 1950s and 1960s. The story was that the cars were from military men who went off to Nam from the Air Force base up there and never re-claimed them. Any stories about that place?

You mentioned it but it was meant as a question, not a fact.

Last weekend this Chrysler became available. It was bought new in June 1970 for $3990 including tax. I have the original receipt. It remained in the family until now; as people passed away it would be inherited by another member. The plates ran out in 2000 and it was stored in a garage ever since, untouched. The farmer who owned the garage lost the farm so the owner had to go have it towed to his house... that was the first time the car had ever seen snow. It sat in his driveway since late last winter.

Evidently they moved, as the house appears empty and they posted it on a facebook group, must sell, needs to go asap, all that. They wanted $700, I offered $500, we settled at $600. The tires are H78-15 dated 1990. One was flat so I pulled the spare, which was dated 1980.

It's a 1970 Newport, more or less a base model, not a lot of options; it has power drum brakes, no a/c, AM radio, etc. 383 of course. 60,000 original miles, never in an accident, original paint. No tears in the seats. All I could see bad inside was dumb stuff, some severe discoloration on the side of one headrest and armrest, a broken piece on a sun visor (the little tip that pops into place by the mirror), the chrome button on the glove box won't stay on, dumb little stuff like that. Lots of surface rust on the trunk floor where moisture has been held by the mat.

This is the first two door hardtop I've ever owned that I don't have to pick the doors up to shut.

I put a battery in it the other night and it cranked over ungodly slow. Last night I pulled the plugs and shot some PB Blaster into the cylinders. #7 cylinder was wonderful....had to crawl underneath to pull the plug.

I pulled the starter, removed the end cap and saw the bushing was badly out of round. When it was on the car it sounded wicked dry, squeaking as it turned. I weighed going through this one against dropping $50 or $60 on a rebuilt. I'll just buy one. It was suggested I go with a newer style high performance starter but they're $160.

I'm hoping to hear it run before the weekend is done.

20ayzhu.jpg

ot455t.jpg

24metll.jpg

2cnb91e.jpg

2iiwcwy.jpg

This car is now offered for sale on a well-known auction site. Starting bid is $3250.

It's ONLY because of the Corvette lust. I'm probably making a big mistake.

By all means. Everyone tells me it's like driving a bath tub down the road and they are generally a POS. I'd just like to experience it first hand.

Well, the proposed budget dictates it will be something in the 80s (C4), although I'd rather have a C3.

One more time:

"and never re-claimed them"

So Johnny/Mary go off to war after being drafted at 18. In those days, the draft board didn't screw around. They needed replacement bodies badly. The body bags coming back outstripped the supply going in. Not in school? You reported for your physical the week you turned 18. Gee, Johnny/Mary by 18 has a new tri-power GTO? NOT. Anyway, you just graduated from high school but you're too poor to go college to get a student deferment but you have a new GTO and you turn 18. You kiss yo'mama goodbye and leave your new GTO in their garage. You come home in a bodybag. Mama/papa are so distraught that after a few years the Goat with 3,000 mile on it goes off the this crazy old coot's junk yard. Hundreds of them.

Greg. I came from a working class neighborhood where everybody went off to Viet Nam at 18. None of us had muscle cars. Nobody. If you came home, THAT'S when you bought your muscle car. And boy, did they ever. During those post Viet Nam years, every day we heard a new story about an elderly couple who advertised a Chevrolet 2 door for sale for $500 and it turned out to be an L-88 Vette. Every day.

Please, if you weren't there, and 1/2 of you weren't even born yet, don't talk about how it's possible. Maybe it happened once or twice as opposed to the thousands of legends. Stop defending the statement to the point where it's stretched so thin you need a microscope to see it. Any muscle cars that made it to that yard were when they were simply old used wrecks totalled by the insurance company. All three of them...

I bought my used 1969 Super Bee (my first car) in 1971 when I was 17. I'm from a blue collar family (oldest of 7) and worked and paid for the car and insurance myself. When I was 19 I traded the Bee and bought my new 1973 Dodge Challenger.... and joined the Army in 1976.

But you didn't leave it at a junkyard, enter the military, and come home in a body bag.
The whole effen premise to that "story" is that new muscle cars went to the junkyard. You know they didn't.
Why is everybody trying to say that myth could possibly be true? Yah, it could possibly be true that I nailed Sopfia Loren back then, too.

Posted via Topify using Android

But you didn't leave it at a junkyard, enter the military, and come home in a body bag.
The whole effen premise to that "story" is that new muscle cars went to the junkyard. You know they didn't.
Why is everybody trying to say that myth could possibly be true? Yah, it could possibly be true that I nailed Sopfia Loren back then, too.

And again, Stan, the only one making statements about body bags and muscle cars is you. Give it a rest, OK?

Posted via Topify using Android

Lucky you!!!! LOL!

Sophia-Loren-sophia-loren-14908679-437-640.jpg

Back