New Vinyl roof...

picture with the roof off

I didn't go up to get one...he said that in 68 they changed from lead at the roof seam to almost like a seam sealer and some of that came out when he removed the vinyl top. He said that he removed all of it and redid it with much better material. The roof was sanded down to bare metal and then sealed with POR15.

Was the roof really clean metal or was there still some etching across the roof from surface rust? POR-15 does not like smooth clean metal as there is nothing for it to bite onto and grip.

He said there was etching from surface rust, he removed all of the old glue and cleaned it up.

I would have liked to see what it looked like under there. Show us pictures of the roof done please

Here is what it looked like under a 73

Polara_top_005.jpg

I would have liked to see what it looked like under there. Show us pictures of the roof done please

Actually I expected to hear that it was pretty bad but I have gotten to the point were I expect the worst. He said that he has seen a lot worse and for him to say that he is under budget is really something. He has 4 mopars in his shop right now all in various stages.

I didn't go up to get one...he said that in 68 they changed from lead at the roof seam to almost like a seam sealer and some of that came out when he removed the vinyl top. He said that he removed all of it and redid it with much better material. The roof was sanded down to bare metal and then sealed with POR15.

I was wondering about the use of body filler, that is what it was, to fill that area and when it started. Reason being because when I stripped my 68 Mustang that seam for the roof was filled with lead.

He said they went with something like a seam sealer, maybe it was lead if you didn't have a vinyl roof??

Good to hear Red, can't wait to see it. All the seems on my 68 RR were lead, non V.T. Car.

I'm the kind of guy who would inspect the roof personally just to make sure what it actually looks like, I'd wonder what they did under there for the rest of my life, no matter how well accepted the company is.
I'm not at all familiar with POR15 is it in this case applied with a spray gun and hardener or is this some single stage affair or was there body paint applied afterwards as well ?
Has anyone experience if this is resistent to the ingredients of the glue that is used to put on the vinyl top. I had once the case with glue for the headliner that the paint got soft and the whole thing did not harden out. Just a thought.

I've had a couple of bad experiences over the years plus always interested in body related issues as I do nearly all of it by myself up to the point where it comes to the actual paint work.

Last edited:
I knew that already. :yes: Was interested about the procedure they went with in Red`s case.
The shops are not that familiar with vinyl tops over here anymore, think there's still way more work done in the US as a high percentage of cars from 60s-80s came that way, so they restore them more often as well.

Last edited:
Ok, took a drive this morning and got some photos....the roof looks amazing. The only places he used POR 15 on was the places where he replaced the seam sealer, made repairs or wanted to add more protection.

P1010066.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

P1010070.jpg

P1010071.jpg

P1010072.jpg

I knew that already. :yes: Was interested about the procedure they went with in Red`s case.
The shops are not that familiar with vinyl tops over here anymore, think there's still way more work done in the US as a high percentage of cars from 60s-80s came that way, so they restore them more often as well.

The way it ws explained to me was that POR15 penetrates into all of the small imperfections that you don't see. By doing this it seals out any air or moisture that can be trapped that can turn into rust later on.

Looks to be solid. Personally, I'd go for a complete paintjob for the roof, I tend to overkill in such issues.
You'll probably be fine that way as well, after all the first top with the factory preparation lasted 45 years as well.

Looks to be solid. Personally, I'd go for a complete paintjob for the roof, I tend to overkill in such issues.
You'll probably be fine that way as well, after all the first top with the factory preparation lasted 45 years as well.

He had the new vinyl laying on the roof to get all of the wrinkles out but its not ready to install as of yet. The factory paint can be seen in several photos as well as the red lead.

Back