New Yorker Disc's on a 70 Polara

jesse21

Reaction score
So I'm looking to buy a 76 New Yorker for the power train for my 70 Polara. I was wondering since I'm getting a whole car with disc brakes for parts, can I use the front end pieces to make my Polara a disc brake car?

Last edited:
You need the spindles from a 1973 only disc brake C-body to use the 74+ brake setup. It ll be a bolt in.
The bad news: finding the $pindle$

Its hard enough to find any C body up here. So do you think 2 grand is too much for a 440 and 727 which is pretty much all I'm gonna get out of this New Yorker? I'll take the front end in case I do ever stumble across a set of 73 disc brake spindles, and I'll probably take the center section from the diff. But other than that I don't think I can use, or need, anything else from the car. Owner says the 440/727 were "rebuilt 30k ago."

im not the expert - but im gonna say no. i think if your polara is a small block car currently, the whole k frame has to change, etc, for the big motor. if it is already a big boy, it might work. im not in your shoes, but for me $2k is too much to pay for a used motor + trans especially if you dont even want the rest of it. hell you can get your 727 totally redone for $1k.

Well I guess I could take the whole diff if it's a 9 1/4. And I'm fairly sure a k member swap isn't necessary to go from a small to big block. It was my understanding that different mounts are all you need.

Back