Power window problem

73nyorkerbroughm

Reaction score
The drivers window won’t work from master switch, but the remaining 3 windows will operate from their respective switches. I have tried another master switch with no luck, the interior lights don’t dim at all when pushing button, usually that will cause a slight dimming of the interior lights but this isn’t the case. Any advice?

It does not sound like you are getting a voltage draw from the driver side window motor. Could be several things:

1) Pull the door panel and remove the plug from the motor. Are the terminals to the motor and plug corroded? If so clean as required.
2.) Use a test light to see if the motor is getting power in both the up and down switch positions. With the the test light hooked to a good ground the light should light in the respective up and down switch positions.
3. Check to be sure there is a good ground to the motor.
4.) If all of the above are normal, the motor is likely bad and will need to be repaired/replaced.

Dave

Unplug the window motor. Run a jumper wire from ground to one terminal and a jumper wire from positive to the other terminal. At this point, it doesn't matter which terminal. See what happens, then reverse the jumpers. If the window goes up and down, there's a problem in the switch or wiring. If it doesn't work, it's the motor.

Most likely, it's the motor.

The post does not specify if the vehicle had a working motor that has quit or if the car was bought this way. The mechanism could be frozen due to corrosion on the pivot, usually there will be a strong voltage draw if this is the case. Would be a good time to lubricate the pivot even if the motor proves bad.

Dave

Start simple: spray electrical contact cleaner into the problem door switch. If does not work pull the door panel off enough to get to the window motor and wrap a couple times on it with a hammer. If I don't use one of my car back window motor is will not go down. Once in the first part of the season I will do this and will be fine on its own.

Hi guys, to clarify a little more, the other 3 windows won’t work from maser switch but will work from the other door switches.

Hi guys, to clarify a little more, the other 3 windows won’t work from maser switch but will work from the other door switches.

That suggests that you have a wiring problem to the master switch, most likely in the harness to the driver door.

Dave

In that case, look at the tan wire going to the master switch. There should be power.

Check the output voltage to the window motor itself from the master switch. Do this right at the motor (left quarter window for example) while operating the master switch. A test light showed mine to have voltage but when I put a multimeter to it, there was less than 8 volts present, which was not enough to overcome the drag of the regulator. 49 year old switch contacts and pins will do that.

Whatever you find (open wire, bad switch, dirty contacts) installing relays are of great benefit. See Big_Johns thread on this.

Had to repair wires in door jamb, source of problem was chafed wire again, respliced wire with solderless connectors, now looking for rollers for window, difficult to find, everything online is for a, b, e bodies.........no c bodies, such bullshit.

Back