Power windows still working when engine off and key out.

JayZ

Reaction score
Here's the gist of it. My father had put a stereo system(20 years ago) in his. Now mine 1965 Sport Fury. So I removed it today. Now the widows still have power and the top as well when everything shut off and key out. Any ideas. I've been monkeying around with it for several hours.

I want to say I don’t need the keys to operate the windows in my ‘67 Imp either and it’s not been altered in any way.

I want to say I don’t need the keys to operate the windows in my ‘67 Imp either and it’s not been altered in any way.
Yep Mopar idiocycracy of that era. My 67 imp also had functional windows with the key removed. Think my 60 imperial is the same. Making up for it is the fact that 3 windows on my NYB don’t work, car started or not..

I'm pretty sure they didnt do this before I took out the stereo.

No, I'm not sure. Dont have meter here to see if theres a drain or not.

You should find a wiring diagram and verify how it should be wired. These guys are probably right that it was made this way. Maybe the radio was pulling the power that is for the windows and top. Check the wires where the radio was hooked up.

The convertible top will work without the key all the way to '70 on a C Body. Pretty much sure that this is also true with the windows until '69. I put in a battery disconnect switch on my '64 Chrysler so that my kids would not play with the windows and the top when no one was watching.

Dave

Yep, my 70 vert top works without the key on, although the windows don't.

I took a look at my '65 FSM and the power windows aren't wired to switched power... So... Yea, you just never noticed that they worked without the key on.

The windows on my '68 don't operate with the key off. I have never tried the top with the key off, but I will try it

It's not just Mopars. Other cars of that era had tops and windows that functioned without the key. The idea was that a good Sam would put up your windows if it was raining and you forgot. What's crazy is that I remember my parents doing that once.

'67 Caddy went as far as adding an "emergency" setting to the power window lockout. My aunt had one.

A different world.

Back