question about the "appearance" of factory 68 disc brake components.

strokerpost

Reaction score
I'm putting 73 discs on my 68, but I'm interested in making it look correct at least so far as color on the different pieces...spindles, calipers, caliper mounts, and for that matter, upper and lower control arms and lower ball joint/steering arms, even though its 73 stuff on a 68. Were these pieces black or natural or something else? Thanks for any help. Ken.

Here are some pics of my '67 but should be the same. It all appears to be the color of dirt but prior to that I would say the cast pieces were left natural while the stamped pieces and the bars were a satin black.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I couldnt think of a way to word a response without being long winded. Nice job Matt

I couldnt think of a way to word a response without being long winded. Nice job Matt
Hey, wind is good, let'r fly if ya got useable info. Lol. Thanks for the pix Matt, I would agree with your accessment, rust covered would prolly be bare metal out of the factory. These donor pieces that I got are THICK with grease and crud, the worst I've ever messed with. Balljoints haven't had boots for many years by the looks of things. sadly the dust covers are rusted to pieces, wasn't planning on that.

The Right Stuff for new shields.

its a company but all I see on their website for a c body is brake lines

I would think they would be compatible but maybe not.

Try Eastwood, they have a nice selection of chassis paints ,(in spray cans) a little pricey but worth it .

I don't understand this fascination everyone has with Eastwood.
They sell nothing that isn't available elsewhere without the Eastwood panache tax added to it.
One stop shopping? Yes, they are convenient for that.
Has anybody actually looked at the entire Rustoleum Industrial Coatings line? Phenomenal.
Example:
http://www.rustoleumibg.com/product.asp?lvl=P&pnv=2&snv=2&pid=142
Tint bases also available for custom colors.
Can Eastwood do that?

Eastwood is just a quick reference and a convenience that I use sometimes when I want something quick.

I've got an old list out in the shop breaking down the factory's colors on various brake and suspension parts. It's not in a format I can share immediately but I can retype it for inclusion here when time permits.

I've got an old list out in the shop breaking down the factory's colors on various brake and suspension parts. It's not in a format I can share immediately but I can retype it for inclusion here when time permits.

That would be great if you would be willing to do that for me /us. I will never have a concours perfect resto, nor do I want to, but I do like for stuff to look a certain way, even if its out of site. Lol. Thanks,
Ken.

Oh crap, this totally slipped my mind stroker! I'll add it to my To Do List ... :D Sorry for the delay and for keeping you all waiting.

There was a guy several years ago that was trying to introduce "Preservation Restoration". His thought was that people spent thousands of dollars restoring a car only to have the steering and rearend componets rusted again within a few months and he was trying to get coatings allowed that would mimic the original finishes without taking points away. I am not sure how he made out, I thought it was a good idea myself.

I knowwwww darlin, I'm sorry. I've got the sheet out on my work bench.

But hey, ya know what? Instead of typing the thing all over from scratch and reinventing the wheel, I can probably just take pictures of it instead. :D I'll try to get it posted tomorrow night.

I melted just a little when I imagined how you said "I knowwww darlin'"....

Back