Question about weather and moving cars....

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
It's getting cold, and soon snow will be a possibility, Soon the Fury has to be taken over to it's temporary home (it will be seeing some more new metal and eventually paint..........and the emptying of my wallet), so my question is, how do you guys protect your cars when or if they had to be moved in crappy weather with an open trailer?

Nick

As long as bare is not exposed and no salty road slop gets splashed up on it snow is just like rain but with much less water content.

Just haul the car to its new location, then wash it thoroughly when you get there. Trying to cover a car on an open hauler is usually a dumb idea. Just get it from Point A to Point B and be done with it. It ain't rocket science. It's lasted nearly 44 years. A trip in the snow isn't gonna hurt it. You are having body work done on it anyway, so...?

I hauled a 1956 Hudson Wasp from central North Dakota to central Oklahoma in 2001. It snowed from the pickup point, all the way to Wichita, Kansas. Got the car home, washed it at a car wash that had a belly washer, then dried the car completely. No problems.

Last edited:
Know anyone that pulls a flatbed they will have a 24' with 4' drops at least and if it will stay on a load it will stay on your car as long as not in paint.

What am I missing? Wrap it in a car cover.

As the car cover flaps in the wind, it can easily wear the paint off the edges of the body lines from abrasion. The cover gets wet too and holds the salt and dirt against the body.

I've moved cars in the winter a few times and if you can catch a dry day, the car won't get dirty on the trailer. On a bad day... they get filthy. Best bet is a stop at the local self serve car wash while the car is still on the trailer. Bring a pocket full of quarters.

Back