RH mirror for C body

SF-66TC

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with reproduction mirrors in terms of quality, look & feel? I know mating a RH repro to my existing LF may look out of place, but how is the quality? Or anyone have a reasonably priced used one in good condition. I want to install on my 66TC.

I bought one it looks exactly like the original. Seems like a very good reproduction. Now that being said mine is all show, it is either the mirror is not as adjustable as the original or I installed in improperly. Before you drill any holes make sure you have help and mark the position with tape or something.

Zymurgy, was there something about installing it that could limit the mirror adjustment? How about the weight of the repro vs the original? How was your original mounted vs the repro? What was wrong with your original? Is it still in decent shape just has patina?

Zymurgy, was there something about installing it that could limit the mirror adjustment? How about the weight of the repro vs the original? How was your original mounted vs the repro? What was wrong with your original? Is it still in decent shape just has patina?

The reproduction couldn't be as adjustable as an original as it can not be adjusted to be of any use.
It is something that has been said about the reproductions before elsewhere.

I could be wrong but that was what I saw when this was first posted.

Alan

The reproduction couldn't be as adjustable as an original as it can not be adjusted to be of any use.
It is something that has been said about the reproductions before elsewhere.

I could be wrong but that was what I saw when this was first posted.

Alan

I think Alan is right about the lack of adjustment. I felt like I got it in the right place, but my car didn't come with a right mirror so I made my own new holes. I ran into the same thing with my MGB and I know they are the lack of adjustment, because it is a 2 piece and I used the original base. They are total useless on the driver's side of my MGB.

If it isn't just for show, based on what Alan said I would not recommend, but everything else from weight to quality was nice.

CvMLEyr.jpg

Posted via Topify on Android

I think Alan is right about the lack of adjustment. I felt like I got it in the right place, but my car didn't come with a right mirror so I made my own new holes. I ran into the same thing with my MGB and I know they are the lack of adjustment, because it is a 2 piece and I used the original base. They are total useless on the driver's side of my MGB.

If it isn't just for show, based on what Alan said I would not recommend, but everything else from weight to quality was nice.

Thanks for the confirmation - got ahold of a used one, but it didn't come with any hardware to install. Was about to get one, but if it can't be adjusted it won't be useful. Is the only thing that secures it is two screws & the rubber gasket?

Thanks for the confirmation - got ahold of a used one, but it didn't come with any hardware to install. Was about to get one, but if it can't be adjusted it won't be useful. Is the only thing that secures it is two screws & the rubber gasket?

On mine, one was a machine screw and the other a bolt and the gasket. The gasket will be the hardest thing.

In case you change your mind and get a good used piece like I did chances are the ball and socket adjuster will be frozen. I had to soak in WD40 overnight to get it loose.

In case you change your mind and get a good used piece like I did chances are the ball and socket adjuster will be frozen. I had to soak in WD40 overnight to get it loose.

Fratzog for the used piece that you got, did it come with the hardware to install it? Did it come with a stud and nut like the repos do as shown in Commando1's photo?

CvMLEyr.jpg

Commando1 - I'm assuming two holes are needed to secure the mirror to the body. Question: is the stud with the nut just used to hold the head and base together and used as a centering piece or does the NUT also secure the mirror from the underside of the body?

Fratzog for the used piece that you got, did it come with the hardware to install it? Did it come with a stud and nut like the repos do as shown in Commando1's photo?
Yes it came with everything including gasket stud and nut. Southern used parts seem to have better chrome in my experience.

Commando1 - I'm assuming two holes are needed to secure the mirror to the body. Question: is the stud with the nut just used to hold the head and base together and used as a centering piece or does the NUT also secure the mirror from the underside of the body?
The hole at the back of the chrome base is where a screw is used to secure the mirror. I needed to mark and drill a hole for a stainless Phillips head screw.

I don't know about C bodies but on some Mopars the pass mirrors were installed a little further back on the pass door than the drivers door. So they aren't a mirror image in regards to installation.

I wonder if that affects the usefulness some have had

Anyone have an original slab with a factory passenger mirror? Is it further back?

CvMLEyr.jpg

As Fred kindly answered above.

I don't know about C bodies but on some Mopars the pass mirrors were installed a little further back on the pass door than the drivers door. So they aren't a mirror image in regards to installation.

I wonder if that affects the usefulness some have had

Anyone have an original slab with a factory passenger mirror? Is it further back?
SOB! Never knew that. On both my cars I just used the driver side location as a template. Have had no vision issues with the installation.

My 69 300 parts car came with a factory right side mirror and it was located in the same position as the driver side. I made a template off it and drilled the holes in Jazebelles pass door. Works fine, good vision. I used an NOS mirror.
One caution .... Be sure that when locating the mirror that it does not interfere with the operation of the vent window.

Back