Rust removal on my 66 Polara

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
So since the front end was completed this past June, it is now time to tackle the rear of the car rusties.

So far I have been uncovering the past sins of the hacked up restoration that took place over 20 years ago.
I have a long ways to go.

A couple of tips for what I an amateur body repairman as well know is that body filler makes for a poor repair where critical strength is required.
There was too much bondo and mess used for my liking...
Like where the inner rear fenders connect to the floor or where the cross braces go to connect the inner fenders or the trunk floor patches...

So here is what it looks like and the long road I have to go down...

I think the biggest challenge for me is to make sure that the rear quarters are properly supported as I cut out the rusted areas.

20141101_131136.jpg

20141101_131141.jpg

20141101_153011.jpg

20141101_154804.jpg

Last edited:
More of the trunk floor as I peel up the rotted trunk & passenger rear floor

20150112_175225.jpg

20150112_175244.jpg

20150116_073905.jpg

20150116_073947.jpg

Last edited:
This shall be interesting, as bad as mine were :)

Yikes! I don't envy you. Do you have a doner car? If not it looks as though you're going to need some fabrication skills. Maybe Nick can come over and give you a hand.

Yikes! I don't envy you. Do you have a doner car? If not it looks as though you're going to need some fabrication skills. Maybe Nick can come over and give you a hand.

I don't know who Nick is but sure! Send him over!! LOL!!

might want to pull the rear bumper to see how far the frame rust goes. sometimes there is nothing behind the brackets when they are removed

I know Nick...:buffer: he turned a sow's ear into a silk purse!

X2 ^.....your going about right, it is going to take plenty of patience, I know there will much help here, might check Youtube. When I did my Firebird last year, I learned a lot there. I had never done 1/4 panels before, found a guy doing a Camaro restoration, helped a lot, good luck man! Kel

might want to pull the rear bumper to see how far the frame rust goes. sometimes there is nothing behind the brackets when they are removed

already into that area. it had been patched before... not good though. I plan to make a pattern with the old plate and make a nice new one.
I have made contact with a seller on the moparts.com site for a floor pan and trunk pan & rails.
I will have to see if it can work out.

Apparently the fury line is 2" shorter in the wheel base but ifthe steel is in good condition, i can stretch it to fit.

Not sure what your budget allows, but if there is anyway you can swing the $425, one of these plasma cutter makes life sooooo much easier. You can get into places your cutting wheels can't and will help with all the new metal you will be working on, not to mention the many uses you will find for it other than this project. I've had mine(50) for a year, bought when I did my Firebird, and so glad I got it. Again, I know $425 will buy many other parts and pieces you will need, just throwing it out there, Kel

http://plasmametalcutter.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=rembtcppkr6mr9jptrn3v9j7t0

Left quarter (Large).jpg

Left quarter (Large).jpg

Thanks for the suggestion.
Ill try to scare one up through some of my local car restoration accomplices... ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion.
Ill try to scare ome up through some of my local car restoration accomplices... ;)

Cool, if you do, give yourself a little time to get the hang of it, takes just a little practice, once you do, you'll wish you had it before you started...

At this point I'd be thinking WTF did I get myself into???

Ha!! If you only knew...well sounds like you did....

My point for showing the pics is that the 'bird was my first restoration, yes, was a bit intimidating at times, I did learn a lot about patience and perseverance. Just trying to encourage the fellas tackling their own projects that even if you aren't an "expert", they can do a great job as well. There is a enormous amount of satisfaction when someone asks "who did your car".....you can say, "I did everything".

left.jpg

left.jpg

I got the leaf springs out now and taking measurements to make sure I put the frame rails that I am getting in the proper place :)
My goodness I am surprised this car didn't do a low rider on me..

I got the trunk rails out today and started cleaning up the inner wheel wells.
There is a lot of rust going on but nothing that can't be fixed...
I'm picking up the new trunk pan and side extensions on Monday then off on business for for the week into Mount Prospect Illinios

20150131_151944.jpg

20150131_151932.jpg

20150131_151938.jpg

Back