SAY IT AIN'T SO.

The reason I commented as I did about GM pickups and no manual trans past the middle 1990s was based on what our sales manager told me after a week-long dealer trip to MI. That was about the same time that GM started to use the Allison automatic. He said "no more manual transmissions" as the automatics with lock-up torque converters had the same fuel economy as the manuals used to have. With mpg the same, no need for a manual transmission. After that, I noticed that our sales of dual-mass flywheels and such (to help diminish the "gear rattle at idle" of the Getrag 5-speeds) and the clutch master cylinders (due to bent push rods) dried up. That was in the middle 1990s time frame.

My research this afternoon revealed that GM did indeed have the 5-speed availabilityty in 1500s into the 2007 model year, BUT only in the "carry-over" body and not in the "new body" 2007s. Which is 10 years past where we didn't get any inquiries for clutch parts or clutch master cylinders. As we were, at the time, one of the larger volume consumer light truck dealers in DFW and TX, I figured that everybody was doing as we were, apparently not stocking or selling any manual trans pickup trucks. In the '88 "new body" platform, we sold lots of V-6 Getrag 5-speed pickups (usually short bed stepsides) to younger buyers. But after that, no more manual trans pickups on the lot. Just my experiences from back then.

We usually spec'd the pickups with mid-level and above trim and options so they'd have good resale later on. Ford dealers, on the other hand, sold lots of base-trim 1/2 ton shortbeds to younger buyers, with Ford add-on a/c and an inexpensive rear "step" bumper. Buyers who couild only afford a single vehicle and the husband needed a pickup truck for work. AND they sold lots of them that way, from what I could tell. Different markets for each brand. Just as during the Barnett Shale oil boom a while back, many younger pipeline welders would get a base trim Ram 2500HD diesel and a Lincoln welding rig mounted in the bed.

So, apparently my experiences didn't really match product spec reality.

The first time I saw a new pickup with an automatic trans (other than some '50s GMCs with HydraMatics) was in 1962. A bull dozer contractor had just got his new '62 Chevy 3/4 ton, with a (gasp!!!) PowerGlide and a 283 V-8. And, he had a PosiTraction rear axle. He was singing the praises of the PowerGlide as it was easier to drive across sandy fields to his work without getting stuck. Easier to start without spinning the wheels. Seems this was his 2nd PG pickup, but this time, with a PosiTrac. He claimed he could "go anywhere" without the drama of having to gear down with a manual transmission. In a time where "real pickups" had the old "Granny" $-speed New Process 4-speed manual trans. Mostly Chevies and GMCs were in this area, back then. Some Fords and rare Dodges.

Take care,
CBODY67

1D34BC59-0CD0-4472-8754-A9C19F361AEA.jpeg
I guess I’ll be hanging on to this for a while...

I don't get the appeal towards anything new. One could completely revamp a 60's, 70's sweptside for a fraction of the cost of a new pickup and end up with a REAL truck. Even including upgrades to brakes, suspension and interior. Plus, if well maintained, there will be no depreciation. Take the 25K you save and buy a C body. JMHO

You should see the looks I get walking around to unlock and open the passenger door for my wife.

Thank you for your respect towards all women (except our sisters) as told in The Gentleman's Guide.

I do that even when I have a key fob that opens the door. BTW, a real woman reaches across and unlocks your door!

Want to really get a look? Hold your wife's coat in a restaurant and help her put it on. You'll get a lot of looks for that maneuver and she'll love the attention from you and from the envious women. The best one is to send flowers to your wife when she works in an office with other women. Yea...

Anyway, back to trucks. I love my 2WD Ranger. Perfect size for me. 4 cylinder, roll up windows. Hauls everything I'm gonna haul.

OPwuWOV.jpg

When people would use the "f-o-r-d" acronym, with the last letters meaning "old rebuilt Dodge", I'd reply . . . "At least the old Dodge was worth rebuilding".

I always liked the '72-era Dodge pickups, which took many cues from the '69 Chevy CST pickups (lower side trim is one), but in a Chrysler orientation of things. Wished they'd put torsion bars under them, rather than the less expensive coil springs.

The '74 Ramchargers were neat, too! Especially with a "strangled" 440 in them. Of course, un-strangling it was possible, too. Always had this fantasy of putting one in "low lock" and going around the Sonic drive-in parking lot sideways on Saturday night. hehe

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You see these always scattered around HD. Damn scary what I've seen loaded onto them.
I just rent a truck when I need to carry more.

I helped move my youngest son a couple weeks ago. The U-Haul was $75 plus gas ... Compare that to a $500 monthly payment and suddenly a large truck makes no sense at all.

What all did you have done to it?
Remove 13 years of bumps, dings, dents, scratches, scrapes, creases, bent bumper, pushed in tailgate and general daily abuse.
Polyurethane single stage industrial coating by my friend who did the New Yorker.
And a spiffy new get-outta-my-way mailbox/trash can deflector. Pesky bastards.

b35c4ee89730384e5d9e182f8da11d75b777a644-14.jpg

Remove 13 years of bumps, dings, dents, scratches, scrapes, creases, bent bumper, pushed in tailgate and general daily abuse.
Polyurethane single stage industrial coating by my friend who did the New Yorker.
And a spiffy new get-outta-my-way mailbox/trash can deflector. Pesky bastards.

View attachment 315365
Looks good.:thumbsup:

Back