Scenicruisin'..?

Newell and Prevost coaches are a bit over the top for me. That being said, I think the shell from Prevost is the best starting point for a coach. Mine is what you would almost consider an entry level coach on a Freightliner chassis with a Cat 350 HP.

I rattled my buddy with the Newell bus...er, Motor Coach ... last night now that i am energized again over my Scenicruiser project.

High end rigs...outside my range for a deal like this...and a little too much "hey look at me" for my taste.

Nothing against anybody who has one -- and if I rubbed a lamp and a Genie gave me one I'd find a way to live with myself afterward-- but the collector in me is still seeking "unique and old" on my tour of America.

http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used...67&vrsn=hybrid

Newell1.jpgnewell2.jpgnewell3.jpg

Newell1.jpg

newell2.jpg

newell3.jpg

Newell and Prevost coaches are a bit over the top for me. That being said, I think the shell from Prevost is the best starting point for a coach. Mine is what you would almost consider an entry level coach on a Freightliner chassis with a Cat 350 HP.

thanks. never heard of Prevost though.

sorry, i botched an edit to my Newell post so I delete and reposted ...thats how we got outta order.

My brain cells finally kicked in.
You want a 2000 N14 Cummins.
I bet a bus can get 12 mpg with it.
The ISX series is too modern ($).

You can Google it.

The Newell Specs; http://www.newellcoach.com/features/specifications/

Specifications

Engine
Cummins ISX 2010 EPA 600-bhp 1,950-lb./ft. torque

Transmission

Allison HD4000MH six-speed automatic

Axle ratio

Tires

Front axle and tag axle: Michelin XZA-365/70R22.5 Load Range L
Drive axle: Michelin XZA-2 315/80R 22.5 Load Range L

Brakes

Air disc with 6-channel ABS

Suspension

ZF CDC active suspension
Steer axle: ZF independent
Drive axle: ZF wide base
Tag axle: ZF active steer

Alternator

12-volt 300 amp

Batteries

House: Six type-8D AGM sealed with PulseTech automatic equalization
Chassis: Two type-8D AGM sealed with PulseTech automatic equalization

Steering

ZF hydraulic boost with variable ratio
EasiSteer computer controlled enhanced

Inverter

Dual Outback 2800-watt pure sine wave

Electrical service

50-amp with SurgeGuard automatic protection

Generator
20 kilowatt

Exterior width

102 inches

Interior headroom

89 inches

Exterior height

13 ft. 3 in. (top of air conditioners)

Fresh-water capacity
Standard: 143 gallons
Optional: 184 gallon

Holding-tank capacity

Standard: 143 gallons
Optional: 184 gallons

Fuel capacity

195 gallons

I wondered why my ears were hot. One of the older Cummins 10 liter engines would do well in that or a modern ISM series. A N14 or a ISX is a little over kill, fuel mileage and drive line would suffer. How you could get it connected to trans is another story. Anything up to the exhaust filter engines are good. Also series 60 and I think series 50 (smaller displacement) are very good engines also and have their lineage with the 4,6,8,12,16, - 71 engines. Mechanical diesel engines are okay but mileage, parts and finding someone to work on it in a place you are not familiar with could be a problem. That leaves Catapillar, no offense Peter but these I consider to be like a Porsche, they run great but when they break $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ well you get my point, I have had no luck with them even as a company driver I broke down twice as many times in a cat as anything else and I put almost a million miles on my N-14 in my last truck, oh and Cats recon parts system sucks huge ....nevermind. This is my 2 cents I think its a great idea and I am a few years behind you in age and will rent it off you or buy it if you get one/complete one some of the photos of the custom ones are very cool.

I wondered why my ears were hot. One of the older Cummins 10 liter engines would do well in that or a modern ISM series. A N14 or a ISX is a little over kill, fuel mileage and drive line would suffer. How you could get it connected to trans is another story. Anything up to the exhaust filter engines are good. Also series 60 and I think series 50 (smaller displacement) are very good engines also and have their lineage with the 4,6,8,12,16, - 71 engines. Mechanical diesel engines are okay but mileage, parts and finding someone to work on it in a place you are not familiar with could be a problem. That leaves Catapillar, no offense Peter but these I consider to be like a Porsche, they run great but when they break $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ well you get my point, I have had no luck with them even as a company driver I broke down twice as many times in a cat as anything else and I put almost a million miles on my N-14 in my last truck, oh and Cats recon parts system sucks huge ....nevermind. This is my 2 cents I think its a great idea and I am a few years behind you in age and will rent it off you or buy it if you get one/complete one some of the photos of the custom ones are very cool.

yeah brother, a couple of us were throwin' your name around in vain. ;) thanks for the input.

1. ok...just can't mix/match diesel blocks and trannies, same way a 727 wont bolt to a Chevy "rat" mill.

2. "mechanical" diesels...versus what? sorry, dunno what that term means?

3. how many rebuilds is "too many" for a diesel? you just run out of/shave too much off in the metal parts?

4. in your view (shared by others) a newer diesel (originality aside) "better" than a comparable mileage/rebuilt 1960's vintage DD 8V71?

I am working on tiny iPad so I haven't figured out all the saving and copying pictures thing, but here is a link to what 2.1M will get you along with few others.

http://www.marathoncoach.com/new-preowned--inventory?sortby=default

Ill help you out.

holy smoke, look at these things. i have never spent this much of my OWN money on anything at once.

but $2M for a "bus"? that's like a $400 loaf of bread, or a gold-plated toaster, or that $140M Picasso that just sold. Who buys that stuff?

Again though, if a Genie put a Prevost in my driveway, I'd spin it.

Prevost 1.jpgprevost 2.jpgprevost 3.jpg

Prevost 1.jpg

prevost 2.jpg

prevost 3.jpg

AH, Chump Change. Go fer hiz 'n herz. Double your pleasure double your fun. Let her lead after dark and she'll be several hundred milez down the road to some where before daylite and miss you. You know the girlz never look behind themselvez. Only time they ever even look in the mirror iz to check the hair and makeup.

Actually you can mix and match, I am using the same transmission that was behind the Cat engine and probably the mechanical big cam Cummins that was in the truck originally. Bus drive lines I am not familiar with so my input limited but my thought would be that like trucks any trans can be put behind any engine depending on fleet buyers choices. The decade to decade differences may limit your choices. Mechanical verses computer/ecu controlled. Diesels can be rebuilt many, many times the liners/cylinder bores are removable and are changed at each rebuild. However there is main cap walking/bouncing and cylinder head walking or bouncing which wears the block surfaces, this takes quite a while and your scenic cruiser would be worn out also.

Over in the Uk ,The route master double decker is a popular conversion for a mobile home ,That's if you can get one getting quite rare now .

image.jpg

Hey Blubbs what are those like to ride in. I keep threatening to go somewhere on the Mega buses they have here and ride on the top.

I also have to add that the 2.1M prevost is nicer than my house.

AH, Chump Change. Go fer hiz 'n herz. Double your pleasure double your fun.

you folks are "iivin large" west of Woodward? somebody must be sprinklin' money around again out there in the shadow of the Proving Grounds. :icon_smile:

btw, what is a 12V9/13 speed?

WAIT..answered my own question. a Detroit Diesel "12V92", what you pros call a 12V9. "Twice blown" I see.

dunno if this vdeo is a good one or a bad one..sounds strong to me but again I dont know anything about diesels as I have shown here in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyzec6tcy2g

12V9.jpg

I know, wrong thread. We are talking about buses but in this Eaton example, but what's this 'no clutch" shifting deal? how's that done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_8kOQv4V8Y

12V9.jpg

Mash the pedal, let off wait for the rpm fall, stick it in the next gear. Downshift is the same but you have to gas it in neutral to raise rpm to match next gear. It takes a minute to learn, bad thing is when I get into my bro in laws Challenger and do the same thing he gets nervous. Lol
Best advice I got from my father in law when you run out of rpms stick it the next gear. Same for downshifting only backwards.

Back