Scenicruisin'..?

Here's another cool old bus.
favorite this post ***RARE , RARE, RARE 1950 FLXIBLE MOTOR HOME** - $3850 (CENTRAL PHX) hide this posting
image 1 of 10
View attachment 239335
View attachment 239336
View attachment 239337
View attachment 239338

1950 FLXIBLE

condition: good
cylinders: other
drive: rwd
fuel: gas
size / dimensions: 33 FT
transmission: manual

THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO OWN A VERY RARE AND; COLLECTIBLE FACTORY RECREATIONAL MOTOR COACH, ALL ORIGINAL ***$5500 obo *****IT NEEDS AN ENGINE and TLC TO MAKE IT ROADWORTHY****CLEAN ARIZONA TITLE***A GREAT SWAP MEET VEHICLE OR GO WITH MODERN DRIVE TRAIN**GOOGLE FLXIBLE MOTOR COACH AND SEE THE VERY INTERESTING HISTORY OF THE COMPANY***I HAVE THE TWO BACK BODY PANELS****DELIVERY POSSIBLE FOR A FEE******

post away boss .. love these old Flxies of this era. :thumbsup:

FYI. This one was on EBay a month before I bought mine. Didnt sell. Good coach. EOD, Whisperer agreed with Seller -- NOT the coach to go RV'ing with.

I hope somebody does what seller planned to do. If a resto to original seated coach was my goal, upon satisfactory inspection I woulda bought this one.

Untitled1.png

1955 Greyhound Scenicruiser
Presented here is a truly unique opportunity to acquire an authentic example of the famous Greyhound“Scenicruiser”. 1,001 units were built by General Motors between 1954 and 1956 and they were thebackbone of Greyhound’s intercity operations for many years. Retired by the mid 1970s, less than 250
remain in existence. Most of the survivors have been converted to motor homes. Only 25 existing Scenicruisers retain their original motor coach interior configuration. This bus is one of those select few.

If you are looking for a motor home, this is not the bus for you. It is a transportation legend worthy of historical preservation. The vehicle up for bid is PD-4501 number 719. Built in 1955, it served with Pacific Greyhound and
Western Greyhound prior to being acquired by a California-based charter company. It spent its entire operating career in the western states; therefore, it was not subjected to the harsh winter conditions of the Midwest and Northeast. No expense was spared in the rehabilitation of the mechanical systems.

I have had extensive mechanical work performed on the bus by the respected US Coach in Vineland, NJ as

follows:

- Complete rebuild of the original 8V-71 Detroit Diesel engine including the original radiator shutterstats
and drive train.

- Total restoration of engine compartment to original configuration using original style perforated
aluminum.

- All new brakes, brake lines and air lines.

- Installation of new air suspension boots so the bus stays level.

- Rebuild of the power steering and front end.

- Air conditioning compressor and components.

- Installation of a fuel gauge as the bus did not have in as built condition.

The successful bidder will also acquire an extensive inventory of parts to complete restoration of the bus. Included will be new glass for the skylights, upper and lower windshield, rear window, teardrop and driver’s window.

Also included will be all new weather stripping, new white rubber for the luggage shelves, new seat numbers and new seat covers composed of the same fabric as manufactured by the original supplier. In addition, the purchaser will receive an extra set of doors for the lower baggage and engine compartments as well the passenger entrance. A generous supply of additional spare parts is stored in the lower baggage section.

Impeccably accurate decals for Greyhound’s lettering and numbers are included as well. The interior of the bus is presently stripped of fixtures for the next step of restoration; however, all seats and associated items are present and accounted for.

The restroom remains intact in its original 1955 configuration. All exterior, interior and dashboard lights are functional. The bus is equipped with original style wheels; however, the tires will require replacement. Seeing myself as a caretaker of this historic and culturally significant artifact, it was my intention to complete a thorough and accurate restoration; however, changing circumstances have led me to make the reluctant decision to sell it.
Again, if you desire a vehicle to modify as a motor home, this is not the bus for you.

00-1-2-5-0.jpg
00-1-2-5-1.jpg
00-1-2-5-2.jpg
00-1-2-5-3.jpg
00-1-2-5-4.jpg
00-1-2-5-5.jpg
00-1-2-6.jpg
00-1-2-9.jpg

More of PD4501-719 (Mine, btw, is PD4501-473)

Last photo -- I gotta get these things (the blue ones. Whisperer advice .. but MIGHT be unobtainium)

00-1-2-8.jpg
00-1-2-12.jpg
00-1-2-40.jpg
00-1-2-41.jpg
00-1-2-42.jpg
00-1-3.jpg
00-1-3-000.jpg
00-1-3-00.jpg

Maybe to keep stuff from blowing or bouncing out the opening while in transport?
Who knows why but if she was in Vineland that is 30 miles south of me.

Have you joined any of the bus nut forums?

One of the members of this forum has a Scenicruiser Registry and your bus has been mentioned.

BNO BBS - BNO's Bulletin Board System - Index

This is another good one for conversions.

BCM Community - Index

Lots of "whisperers" on both.

Kevin

yeah, Kevin. I joined a couple. "amazinblue473"

mainly for parts i know I am going to need but i am sure i will run into cool people there too. especially people who have solved specific problems on these coachs with modern parts that will work.

I will still document the build here .. and there with the the other "coach folks" on those sites.

Advertised in 2013. $95K. Nice coach. I would not go as far with the house-like "adornments" interior wise. Still "three rooms" though - lower deck seating, mid upper deck eats/multipurpose/lav, and then "bedroom" I am keeping the rear glass..

Lotta mods outside ..raised/forward-move Panoramic window, other things that are obvious. Those arent on my plan. not likely to do awnings either ... but can always put up portable shade in a pinch (trying to avoid hanging stuff on the exterior anywhere). Whisperer is diggin' the improvised engine compartment "scoops" aft, port and starboard -- obviously functional

Lotta mechanicals ... Whisperer likes 8V92s and suggests I'd be "happier" with that piece. I'm trying to be purist with the original repower 8V71s. gotta make that decision this summer so we'll see.

Power Plant: Detroit Silver 92 Turbo Charged 360 hp installed in 2003.
10 k.w. Kubota generator – Diesel powered mounted in engine compartment. 4 cylinder, water cooled.
Solar Panels: 4 – 55 watt. Also, insider monitor.
Satellite System: Mounted on top of coach. Winegard all directional antenna to watch tv while in motion.
Inverter: 2000 watt inverter with charger 3 battery chargers.
Stainless steel pressurized fresh water tank and sewer tanks.
Central vacuum cleaner system home size.
Nutone water softener unit plumbed in.
Garbage compactor.
On board 110 air compressor.
2 central air conditioners and 2 air exchangers.
2 Atwood 10 gal. hot water heaters hooked in series
1 propane tank approximately 32 gal.
80,000 btu Wabasto diesel fired boiler for wall and floor. Bay heating.
Largest storage bays in any coach built.
TV down in lower compartment,
4 awnings on coach.
Jenn-Aire dishwasher,
2 TV’s, 2 VCR’s, Sansui Stereo system.
Hide-a-bed couch, recliner, master bedroom with TV and VCR, Queen bed.
Jacuzzi in bathroom and Micro flush toilet system.
Dometic refrigerator with ice maker, large kitchen table with settee.
Set up to tow your vehicle.
Has rear monitor camera for watching the tow vehicle.
00-1-2-5-0.jpg
00-1-2-5-1.jpg
00-1-2-5-2.jpg
00-1-2-5-3.jpg
00-1-2-5-4.jpg
00-1-2-5-5.jpg
00-1-2-6.jpg
00-1-2-8.jpg

You want the 8v92. Lol The 8v71 is a /6 by comparison.

If I'm spending your money, a DDEC3 or 4 8v92 with a 7spd Allison World transmission would be my choice. 500 hp and similar fuel mileage to the 318 hp 8v71. It will still sound right too.

Kevin

You want the 8v92. Lol The 8v71 is a /6 by comparison.

If I'm spending your money, a DDEC3 or 4 8v92 with a 7spd Allison World transmission would be my choice. 500 hp and similar fuel mileage to the 318 hp 8v71. It will still sound right too.

Kevin

you and the Whisperer thinkin' alike on this one. yes, I gotta have that two-stroke sound!

As far as "old" iron (tho the 8Vs had to have gone into the 1990's cuz I was at GM and pretty sure of that) Whisperer is a Detroit guy .. and Allison. He did say I'd get sick of shiftin that old Spicer and was already looking for one for me.

I'll mention the package you pointed out.

Thanks.

They 8v92 was phased out for automotive use for emissions reasons in the 90's but they were still used for industrial and military apps at least into the early 2000's. We have an '03 Oshkosh military 8x8 with a DDEC IV 8v92 in our fleet.

Kevin
IMG_20151019_171253309shrunk.jpg

source: scenicruisers.com-The most distinctive greyhound on the road

Another in process. again, they have done some things I would not have done but it was for sale 10 years ago for $20K.

I am tempted to buy another project bus .. a lotta retail part depreciation already taken (rebuilds, RV-type equipment, etc.).. but will NOT.

Thats like buying TWO SFGT's, BOTH decent, to make ONE good one. They are too rare to kill a real good one to make another great.

NOT dissin' anybody .. I have salvaged good parts from unsaveable civi cars to make good cop cars. Inferior vehicles give up their parts all the time to better vehicles.

Whisperer suggests that unsaveable Scenicruisers likely WONT have many usable parts of the type I am seeking. And I wont kill a saveable one cuz i wanna save money on RV parts :)

Anyway, wonder how this one -- #791 -- turned out I will see if I can find it on the bus forums

Unfinished conversion project.
Complete rebuild on 8V-71 engine with new block.
25K on new engine.
50K on 9 speed roadranger transmission.
New clutch.
Rebuilt rear end. (New spider gears and bearings).
New wheel bearings and brakes.
All new airbags.
New shocks.
Rebuilt rear suspension.
Floor lowered two inches.
Inside completely insulated.
1/4″ plywood on ceiling, 3/8 on walls.
Wall plugs, etc., wired.
R&M rear cap.
Air accelerator, air assist clutch, new style brake valve.
Tires are 80% w/four aluminum wheels.
Skylights resized & prepared for new roof airs.
(7) *new* Peninsula windows still in crates, includes entry door & driver window.

Some of the NEW conversion parts include:
shower enclosure.
(2) 60 gallon fresh water tanks.
(1) 200 gallon holding tank.
(1) 10 gallon propane water heater (installed).
(3) Coleman 13,500 roof A/C units.
(2) Fantastic fans.
(1) Panel ray heater.
(2) captain chairs
(1) Venta-hood microwave oven.

35 FT. 50 amp power cord, electrical 110 V automatic changeover, electrical breaker box, TV antenna (installed), large awning, fluorescent lights, new front windshields (installed). Wired for roof satellite. Bodywork all finished. Two coats Dupont epoxy primer. Ready for paint. Manuals. Lots of extra parts. Stored indoors.
00-1-2-5-0.jpg
00-1-2-5-1.jpg
00-1-2-5-2.jpg
00-1-2-5-3.jpg
00-1-2-5-4.jpg
00-1-2-5-5.jpg

Last edited:
they have mixed in a few things ... i am havin a little fun below as y'all know I am cool with whatever people wanna do with their money and time. :)

00-1-2-5-0.jpg

I don't think so Peter. I don't have the ambition to do my 300. No way could I do a bus. :eek:
Love Flxibles, I'm going to have to get serious about disposal of my Bluebird... the 427/Allison would be a fair driveline choice for that bus, most were originally a Buick straight 8.

Back