Scenicruisin'..?

Scenicruisin'..?

i am 900 miles away from the action and relying on descriptions. its cool as I have built trust with these guys.

the thermal guy was asking for RPM specs on the fan ... i dont know it (a weakness in my factory data on this bus AFTER the repower). belt/gear driven, i presume it would vary speed with engine RPM.. i do not think fan has a "clutch" (like we use on car fans) and he was just eyeballin' it over a short time/low engine RPM run (since radiator is out getting assessed). Nobody says its making "funny" noises/rickety tho.

those gear boxes were originally manfactured by Ohio Gear. Bus forum guys (specifically the folks with running/actually doing work on 4501's) advise the rebuild kit Ohio Gear sells is $1,500. I'll call next week and get the skinny from Ohio Gear.

new thermostat (170 degree setting) checks out fine. i'm speculating "radiator" (not rejecting enough heat from the engine coolant) system ... but oil temp is important (i am told) as some cylinder/piston cooling is done by the oil (we are looking at that).

post-rebuild compression check/injector performsnce is checking out ok but i gotta get there with my own eyes/ears. BUT .. if we gotta go back deep into the rebuild?

:mob:
1649609814564.png

kevin as always brother . .. appreciate your insights.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Face it, Ray. You're now into this BIG TIME. :poke:

1649527193513.png

Stan sent me this 3 1/2 years ago (december 2018), just after I bought it but was waiting for better weather to transport in the NorthEast it in spring 2019.

Didnt know he was also fortune teller ...:poke::)

FYI .. this is a 4903/4905 (Buffalo bus) radiator from the parts book.

Similar to a 4501 design (tank inlet/outlet positions different tho) due to engine orientation (transverse with "V" drive, vs longitudinal with "T" drive), its a substantial assembly.
UntitledEE2ccc12811A.png

In both coaches, the assembly is "modular" in that it can be "unlatched" and moved outta the way to give clearer access to the engine bay. I have the whole module out for service/refurb

In 4501 (shown below in another 4501, not my bus), if you are facing the radiator on LH side of coach, the access door opens flush against the body to your left, the rad module (green box) is unlatched swivels out to the right so you can get at the fan gear box (orange arrow) or the heads, etc.

The mod is big/heavy a you might imagine. We drove it 400 miles roundtrip the first time .. local guys have it this time.

UntitledEE2ccc12811.png

@twostick makes good points in post #1,360

I do NOT wanna try to horse around trying to get a class 8 rad to work, but rather would like a properly dimensioned custom core built (it will have to aluminum vs copper/brass in the OEM design).

On a custom core job, getting the dimensions right (to fit the OEM "module", face area, thickness, New tanks and/or custom headers to allow the new, thinner core to fit OEM tanks, maybe?, etc) to deliver the heat exchange performance needs to be professionally calculated (core builder can do it probably).

anyway .. the joy of having one of 200 of a thing (Scenicruisures) left in the world ... i am so happy I could cry :)

FYI .. this is a 4903/4905 (Buffalo bus) radiator from the parts book.

Similar to a 4501 design (tank inlet/outlet positions different tho) due to engine orientation (transverse with "V" drive, vs longitudinal with "T" drive), its a substantial assembly.
View attachment 525015

In both coaches, the assembly is "modular" in that it can be "unlatched" and moved outta the way to give clearer access to the engine bay. I have the whole module out for service/refurb

In 4501 (shown below in another 4501, not my bus), if you are facing the radiator on LH side of coach, the access door opens flush against the body to your left, the rad module (green box) is unlatched swivels out to the right so you can get at the fan gear box (orange arrow) or the heads, etc.

The mod is big/heavy a you might imagine. We drove it 400 miles roundtrip the first time .. local guys have it this time.

View attachment 525027

@twostick makes good points in post #1,360

I do NOT wanna try to horse around trying to get a class 8 rad to work, but rather would like a properly dimensioned custom core built (it will have to aluminum vs copper/brass in the OEM design).

On a custom core job, getting the dimensions right (to fit the OEM "module", face area, thickness, New tanks and/or custom headers to allow the new, thinner core to fit OEM tanks, maybe?, etc) to deliver the heat exchange performance needs to be professionally calculated (core builder can do it probably).

anyway .. the joy of having one of 200 of a thing (Scenicruisures) left in the world ... i am so happy I could cry :)

Real rad shops are getting fewer and farther between. The guy I used to have had a supplier in Montreal that he would send the measurements of that core to and have it back the next day. Copper/brass too. I'm not sure it wasn't Spectra Premium.

Those tank flanges are pretty universal in heavy duty automotive, x number of holes per foot. When you measure the core the way the manufacturer dictates, that tells them how wide the header needs to be which in turn locates the flange and determines how many rows of tubes they can stuff into it. If you Google around Michigan, you may find a rad core supplier that might have that very core on the shelf in brass for a different application.

Kevin

thanks peter .. no familiar with this brand. i'll check it out.

DD 60, . 12.7L, 400 HP, 1,450 Ft lbs torque, Allison .. that should push it along pretty good.

unique design in my experence. tall enough it looks like I (I am 6'3") could stand up without ducking the whole length, she's got a lotta natural light coming in, a head, plus a big "basemen"t too..

1652279598372.png
1652279641354.png

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

aside: I think I am screwin' up .....

I am showing double decker neo plan conversions. #1,366 is not a "double decker" as i notice it has NO lower set of windows like the bus below. I do NOT know what Neoplan model (yes, a "CityLiner" but I still wasnt getting its different thsn a "Skyliner") coach #1,366 is ... almost a double decker but NOT one as only has one floor.

Also found out Neoplan USA is bankrupt/liquidated years ago. source: Neoplan USA - Wikipedia

wow .. we'll seems folks WW are converting them to RV's

example: (source https://mobile.twitter.com/neoplanvoyager)

1652282084630.png
1652282107057.png

another one
1652282173077.png

Last edited:
Neoplan had a build plant in Lamar, Colorado years ago. They closed up in 2006. This was a separate Neoplan from the German company, which continues to remain in business.

Neoplan USA

Whoa Stan .. seven years into this thread, and we still manage to piss ya off bro.. :poke:.

Actually, aside from the price I'd do three .. one ("face for radio") and two (the price don't even include the car) kinda make me View attachment 531039

Top 3-2-1 of the ten most expensive coaches (source: Top 10 Most Expensive Luxury Buses in the World

View attachment 531036

View attachment 531037

View attachment 531038
Pic #3 looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Last edited:
Back