Scenicruisin'..?

Ugh...bound to find a few a bit too far gone. Or maybe somebody is showing their starting point?

The Lost Ones1.jpgThe Lost Ones2.jpg

These next two a guy found in a little town in Oregon, by accident, in the same spot:

http://barnfinds.com/lost-scenicruisers-and-found-memories/
The Lost Ones3.jpgThe Lost Ones4.jpg

In a salvage yard somewhere....

The Lost Ones5.jpg

The Lost Ones1.jpg

The Lost Ones2.jpg

The Lost Ones3.jpg

The Lost Ones4.jpg

The Lost Ones5.jpg

1952, Charlotte NC Greyhound Terminal. Looks like the prototype GX-2?

Vintage SC-1.jpg

Newspaper article photo, southeast Missouri, 1967... The SC blocking traffic in a small town terminal
Vintage SC-2.jpg

Undated, but looks like the 1950's in California

Vintage SC-3.jpg

Newton Massachusetts, December 1968

Vintage SC-4.jpg

Somewhere in Pennsylvania, late 1950's
Vintage SC-5.jpg

Vintage SC-1.jpg

Vintage SC-2.jpg

Vintage SC-3.jpg

Vintage SC-4.jpg

Vintage SC-5.jpg

At Last, a scholarly piece..seriously. Recently done (2010) but WAY TOO LONG to read unless you have a deep interest in this bus.

Short exerpt below but the link lays out the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of my favorite bus.

FYI, fascinating overall story ..not just the bus .. but the History of Greyhound (Bluehounds) and Trailways (Redhounds).

http://www.bluehoundsandredhounds.info/barscen.html

Introduction
© Copyright, 2010, Duncan Bryant Rushing

"Scenicruiser is the name and the registered trademark which The Greyhound Corporation applied to a specific type of highway coaches used in intercity service throughout the USA. The first Scenicruiser entered the Greyhound fleet in 1954, and the last one retired from active service at Greyhound about 1975.

The Scenicruiser was a product of the GMC Truck and Coach (T&C) Division of the General Motors (GM) Corporation. [GM held the patent for the general design of the Scenicruiser.]

The builder designated it as the model PD-4501. [The P means "parlor" (a term, borrowed from the railway industry, which implies "intercity"), the D means "diesel", the 45 indicates the nominal seating capacity (although the standard washroom reduced the actual seating capacity to 43), and the numeral 1 represents the first model in the new PD-4500 series (which never grew beyond 4501).]

The Scenicruiser was an exclusive design for Greyhound alone, although several other builders unsuccessfully imitated or emulated it for other customers. It quickly became the most popular and most recognizable coach in the US, and it still remains as a significant cultural icon.

After Greyhound replaced and sold the Scenicruisers, many of them continued in service, for a host of schools, churches, individuals, tour and charter companies, and scheduled carriers. Most have since become scrapped or otherwise destroyed, but about 230 have survived, some have kept on running, and a few have become beautifully and effectively restored, both cosmetically and mechanically. About 50-100 appear to be in reasonably roadworthy condition.

The first Scenicruiser from the production line, serial 001, originally numbered as P-5446, assigned to the Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines (GL), has become fully restored. Now bearing the side number of 1954 (the year of its manufacture), it's in the historical fleet of the present (second) Greyhound Lines, Inc., the (second) GLI."

More "marketing" this wonder of transportation...some of this is "artwork" vs. photos in the "Mad Men-cool" style of the 50's and 60's.

Greyhound Ads-1.jpg
Greyhound Ads-2.jpg
Greyhound Ads-3.jpg
Greyhound Ads-4.jpgGreyhound Ads-5.jpg

Greyhound Ads-1.jpg

Greyhound Ads-2.jpg

Greyhound Ads-3.jpg

Greyhound Ads-4.jpg

Greyhound Ads-5.jpg

I can't imagine any self respecting man worth his inner child NOT wanting his own Scenicruiser to play with.

I can't imagine any self respecting man worth his inner child NOT wanting his own Scenicruiser to play with.

funny you should observe that. in my case, the TWO toys (we did this in another thread last year) I wore out between the ages of 7 and 10 were my Texaco tanker push toy, and my Scenicruiser friction toy.

The Scenicruiser is getting done for sure, as long as I am on this side of the sod, I may not even wait till I'm 65.

Cant practically do the Texaco thing, but i always liked this one--for wildly impractical but "so what" reasons:D

duel tanker.jpg

duel tanker.jpg

funny you should observe that. in my case, the TWO toys (we did this in another thread last year) I wore out between the ages of 7 and 10 were my Texaco tanker push toy, and my Scenicruiser friction toy.

The Scenicruiser is getting done for sure, as long as I am on this side of the sod, I may not even wait till I'm 65.

Cant practically do the Texaco thing, but i always liked this one--for wildly impractical but "so what" reasons:D

View attachment 53539

You could make a condo out of that tank if you try hard enough. :poke:

View attachment 53539

The "Duel" truck or I should say the second one as the original one was destroyed in the filming of the original movie. For the international release they needed to add about 20 minutes and a second truck was needed for those scenes.

Alan

Ahh.. The infamous Rick Dobberton surface orbiter. He moved to this area a few years before he built it. I think he's still around here.

His voyage wasn't everything it was supposed to be. Turned out the milk tanker wasn't quite as sea worthy as he thought and it really didn't behave as well in the ocean as it had in Oneida Lake. Somewhere in the middle of the voyage, his wife decided this wasn't the life for her and they headed for home and divorce court.

He had some spectacular pro street show cars back in the 70's and 80's. Google his name and I'm sure you will recognize his Nova and J2000.

Commando1 sleuthed this one up (its in a link in a "Fantasies of Ah Big Rigger" thread post).

I REMEMBER this picture...its was in a book we had. An older, beatup book by the time I saw it in mid-1960's.

The book belonged to my maternal uncle who was about 10 years older than me. I got a lot of his stuff from when he was a pre-teen handed down to me when he was drafted (thats another story) to go "stop the dominoes from falling" in Asia.

Aint it funny..the things we remember when jogged...my turn to scour Ebay and see if I can find that book :)

Greyhound Ads-11.jpg

Greyhound Ads-11.jpg

Back