sizable oil drips from my 78 New Yorker

imperialman

Reaction score
The good news is that replacing the worn out Thermoquad on my New Yorker with a 1406 Edelbrock has the car now running and idling decently.
The bad news is that while the car sits idling an inch plus size oil spot appears quickly underneath it.
The spot appears on the passenger side near the rear of the engine.
I will find out tomorrow when I get underneath to look, but I'm thinking rear main seal.

Remember, oil, like water flows with gravity. Check your valve covers, and then work your way down.

I would check the oil pressure sending unit which is at the rear of the intake manifold on the block. The sending unit is notorious for leaking oil.

When my kitty litter gets a bit soaked under the car I snug up the valve cover bolts and it goes away for awhile. Then I snug it up again.

On my way to searching out the oil drips from my New Yorker I ran into this
IMG_0531.JPG

The picture doesn't show the severity, but a major drip/leak from the worn out rubber gas line kept me busy replacing the rubber line today.
I did see that it was wet around the top of the oil sending unit, so bought the last sending unit the local NAPA had on the shelf and will attempt to install it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, what a pain in the arss.

Before I would rip into that job I would put some dye in the oil to be sure.
Good advice.
I had the car sitting idling today while I poured (no pun intended) over the engine with good lighting looking for leaks. I spent about a half hour looking at everything possible for leaks. I ended up watching oil drip steadily out of the cover type plate? in front of or part of the transmission.

That blows ,,sorry to ear the news.

Back