Sleekest?

Shamu70

Reaction score
I’d like everyone’s opinion on what C Body is the most aerodynamic.

Well, there can be absolutely no doubt that it's the winged car! :D
IMG_4345.JPG

Having a 70 Newport, I'm pretty much on board with that. Waiting to hear from our Dodge brothers though.

Technically, not a C body, but IMHO, the '58 Chrysler was about the best. The '57 had a lip over the windshield that was removed in 1958.

7485_4165.jpg

7488_4165_3.jpg

No matter how much of a sleek wing is on the back, I still have this on the front. It's the opposite of sleek!!!

Note: this is a pic of my car with the second owner's antique tags.
IMG_0206.JPG

The square nose of most C-Bodys left a lot to be desired in terms of the air flow, but that was not really an objective in the late sixties and early 70's. It was all about muscular appearance and brute power. Cars in the early 50's were more aerodynamic with the rounded hoods and front fenders.

Dave

A bigger wing means more aerodynamic right?? We have seen this for sale here, I hate to post it but I can't help myself. :)

FB_IMG_1589562268209.jpg

As for sleekest looking “C”s I would say 65 Polara/Monaco & Sport Fury especially with the skirts. Love how the cars taper down toward the rear. The slimmest hips of all the “C”s.
67 & 68 Imperials fall in this style also. Particularly for such a big car.
DCD03D61-BB9A-4757-89B7-A80A41506E8E.jpeg

0D152393-F2CE-415D-A432-6E61427A85A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Many times what appears to be slippery can be deceiving. Case in point the XKE Jaguar. As you would expect it has good coefficient of drag especially compared to most cars of the time, but I remember reading a study that said the Drag Coefficient of the Jag could be lowered considerably if it was facing backwards in the wind tunnel.

jag-e-type-hist-web-0466.jpg

A sleek C Body? We are talking about moving bricks, yes?

Must agree with Trace 300; those beautiful, open grills were killers, especially on the Chargers trying to race in NASCAR. It's what ultimately led to the Daytona.

The 57 tail lights, in my opinion were more attractive, as they filled in the entire end of the fin.
View attachment 376107
I agree that the tail lights look better on the '57, but since they were looking for "sleekest", the '58 doesn't have that lip over the windshield. They claimed that the lip limited top speed for the '57 300C

276901.jpg

Back