So far as I dig deeper into my 383

Ok I'll say tbis motor has 128K on her and just been maintain at best I believe from the original owner. Which bolts are you referring to too falling into the water jackets?

Ok I'll say tbis motor has 128K on her and just been maintain at best I believe from the original owner. Which bolts are you referring to too falling into the water jackets?

The exhaust manifold bolts are threaded in to water jackets, removing the exhaust manifold bolts first drains the heads so coolant does not get into the cylinder bores when you remove the head bolts. Head bolts are also threaded into the water jackets. There is also a drain plug on each side of the block that can be removed to drain the coolant. (Recommended) None of the bolts will fall into the water passages.

Dave

Last edited:
Thank you for the answers. I'm a learner as I go along;)

Last edited:
Is there any Benifits to changing from stock 383 heads to 440 heads and intake? Since my car is an 1966, I'm assuming I would need to find a year heads/intake that's a 440 correct? I know it maybe just easier to buy a eddy intake over stock cast iron also.

Is there any Benifits to changing from stock 383 heads to 440 heads and intake? Since my car is an 1966, I'm assuming I would need to find a year heads/intake that's a 440 correct? I know it maybe just easier to buy a eddy intake over stock cast iron also.
452's have hardened valve seats, I have 3 sets I can't give away, they are everywhere. 346's or any head 72 or later (I think) should be fine and work with unleaded fuel. Any intake for a 383/400 will work, the 440 intake is a different width between the heads.

The 383 /400 and the 440 use the same heads. The Block on the 440 is taller, that is what gives you the extra cubic inches. By the same token since the heads sit farther away on the block you cannot use a 440 intake on a 383 / 400 engine. Get you heads tested first to find where the oil and antifreeze are mixing. Unfortunately you may have a bad engine block. Better to know the problem first, not guess at what might be wrong.

True, kinda putting the cart before horse I guess. I'll have the heads checked once they're off and then I'll look at the block and go from there.

True, kinda putting the cart before horse I guess. I'll have the heads checked once they're off and then I'll look at the block and go from there.
When you get the heads off the engine pay very close attention to the head gaskets. See if they have worn away in any area. Clean the deck surface of the block and check for warpage with a good metal straight edge. Also check the heads the same way, if there is warpage it can be machined back, but for the block it would mean a total rebuild. Let us know what you find.

What thickness on the feeler gauge should I use? 0.02? Can't remember been forever .

When you get the heads off the engine pay very close attention to the head gaskets.

If the block has never been broken down, you will find that Mopar didn't use head gaskets from the factory. If there's gaskets there, then you know the motors been apart at some point in time. Good Luck

Very true, If I remember correctly didn't they also not use exhaust manifold gaskets as well, or was that pre 60's? From this pic, it appears they didn't have any gaskets on the intake manifold either. It was 4 degrees with the garage door open, so once I got the manifold off it went right on the floor and I went inside lol.

20180220_142041.jpg

Very true, If I remember correctly didn't they also not use exhaust manifold gaskets as well, or was that pre 60's? From this pic, it appears they didn't have any gaskets on the intake manifold either.

Yes to all the above, no gaskets.

There were no exhaust manifold gaskets, intake and heads used the embossed steel as seen on the above valley pan gasket. No paper or fiber gaskets were used, if that was your meaning.

Yes kinda, I would have thought by now with 128k miles someone would have rebuilt her and placed gaskets which leads me to believe that she hasn't been touch for the very first time ~ Madonna like a virgin lol
Ok guys it's 5 o clock lol

128k thats all . i put that twin fours , headers w/dual exhaust , cam n lifter adjustable rockers and push rods , double roller chain , pair of 452 heads , shimmed up the pressure on the oil pump , rings n bearings in my 130kplus 383 . and turned it 6k in first n second . it would peg the speedo in second , yes 120mph , and when i shifted it into drive , it would pick the nose up and take off . never stayed now to the end of drive . but she could roll 140mph plus easily . it opened up some chevy guys eye , i gave a ride in it once . they would talk cars and my old 65 880 rag was the very top of the conversation . i'm still asked if i have that ride , i tell them yes , and i'm building a twin fours 426 wedge and four speed for it now . and that all i have to say . and the ride talk start all over again . and no one has said they want to race it either , lol ;) .

128k thats all . i put that twin fours , headers w/dual exhaust , cam n lifter adjustable rockers and push rods , double roller chain , pair of 452 heads , shimmed up the pressure on the oil pump , rings n bearings in my 130kplus 383 . and turned it 6k in first n second . it would peg the speedo in second , yes 120mph , and when i shifted it into drive , it would pick the nose up and take off . never stayed now to the end of drive . but she could roll 140mph plus easily . it opened up some chevy guys eye , i gave a ride in it once . they would talk cars and my old 65 880 rag was the very top of the conversation . i'm still asked if i have that ride , i tell them yes , and i'm building a twin fours 426 wedge and four speed for it now . and that all i have to say . and the ride talk start all over again . and no one has said they want to race it either , lol ;) .
I have said this many a time, "A Chrysler will pass everything except a gas station".

Haha nice ! Well I'm hoping to get her moving soon. This has become a father/son project so it's even better;)

Back