So I bought this one today.

The radiator is in and plumbed, finished up a few loose ends with the sill plates and put another piece of the exhaust on so that I could confirm the size and orientation of the muffler. Next is to continue with the wiring and come up with a carb.
8BDB621A-7232-49F7-9488-DC5DB9DC4437.jpeg
FCE4D7E2-DB58-48EC-A319-644325E78BCA.jpeg
36ED8F9F-2584-49F0-87B7-7A07567789F2.jpeg

What carb is correct for the car?
Iirc these got Holleys unless they were cap(California) cars which had Carters. Since it will be some time before this car will actually be a driver again I will probably just grab the carb off the silver car because I know it works well for the break-in run after which I have an older Edelbrock universal carb that looks decent sitting on the shelf that I’ll go through and get in working order. I haven’t even gotten the silver car out of winter storage yet this year….

Your car is really coming along Matt, look forward to seeing it maybe the 7th FCBO show next year
It’s not an impossibility but now would be a good time to remind all that I’m not really going to do any cosmetics on the outer body with the exception of cleaning and polishing the paint that is left on it. At least not until I address the under body rust issues on the back half of the car.
After it runs and I can turn it around in the shop I will start doing the same to the rear as I’ve already done to the front.

Iirc these got Holleys unless they were cap(California) cars which had Carters. Since it will be some time before this car will actually be a driver again I will probably just grab the carb off the silver car because I know it works well for the break-in run after which I have an older Edelbrock universal carb that looks decent sitting on the shelf that I’ll go through and get in working order. I haven’t even gotten the silver car out of winter storage yet this year….
My '68 is all original and it came with a Carter and I don't believe it's a cap car. Do only cap cars have a PCV valve and breather hose to the air cleaner? It has the 440-dual package, so maybe that's why it has a Carter.

My '68 is all original and it came with a Carter and I don't believe it's a cap car. Do only cap cars have a PCV valve and breather hose to the air cleaner? It has the 440-dual package, so maybe that's why it has a Carter.
Does it have a triangular shaped tag on it with a part number?

IIRC, the triangular metal tab/tag was only if it went through the Mopar rebuilder network - if it was original and otherwise not sent back through the Mopar network, part number is stamped on the bottom rail of the carb.

I was under the impression that all the 67s got a Carter, but perhaps I am mistaken.

IIRC, the triangular metal tab/tag was only if it went through the Mopar rebuilder network - if it was original and otherwise not sent back through the Mopar network, part number is stamped on the bottom rail of the carb.

I was under the impression that all the 67s got a Carter, but perhaps I am mistaken.
I’m pretty sure the tags were on the carbs, distributors, alternators etc. from new. They had the full part number on them with the last 2 numbers being larger for quicker correlation to the broadcast sheet.
‘67 Imps had the Holley‘s according to my literature. The green coupe I had a few years back had its original Holley on it and it even worked quite well in spite of there rep for only lasting a few years when new.

The ‘67 Holley for Imps would have 51 as the last 2 digits of the part number and have R3667 stamped on the front of its base.
with CAP it’d be Carter with part number ending in 15 and 4312S stamped on it.
In ‘68 it would’ve been a Holley with 36 as the last 2 of the part number & have R3918 stamped on it and I don’t even show a Carter for a ‘68 Imp but that’s not to say there wasn’t one. I can check the parts books tomorrow.

The ‘67 Holley for Imps would have 51 as the last 2 digits of the part number and have R3667 stamped on the front of its base.
In ‘68 it would’ve been a Holley with 36 as the last 2 of the part number & have R3918 stamped on it and I don’t even show a Carter for a ‘68 Imp but that’s not to say there wasn’t one. I can check the parts books tomorrow.

According to the broadcast sheet, the carburetor build code is 36, cap idle label 41.

My 68 has a Carter. The FSM shows both carbs but I don't remember which one is specific to CAP and of course my manual is packed away so I can't check. For what it's worth, my car was purchased new in Tempe, AZ. I'm not sure if AZ cars got CAP spec emissions.

If that says 4640S it’s from a ‘69 HP 440.
36 on the sheet would definitely be a Holley.

Interesting. I assume that the carb was probably swapped out early in the cars life then. Would there need to be changes made to the throttle linkage and such when switching from a Holley to a Carter?

Interesting. I assume that the carb was probably swapped out early in the cars life then. Would there need to be changes made to the throttle linkage and such when switching from a Holley to a Carter?
Yes on the linkage and the fuel line/tubing was different as well. As I stated above about the bad rep the Holley‘s had, they often didn’t last but a few years from new and to rebuild them was futile.

Back