Spark Plug Issue

Omni

Reaction score
Good Morning All.
Replaced the plugs in the 'Party Barge' ('65 Newport 383 Carter BBD point style ignition).
Six of the eight were dark tan ( I am OK with that as the 'Barge' has not been on any significant road trips this year) 2 plugs (#7 and #8) were gas fouled.
Wires are from Lectric Limited ( two years old). Plugs are Motorcraft #86. Cap is an Echlin MO2 , Points Echlin CS781, Condenser is also Echlin (can't remember the part #. Other than the wires all the tune-up parts are New Old Stock.
Any thoughts?
Thanks to All who respond.
Omni

If this is just coming out from the winter storage, try driving it a bit and see what the new plugs look like.

Big John
Will Do.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Omni

Gas fouling is unusual, to me, unless the choke was not coming off soon enough, or something like that.

Curious about hot base timing and dwell?

Do the plugs cross with the old J-14Y Champions? #7 is the longest plug wire, fwiw.

Take care,
CBODY67

Shoot us some pics so we can see the actual fouling.
Was it idling/running the same before and after you replaced the plugs? Also, let's not forget - plug wires weren't mixed up on reinstall?

dumb question...was the car stored level? if it was nose up the carb could have dumped into the 2 rear cylinders...maybe float level too high?

Move the plugs to different cylinders if the problem follows the plugs you have your answer.

What Motorcraft part numbers are stamped into the hex on the plug body? The "#86" is the marketing number on the box.

Thanks,
CBODY67

volksworld
Car is stored in a LEVEL heated garage. Float is set a 5/16 (to the crown) as per FSM.
if it was nose up the carb could have dumped into the 2 rear cylinders...
I guess I'm too dumb; you will have to explain that response.
Omni

Last edited:
CBODY67
I mis-spoke in my original post. The plugs are Autolite NOT Motorcraft.
No numbers on the hex, just on the porcelain.
Omni

Last edited:
you're actually one step hotter plug with the 86 calls for 85 so the plugs are not too cold. need to take it out and run it with as little idling as possible and when you get home turn it off as soon as you get in the driveway and pull one of the back plugs.

i think you will see post 6 is right with float or more likely the needle and seat are leaking down.

Run the car down the road for a mile or two in a lower gear keeping the engine rpms around 2500 to 3000 then pull the offending plugs. If they're still black, you have a fuel distribution problem. If they've burned off he carbon fouling, your choke was most likely the culprit and you just needed to drive the car a bit to burn of the carbon.

Running an engine every month or so in the winter is usually the cause for your condition. Take it out and blow it out a bit and that should clean up the plugs.

Years ago I stopped running my engines every few weeks while the cars were stored for the winter for that very reason. Slant six, 318, 383, 400, 440....they all fouled plugs when I started the engine frequently but didn't drive the cars anywhere.

Back