Stormer's 67 Polara Build

Well, I have another self-induced failure to report. I didn't order enough product & the MF'n gun clogged again on the last coat. I even cleaned the gun between each coat this time but it still clogged the most inopportune time. It's much better than last time & I learned a few more tricks. Need one more do-over & I'm gonna order way more than I need this time. I'm also gonna talk to them about the gun.

I'll take some pictures.

I thought the glossifier went over the black and not mixed in with the black. unless I didn't understand what you said.

So how much are you going to be into this when all is said and done?
smiley48.gif

Ross! If you can bring me up to speed ah little bit with the paint you're using I'd appreciate it. Based on what I've learned with most paints you're doing something new to me. Do I understand you rite when you say the paint store or the manufacturer iz telling you to blend the BASE COAT + CLEAR COAT 1 - 1, NO REDUCER OR HARDENER????? Most paints (plural) I've ever shot were 1 to 1 BASE COAT and REDUCER and 4-1 OR 5-1 CLEAR COAT and HARDENER. PPG, DUPONT, MATRIX, or ?, it's all in getting used to the product. That and the gun! Are you using old style syphon gun or one of the newer HVLP "gravity" guns? And what kinda air pressure are you pushing thru' the gun? Help me out here, Jer

Ross! If you can bring me up to speed ah little bit with the paint you're using I'd appreciate it. Based on what I've learned with most paints you're doing something new to me. Do I understand you rite when you say the paint store or the manufacturer iz telling you to blend the BASE COAT + CLEAR COAT 1 - 1, NO REDUCER OR HARDENER????? Most paints (plural) I've ever shot were 1 to 1 BASE COAT and REDUCER and 4-1 OR 5-1 CLEAR COAT and HARDENER. PPG, DUPONT, MATRIX, or ?, it's all in getting used to the product. That and the gun! Are you using old style syphon gun or one of the newer HVLP "gravity" guns? And what kinda air pressure are you pushing thru' the gun? Help me out here, Jer

What the hell? You are not actually a hillbilly ????

I'll have a little over a thousand in it by the time I spray it again. I could have paid somebody to spray it by now but I'm gonna do it myself if it takes ten attempts.

Jer, it's not actually paint, it's Plasti Dip (AKA, rubberized coating). I'm using an HVLP gun designed specifically for this application & the pressure is not adjustable. If I could just avoid a clog during the final/most important coat...

O.KKKKKK? That helpz me ah bit. As for the air pressure not being adjustable, are you saying no adjustment at the gun or the amount of pressure your compressor is putting out? Sure az hell if you're pushing 125lbs+ straight from the compressor and on thru' the gun and it'z plugging up on you there'z something wrong somewhere. Either in the mix or what your being told about the mix. I'd check with the Plasta-dip tec folks on that problem 1st thing tomorrow morning 'cuz somethin' ain't rite somewhere! Keep us posted, Jer

The HVLP gun has a standalone base/compressor. You can adjust the flow on the gun but that's an orifice adjustment, not a pressure adjustment.

I haven't even even opened the garage door yet today but I know it wont look good. I'll take some pictures anyway...

I'll go out on a limb here and say that they won't be using Ross' experience in their promotional videos any time soon. :urkidding:

I'm still a believer in the product & it's almost certain that the failure is due to my own lack of skill/experience.

Paint over. That's one nice thing is that with each additional coat, more blemishes disappear.

Back