Stupid things I heard at the Car Show last nite

The bluesmobile always gets "Hey thats a cool dukes of hazzard car". One time the local fair was going on. Pulled into the gas station. Young gal asked if the car was ready for the derby... Her boyfriend/husband just grabbed her, and walked her out the door.. haha

When on the road, parades or just at car shows a friend with his restored 69 CHP car get "Blues Brothers", "Where's Broderick Crawford?" and even the Dukes of Hazzard comments.

My POV is that there are no dumb questions. Asking a question generally means the person is looking for info and I'll oblige if I know. It's only when the person starts by making absurd claims ie. "68 Monaco's didn't come with 440s" that I get POd.

I took a 67 Valiant to a Mopar show a few times, a 4-door sedan with a factory 273 that I upgraded to a Commando 273 with all correct factory parts including the carb and dual point distributor. The comments people would make were "they never put V8s in these" or "there is now way that this is original". In fact not only could you get a 273-2 (maybe 1500 of them made in 67) you COULD have got the Commando 273 with an automatic (51 were sold) or a 4-speed (50 sold).

has something similar happen to me when I had my '72 Ambassador.......i told him (advance counter guy) it was a 360 and he said, i'll look under hte chrysler part listing since amc used the chrysler 360. I told him no they didn't and he told me, "yes they did, my father told me so." I then told him, "your father doesn't know squat about cars", and walked out the door.

The one I get is I tell them "Plymouth Barracuda" and I get "who makes that?", "Plymouth!", "who??"

My 67 Barracuda isn't a Maverick, Javelin, Charger, or Marlin

I might as well chip in...I take my car out for a good run every second weekend. I always fill her up at the same gas station and without fail, the usual clerk will look out the window admiringly and say: "ahh, takin' the big dodge for a cruise...nice day for it". I now just politely smile and say sure is, as I've lost count of the times I've told him it's a Chrysler 300.

I had on my 2011 Chryslers at Carlisle shirt today, the lady at the Lowes said, my dad had a Chevy just like that one.

I walked over to my Imperial one night on Woodward, just before the cruise so there were a lot of people out, to find a couple taking pictures while standing next to it. I heard them talking about it as I approached and it was all good stuff. When they discovered it was mine they had some questions about it and that's when I learned that they were under the impression that it was the same kind of car that Kennedy was shot in....

I took a 67 Valiant to a Mopar show a few times, a 4-door sedan with a factory 273 that I upgraded to a Commando 273 with all correct factory parts including the carb and dual point distributor. The comments people would make were "they never put V8s in these" or "there is now way that this is original". In fact not only could you get a 273-2 (maybe 1500 of them made in 67) you COULD have got the Commando 273 with an automatic (51 were sold) or a 4-speed (50 sold).

One of our club members has this 68

I've had a few young people look at our 69 300 with a perplexed look on their face and say....... I didn't know they made 300's back then..

Ohhh well... at least their interested.

I think the biggest issue is that to most people the first 300 they know is the 300M. The 20 year lapse of the nameplate may have a lot to do with it.

I've had a few young people look at our 69 300 with a perplexed look on their face and say....... I didn't know they made 300's back then..

Ohhh well... at least their interested.

I think the biggest issue is that to most people the first 300 they know is the 300M. The 20 year lapse of the nameplate may have a lot to do with it.

BINGO.....!
I always enjoy giving them the 300 history lesson... and they seem to enjoy learning.

I also have a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible and it kills me when somone looks at the fender emblem and says ....... Corvette 500.....? It's happened more then once....... Can't fix stupid.

Imperial owners have a similar issue with such a broken up production run and Chrysler Corp induced identity crisis between being their own division or not. I can't tell you how many times I've had my Imperial out and been complemented on my "Impala". Can't people read?

Imperial owners have a similar issue with such a broken up production run and Chrysler Corp induced identity crisis between being their own division or not. I can't tell you how many times I've had my Imperial out and been complemented on my "Impala". Can't people read?

This travesty really ruined it for all those that appreciated true Imperials...

1990-1993chryslerImperialVII.jpg

I mean, now seriously...:BangHead:

1982_Plymouth_Reliant_4dr.jpg

Last edited:
When The Chrysler Copporation became the "NEW" Chrysler Corporation..... That signaled the end of Mopar as we knew it.

I'm not sure Lee Iococa did us a favor when he made that deal with the gov and saved the corp.

I have the same thing here. Nice Impala or New Yorker who made that. I had a newer New Yorker a 1991 and that was a great car I think she was at almost 200k before she died.

Went to a car show yesterday in Victoria BC. First one was a guy asked what engine my 70 Dart Custom has. When I said "340" , he continued with "Oh ya, my 2012 Ram has the 340 Hemi."
The next guy got pretty rude and said "What the f*ck is so custom about this?? Your aluminum radiator?"
Then I had someone say "Oh.. Yours is just a Dart. I had a Dodge Swinger." LOL.

Sounds like the worst show ever!

Sounds like a place where they would steal Naugahydes.

My wife and I took the Newport to the local county fair demolition derby.We parked in the pits along side some friends that were racing that evening. The Newp got a lot of positive recognition. Not once was it confused with any other make or model,
(most derby people know what their looking at)..... until we were leaving. As we did the slow roll through the pit area to the exit two ''hillrods'' sitting on their car trailer with a waded up derby car were checking us out, one says to the other ''hey check out that Lincoln. One of them said to me ''you wanna sell that car dude''? I stopped looked out the passenger side window at him and said, you don't have enough money to buy this car. I think that may have ticked him off a little lol. Him and his buddy both stood up and one of them said ''what makes you think we ain't got enough cash to by that car''? I simply said.....'Cuz this is the only Lincoln Chrysler ever built..... We rolled away from them as they stood staring, with that mouth open look of confusion on their faces.

Now that's hilarious!!! Good one Mike!

I pull right up front to a Part Source(Pep Boys here in Canada) they got that big glass front wall. I'm adjacent to the counter at the far edge of the window.
I get up to the counter the sales clerk say" Nice 66 Ford Galaxie."I reply "Thanks, it's a 66 Plymouth Fury"
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D6OEMq__WiY/T7UQZHz9htI/AAAAAAAAH9k/anSnTvbb5q0/s640/Ford+Galaxie+Sedan_66_5.jpg
[URL]http://www.memorylaneclassiccars.com/66fury/righ.jpg

[/URL]I guess at a quick glance they could look the same, but I'll take a complement when it's genuine. He got the year right at least :p
I agree with you guys about arguement with people went the proof is sitting right there.
Not worth my time, I'll politely smile and nod then talk to the next guy that shows interest in my car.

Last edited:
I have the same thing here. Nice Impala or New Yorker who made that. I had a newer New Yorker a 1991 and that was a great car I think she was at almost 200k before she died.

I've had several K car derivatives and they were great winter daily drivers...good on gas and I didn't mind driving them in the snow so that my classics didn't have to.

Back