Stupid things I heard at the Car Show last nite

I wouldn't trash on them too hard, they saved Chrysler from going bankrupt.....no more Corinthian leather....and then they hired a magician to conceive the first minivan. Absolute stroke of genius.

Ah yes, K-cars. We had one of those.

Turned out they were not so good for off-road driving in corn fields...

I had a K car and really liked it.... Until the front frame rusted away. It seemed like it happened overnight... It looked a little crusty in the fall and then in spring, when I changed the oil, it was just gone. I've never seen anything like it. It was a shame, the car ran great, still looked good and any other car it would have lasted another 50k miles. It wasn't even that old! It went zero to worthless in record time.

Chrysler had a recall, but it turned out the recall was just to put some hooks around the K-frame so that when the rest of the frame rotted away, it wouldn't fall out of the car.

....and then they hired a magician to conceive the first minivan. Absolute stroke of genius.

The minivan concept was well planned up to a prototype already at FoMoCo when Iacocca was still there as the Ford Carousel, he more or less "stole" it from there with the director of product planning joining Chrysler a few months later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Carousel

Last edited:
One thing I overhear at shows a lot is people commenting on how big the engines were back then when they see a Coronet 500, Monaco 500 or Galaxie 500. They think the 500 meant c.i.d.
Then there are the ones that tell you about a car that they used to have, but they don't get their facts straight so you know they're just making it up. One guy told me that he used to have a '77 300 with a 383 and that it was real fast. I asked if it was a '67. Nope. It was a '77. I told him that they never made a 300 or a 383 in 1977. His response was that it was "special ordered" and "you just had to know what to ask for at the dealer!" That was when I knew there was no point arguing that one any further. :BangHead:
I haven't ever had anyone deliberately insult my car at a car related event, not yet anyway. I don't mind if someone mistakes it for another make while complimenting me on it or just asking a question. They're someone who likes old cars and that's a good thing, so, the last thing that I would want to do would be to get angry at them or "talk down" to them and make them feel stupid. Depending on their comment, I'll either explain it to them tactfully or just let it go. :)

I try to ignore the mistakes, most times they dont know any better so I just nod, smile and move along

The minivan concept was well planned up to a prototype already at FoMoCo when Iacocca was still there, he more or less "stole" it from there with the director of product planning joining Chrysler a few months later.
Iacocca was a financial genus who pulled first FoMoCo and then Chrysler out of financial ruin by manipulation of corp and public funds.
He was never a "car" guy and had very little to do with product development dispite taking credit for several "new inovative automotive ideas".
His claim to be the father of the Mustang is his own. He offered no support for the project in the beginning, wanting to squelch it instead.... Then his only input was to demand the prototype be lengthened 2" for production.
The K car was already in the developement stage when he came to Chrysler and probably would have been a better car without his input.

What came of Iacoccas efforts was primarily a very wealthly Iacocca.

If your refering to "Iococca", I have the book, I have read the book, I have met Ledo Iocooca and have heard him speak.
I am very impressed by his business accoumplishments and his financial genus.

But if you think Iococca really gives a crap about the auto companys............ Ford and Chrysler were just stepping stones to personal wealth. Theres a lot of "fiction" in that book.

I just had a comment the other day, i was out with my rag and a guy commented, "70 Fury, right?" i corrected him, but for a non-car guy, that wasn't bad. He went on to ask if it had a 383 or the 'coveted 440'. at least he knows his mopar BBs.

Stan is correct again. What I was trying to convey was that you have read the book.

At the gas pump tonight, the older gentleman next to me was driving a new 300. He asked what year mine was and said he had a 67 New Yorker years ago. I said "1970" and he asked the what model it was was. I said "300" and he looked and said something about nobody even takes a second look at his new 300. Then he asked what engine... I said "440" and he asked "350 or the 375 hp engine?". Geez... just about floored me...

I just had a comment the other day, i was out with my rag and a guy commented, "70 Fury, right?" i corrected him, but for a non-car guy, that wasn't bad. He went on to ask if it had a 383 or the 'coveted 440'. at least he knows his mopar BBs.

Your gonna get the Fury thing a lot Mark... no one knows what Polara is

Back