The "1 of 1" car show guy.

Performance Graphics actually has a decal for that.

IMG_8216.jpeg
:rofl:

30+years ago I looked at a rusty 70 R/T challenger 383 auto console.
I remember verifying fender tag
at the time.
It was sublime with a banana yellow trunk stripe.
I actually looked really good.??
So would this be considered a
1 of ??? or just a oddity?

30+years ago I looked at a rusty 70 R/T challenger 383 auto console.
I remember verifying fender tag
at the time.
It was sublime with a banana yellow trunk stripe.
I actually looked really good.??
So would this be considered a
1 of ??? or just a oddity?
AN oddity more than anything. Ma Mopar doesn't have a breakdown for all the options built and without that information that car being a 1 of ?? is just a guess.

It all started with Ferrari/Pininfarina, just something for someone to think they have reached the height and status of Monterey/Pebble Beach.

14.These Are The History's Coolest One-Off Cars.www.hotcars.com.jpg

Unless there is documentation 1 of anything is moot point.

In the Mopar world beyond year/make/model/engine/transmission is unknown, yes on some super rare cars where they know all the cars then they can use the fender tags and broadcast sheets to break it down more.

Unless you have a high dollar car to start with it is moot point, nobody cares that your Valiant is 1 of anything (I like Valiants).

Alan

Survivor status is a pretty special term. A survivor is a car that has not had any paint, no major repairs, no interior changes, Usually not been taken apart in any way.
I for one would absolutely love to purchase a "survivor" cuda/barracuda/gran coupe of any color or engine combo. (prefer a slanty) A garaged car. These in the barracuda line are extremely difficult to find. Extremely!

I have the Newport, I call Miss Billet and she has original paint, original vinyl roof, original interior, original motor, original sparkplug wires with paint dobbs on them. Valve covers have factory writing on them. 54K miles and sat in a garage all of it's life. I think that is a survivor.

Non altered. There aren't many of those left at all, so survivor is a needed term for a very few amount of cars.
I didn't say I didn't know what it meant, I said I don't like it. It is used so incorrectly by so many people that it has lost all meaning... to me. I told a guy on a site his car was beautiful, but since it had new paint, radiator, and interior, it was not a survivor. The guy argues with me for days asking if I knew what a survivor was? He was talking about people who came back from a war. I copied the definition from the Corvette site, and he still argued! You car would fit, but I still wish that term would go away. I would just rather stick to "Original."

On that, I can't stand to see a definition that says, "Other than the seats, the car is 100% original." Once the word "other" appears, adding 100% is just ignorant.

Last edited:
I've always thought the 1 of __ should be tied to paint or engine/trans combo's. I have a 60 300F that is 1 of 3 based on color as an example. I don't think it provides any extra value, but I do think it lets you get the top of value range if restored correctly. It's weird to me when people start throwing 10 options in, combined with the stuff above to get to a 1 of ___ number.
I agree the 1 of 1 should be determined on the meat and potatoes-.
If defined by options breakdown, well every C body is a 1 of 1 car.

I owned a 1969 Dart GTS with factory front disc brakes - an option that was not available on 440 Darts. I tracked the car back to the first owner (I owned this in 1988), and he confirmed the car had front discs when he picked the car up from Hinckley Dodge in SLC, UT. As the only known disc brake 440 Dart GTS of 635 built, it was a pretty significant car. And I miss that car a bunch, 35 years later!

There are a handful of true “one of one” built cars. Prototypes, show cars, and promotional cars, irrespective of manufacturer. Ford, GM, Ferrari, Maserati, et.al. These are special cars.

Then ther are the “one of one optioned” cars which there are more of…all still worthy in our community.

Then there are the “firsts”. The first C300 for example, the first Sport Fury GT, the first Cuda etc, etc. all still unique and rare and cool.

I’ll take a one of one 4-speed, anything with a heater and radio delete and a 999 paint code, or “recall wheel” car any day!

Last edited:
Try to explain these to most people. I would tell people that I'll bet the pink slip to it against theirs it is real. No takers though.
DSC06549.JPG
60997.jpg
DSC06574.JPG

My car is a 1 of 1 survivor because it still exists and I modified it. That's the mentality that makes these terms meaningless. And even if they kept their original definitions, no one really cares when it is given as a blanket statement. A much better description would be "The only known car with disc brakes" or "Unrestored except for a transmission rebuild". These are much better statements with real information - if they are verifiably true.

The other cars all have some wild claims...
While strutting around in my lowly 383 HP powered Roadrunner years ago, parked at the local burger joint on Sat nites, long before keyboard ninjas existed, there was an endless stream of idiots with 1 of 1 cars.

Charger with Hemi 6 pack

It's usually always a Charger, cause it sounds tough.

Charger with 440 Hemi

Or some variations

440 Hemi Dart

Hemi 6 pack Superbird

And then these guys;

Dodge with 383 stroker

340 dual quad Duster

In the latter days of musclecar-ing, comments got even more ridiculous.

Drunken idiot walks up to the car with hood open, says "his car will smoke my car in the 1/4" so I says "whatddya got?" and his reply was "I gotta system" meaning he had a sub/amp in the trunk so he could make his presence known, the male equivalent to an Elk's bugling during the mating season.

My Roadrunner engine, 3 show trophies with rust on the back bumper. People didn't look past the engine very often. 2 #2 trophies in it's class, B Body modified, and the last trophy, #1 in it's class.

IMG_6895.JPG

Balanced/blueprinted engine I spent 2 years building while the Chevy freaks at school were telling me to "just slap it together", would spin over 7000 RPM easily, being balanced, as smooth as if the car was turned off.

Underhood details include, all fender bolts/other bits chromed, highly polished alternator case with stator coil painted to match car, ceramic coated HP exhaust manifolds, real aircraft braided steel hoses, stripped and polished radiator top, a quad of loud horns, electric fans, chromed pulleys, Edelbrock tarantula intake with carb heat shield, pan evac system with large hoses running from valve covers to one way valves brazed into the down pipes past the manifold flanges, Mallory Unilite ignition, 1000 cold cranking amp battery, and more.

Internally, magnafluxed/sonic checked '71 383 HP block, fully deburred/internally polished block, polished rods, windage tray, Jahn's 11 1/4:1 pistons out one guys drag car, Isky 525/304º cam out of another guys drag car, ported/polished 906 heads, port matched exhaust manifolds, solid lifter set up, and more.

Last edited:
One of my all-time favorites was a car I ran across at a show in Colorado years ago. Guy had a pretty nice '67 Dodge Coronet Deluxe two-door sedan - a great car for a drag build. He had the hood open and it looked pretty impressive - a 440 with a Six-Pac on it, along with a four-speed trans. There were also a pair of R/T fender emblems, and the R/T serrated scoop. He says it's a prototype for the Six-Pac induction, amongst other nonsense. Nevermind, it had the original three-speed column and 120-mph speedo. If the guy would've just STFU and left off the R/T emblems, he could proudly say he had a cool '67 Coronet hot rod sedan. It really was a nice build! But, some people's kids, right? I dunno. In the end, I had to laugh. The guy's insecurity was off the charts.

340 dual quad Duster
My wife and I were on board a plane one time, don't remember where, and I was wearing a Mopar T Shirt. This younger guy sitting in front of us saw my shirt and turned and started talking to me, what do you have, etc. He then says to me, "What I really want to find, in the worst way, is a '72 Duster, 340 6-pac." I told him good luck as they never made one. He yells, "Yes they did, my neighbor has one!" I told him to calm down, and said, "Your neighbor may have one, but somebody made it that way; Mopar never did." He was silent for the entire trip!

hey i've got a 1 of 1 build , by the state of california . it was built for one type job . it's a tunnel washer . it can drive from either end and all axles steer , the chassi is a fabco double header . 534 v8 gas ford , allison 8spd trans , air brakes and ride seat , 300 l6 ford to run the pumps for hyd and water , curb weight of 24k . anyone want a giant resto project that no one else would have ? more pics coming

69670001.jpg

69670002.jpg

69670003.jpg

69670004.jpg

69680018.jpg

69690022.jpg

DSC03253.JPG

DSC03254.JPG

DSC03255.JPG

DSC03256.JPG

it's a 1970 with 14k miles on her . i'm the second owner and it was only driven once by a little old man to bring it home , my pop . lol .

DSC03257.JPG

DSC03258.JPG

DSC03260.JPG

DSC03261.JPG

DSC03262.JPG

DSC03263.JPG

DSC03264.JPG

While strutting around in my lowly 383 HP powered Roadrunner years ago, parked at the local burger joint on Sat nites, long before keyboard ninjas existed, there was an endless stream of idiots with 1 of 1 cars.

Charger with Hemi 6 pack

It's usually always a Charger, cause it sounds tough.

Charger with 440 Hemi

Or some variations

440 Hemi Dart

Hemi 6 pack Superbird

And then these guys;

Dodge with 383 stroker

340 dual quad Duster

In the latter days of musclecar-ing, comments got even more ridiculous.

Drunken idiot walks up to the car with hood open, says "his car will smoke my car in the 1/4" so I says "whatddya got?" and his reply was "I gotta system" meaning he had a sub/amp in the trunk so he could make his presence known, the male equivalent to an Elk's bugling during the mating season.

My Roadrunner engine, 3 show trophies with rust on the back bumper. People didn't look past the engine very often. 2 #2 trophies in it's class, B Body modified, and the last trophy, #1 in it's class.

View attachment 608816

Balanced/blueprinted engine I spent 2 years building while the Chevy freaks at school were telling me to "just slap it together", would spin over 7000 RPM easily, being balanced, as smooth as if the car was turned off.

Underhood details include, all fender bolts/other bits chromed, highly polished alternator case with stator coil painted to match car, ceramic coated HP exhaust manifolds, real aircraft braided steel hoses, stripped and polished radiator top, a quad of loud horns, electric fans, chromed pulleys, Edelbrock tarantula intake with carb heat shield, pan evac system with large hoses running from valve covers to one way valves brazed into the down pipes past the manifold flanges, Mallory Unilite ignition, 1000 cold cranking amp battery, and more.

Internally, magnafluxed/sonic checked '71 383 HP block, fully deburred/internally polished block, polished rods, windage tray, Jahn's 11 1/4:1 pistons out one guys drag car, Isky 525/304º cam out of another guys drag car, ported/polished 906 heads, port matched exhaust manifolds, solid lifter set up, and more.
What does this idle at? 2,000 RPM? :poke:

Perhaps he was thinking about a 340-6 GSS Mr Norm Demon
My wife and I were on board a plane one time, don't remember where, and I was wearing a Mopar T Shirt. This younger guy sitting in front of us saw my shirt and turned and started talking to me, what do you have, etc. He then says to me, "What I really want to find, in the worst way, is a '72 Duster, 340 6-pac." I told him good luck as they never made one. He yells, "Yes they did, my neighbor has one!" I told him to calm down, and said, "Your neighbor may have one, but somebody made it that way; Mopar never did." He was silent for the entire trip!

4CAE024A-5EFC-4283-B24E-7F17DECEA29B.jpeg

Back