The Imperial might have a new home soon...

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
A good friend of mine locally has been coveting my Imperial for a while now, while I've been a big fan of his 1920 "T" roadster hot rod. He is a Bonneville racer. He and his crew nearly set the speed record for his class, which is the 250cc motorcycle class, in 2010 and 2011. When he's not cranking away on the bike, he is a hotrodder at heart. But his wife can't enjoy the T with him anymore, since she is having mobility issues, and they want a neat '60s convertible with air conditioning. So, enter the Imperial...

We were at a car show a few weeks ago and tossed around a trade deal on the cars. We both decided we wanted to think about it, plus I wanted to drive the Imperial some more before committing on a sale or trade. Well...this Saturday, we are getting together to drive the cars and explore the trade possibility seriously. I've always wanted a hot rod like his "T", and he has always wanted an Imperial or a Sixties Lincoln Continental ragtop, so we might just trade out.

His car is a steel-body '20 T roadster with a trunk (the decklid is fiberglass), rolling on a straight axle with disc brakes, with a Ford 8" and 3.90 gears. It has a 350-horse '65 Chevy 327 with a TH350. This has a fantastic sound going on, and runs pretty damn nice! In fact, it is in an episode of "Street Outlaws" from two seasons ago, racing against the Farmtruck...yeah, the truck won. The car is in red oxide primer with a finished interior with gauges. He uses his GPS for speed, no speedometer in the car.

So, if we do this deal, I'm gonna be "C"-free for a while. Actually, "D"-free. I've been "C"-free since November of last year. Open hot rods are like motorcycles in central Oklahoma, in that they are driven about 11 months out of the year! There is no top, so it's gonna be a fair-weather ride, in any case.

You missed me, didn't ya? I've been a busy boy the past few months, with my new job plus several very cool acting gigs going on! Hey, change is good!

Relax, it ain't a done deal yet. I might hate the way the "T" drives. It might be too noisy. It might be more fun than sex, too, so who knows?

Early model Ts dont do it for me. But 26, 27s or a Model A Roadster, i would trade for all day!

003.jpg
0403sr_milestones_14_z.jpg
phoca_thumb_l_1931-ford-model-a-unknown-roadster-driversfront.jpg

T 2.jpg
ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1401673735.634066.jpg

T 2.jpg

Let me see... On one hand you have great looking, comfortable and luxurious D-body vert. On the other hand you have smallish rotrod with hard seats, hard ride, and no top.

I know what I would do (or not do) but of course you decide what you need/want more...

Patrick, I trust your judgement...
but you know what most of this board would do.
Besides, its not like you need our permission...
I hope you have fun, either way.

I gotta think about this one....
I've thought about it. The Imp can bring a lifetime of wonderful driving experiences.
The T-bucket. It will be thrilling for the first week or so.
Then you can park it next to your SoloFlex Workout machine and let it collect dust, too.

BUT.... You're an adult. Do what's best for you. I do what's best for me. ☺

I've always figured the Coronet was/is gonna be the car I have on the day I die - I've owned it 36 years now. My other cars, I tend to own from anywhere from two to ten years. The Imperial has been with me for a bit over two years. It's a blast driving that car, as it is absolutely THE only one in the city. It's that two-year itch. It replaced my '79 Dodge "hippie van", which I owned for two years. The van replaced the '71 IH Travelall Diesel I owned for...two years! And IT replaced the '95 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel I had for two years and three months. Curiously, all were trades with private parties - the Ford for the IH, it for the van, and I sold the van and bought the Imperial that very same day the van left for Dallas. I miss those trucks and the van, all for differing reasons. The Coronet is the only car or truck I've owned for more than ten years.

Now that I'm working again, I'm in absolutely no hurry to get rid of any of my vehicles. So, it's not one of those "oooh, oooh, I gotta do this!" scenarios. The Imperial is soooo very cool. But so is the little Ford/Chevy hot rod. I'll just have to drive that other car for a few miles on a good, thorough test drive before committing. Either way, I'll be happy. Life's too short to get in a rut!

Besides, if I DO trade, I know of a nice Fury ragtop for sale for a very reasonable price!

I would keep the Imp if I was you.

You'll regret it down the road if you trade it.

[QUOTE="patrick66

His car is a steel-body '20 T roadster with a trunk (the decklid is fiberglass), rolling on a straight axle with disc brakes, with a Ford 8" and 3.90 gears. It has a 350-horse '65 Chevy 327 with a TH350. This has a fantastic sound going on, and runs pretty damn nice! In fact, it is in an episode of "Street Outlaws" from two seasons ago, racing against the Farmtruck...yeah, the truck won. The car is in red oxide primer with a finished interior with gauges. He uses his GPS for speed, no speedometer in the car.
.[/QUOTE]

DON'T DO IT.........!
A T bucket with a small block chevy.....That has a history of losing to trucks.? How much more boring can you get....?
My experience with T buckets is they are like riding in a roller coaster. Gets old fast. hard to sell and not worth much.
I wouldn't be to desperate to make that trade.

'79 Dodge "hippie van", which I owned for two years. The van replaced the '71 IH Travelall Diesel
Please post if you have any pictures of the Travelall and/or the B-van. My brother owned a mid '70s 318 Dodge van (non-hippie version) back in the 1980s. Over the years, I've thought having an International light truck would be an interesting diversion; but I think a Scout would be more my speed.

Van.jpg
100_6633.JPG
f350-8.jpg
hot rod.jpg
This is the '79 Dodge B250 "hippie van" and the '71 IH Travelall Diesel I owned,along with the F350 CC 4x4 Diesel. All great vehicles. They satisfied a want at those particular times. Below is also the hotrod in question:

Last edited:
That's not a 1920 T.

The cowl is too wide and the driver's door looks to be hinged. It's a 1926/27

Sorry.. but I'm just not feeling it. I vote you keep the imperial. Till something else trips your trigger. Like a 300F lol.

But to each his own. Do what you feel is right for you! If the t bucket is your dream car go for it.

That's not a 1920 T.

The cowl is too wide and the driver's door looks to be hinged. It's a 1926/27

Might be. I think the frame is a '20, though. No matter to me either way, it's a hot rod, and built from several different cars.

Back