The Right Car and the Right Deal. . .

Congrats on the buy!

As for getting it home, I'm going to be a contrarian - I'd tow it home. I did my Newport from Pahrump, NV to Bakersfield, CA. Far less of a trip that the 350 miles you are travelling. I was glad I did the first time I drove the car out of town. My cooling system needed a complete rebuild. Yes, in a 15 minute drive in the Nevada Desert it did not overheat, but it sure did on a much longer drive. If the radiator on that car is plugged nothing you bring with you will get you home. I'd tow it and enjoy it later.

That's my 2 cents.

A hat, and some sun screen, because the top will be down for the whole trip, right ?
smiley-happy005.gif

Long trip in a relatively unknown older car?
Cash, credit card, AAA membership, and a cell phone (in that order).
All the other things mentioned in this thread sound nice but I always end up with Murphy riding in the passenger seat.

Congrats on the buy!

As for getting it home, I'm going to be a contrarian - I'd tow it home. I did my Newport from Pahrump, NV to Bakersfield, CA. Far less of a trip that the 350 miles you are travelling. I was glad I did the first time I drove the car out of town. My cooling system needed a complete rebuild. Yes, in a 15 minute drive in the Nevada Desert it did not overheat, but it sure did on a much longer drive. If the radiator on that car is plugged nothing you bring with you will get you home. I'd tow it and enjoy it later.

That's my 2 cents.

I guess some of us like to blaze the trail, while others wait until it's paved. :poke:

I guess some of us like to blaze the trail, while others wait until it's paved. :poke:

I agree but for me when I picked up the convertible in Missouri it was a matter economics. I had to drive out and drive two cars back. I would have needed a second driver and double the cost of fuel on the rebound, just didnt make sense.

You drove the Admiral home from the North East didnt you Will?

Congratulations on your first C Body. You've been patient for so long so it is a well deserved acquisition. Look forward to seeing the pics.

Congrats on your buy, when the Father-in-Law got the sporty he brought it back from Maryland to Mi with his brother and my youngest son. Drove one out and came back with two. Other then a wheel cylinder seeping no problems.

[QUOTE="polara71,

You drove the Admiral home from the North East didnt you Will?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I flew out and drove the wagon home. About 1300 miles including a side trip to visit friends in North Carolina.
I did it one other time also. Flew from NC to Las Vegas, road a Grayhound 150 miles north to Cedar City Utah and drove 2200 miles home with my 1964 D200 crew cab. Now THAT..... was an adventure. four days on secondary roads. I had to buy a battery in Durango Colorado after getting a jump start at 4 corners, otherwise no problems.

I also drove up to Lake Champlain NY and towed Connie, my 68 camper, the 1200 miles home last June. It hadn't been out of the yard in 30 years.

Congrats!! Ballast resistor, points. Back roads, oh ya I can feel the butterflies. Enjoy your prize,you deserve it.

Rip... congrats... sounds like a sweet heart of a deal...

I put a fair amount of thought into this during my search. Try to do the bulk of your miles Saturday while stuff is still open. AAA card(or not) and a way to track down self storage places if you have unexpected troubles (smart phone should cover it). If you get concerned along the trip that you might do serious damage by continuing, just tow it to a self storage facility (you can shop for one while waiting for AAA), dont forget a car charger and maybe an adapter to hook it up straight to the battery if the lighter socket is toast. When I bought my bus, no alternative to driving it home... nothing I packed mattered as much as the darn phone and the willingness to grab a cheap motel room when I was too tired to continue on. You can always finish the trip with a tow later if you have problems, just clear your mind of the "have to get there" mentality we all usually have. Everything else will fall into place.

AAA for those who don't know... covers any vehicle you are in or claim you are in. I have used mine to tow cars by saying I had to get a ride to work, but I was in the car. If your membership expires... call,renew the membership and order the truck at the same time... they don't care. I go for the big package (towing wise), it solves a lot of problems having a large towing range. I have called and had the same car towed from the last drop off location by telling them it was running, and died again. They have conditions, but are not in the business of denying services if you give the right story. When I was in PA, the free notary services made titles a breeze. I never felt I lost on AAA, but I don't recommend auto renewals...they have towed me after being expired for years, just call, give the credit card# and order your truck.

Remember that next time your broke down...

Has the car been excercised regularly with the previous owner? Either way I'd drive it home. What color is it?

Rip... congrats... sounds like a sweet heart of a deal...

I put a fair amount of thought into this during my search. Try to do the bulk of your miles Saturday while stuff is still open. AAA card(or not) and a way to track down self storage places if you have unexpected troubles (smart phone should cover it). If you get concerned along the trip that you might do serious damage by continuing, just tow it to a self storage facility (you can shop for one while waiting for AAA), dont forget a car charger and maybe an adapter to hook it up straight to the battery if the lighter socket is toast. When I bought my bus, no alternative to driving it home... nothing I packed mattered as much as the darn phone and the willingness to grab a cheap motel room when I was too tired to continue on. You can always finish the trip with a tow later if you have problems, just clear your mind of the "have to get there" mentality we all usually have. Everything else will fall into place.

AAA for those who don't know... covers any vehicle you are in or claim you are in. I have used mine to tow cars by saying I had to get a ride to work, but I was in the car. If your membership expires... call,renew the membership and order the truck at the same time... they don't care. I go for the big package (towing wise), it solves a lot of problems having a large towing range. I have called and had the same car towed from the last drop off location by telling them it was running, and died again. They have conditions, but are not in the business of denying services if you give the right story. When I was in PA, the free notary services made titles a breeze. I never felt I lost on AAA, but I don't recommend auto renewals...they have towed me after being expired for years, just call, give the credit card# and order your truck.

Remember that next time your broke down...

Thanks a lot, Cantflip. Great minds think alike. I was already thinking about the self storage idea, in case the journey ended prematurely. Very good advice. . .

The plan is to leave Maryland at o'dark-thirty and arrive in NC at around 9:00 or 10:00 Saturday morning. And then get on the road back home as soon as I can get going. I figure the back road route I've planned should get me home before dark Saturday evening.

All things considered, shipping it probably doesn't cost much more than driving it home...but you'd forego the adventure. Since you don't know the car well, you may want to stop a couple of times to check the oil

Yes. I'm gonna have Earl check the earl a few times along the way. . .

Has the car been excercised regularly with the previous owner? Either way I'd drive it home. What color is it?

Matt: The current owner bought the car in partnership with his father-in-law. They spent some money fixing things (transmission rebuild, fuel system / gas tank cleanup, brakes, belts and hoses. The car had sat in an old chicken coop for over twenty years; however it is remarkably original and rust free. And oh yeah. . . Its Scorch Red with a white top and interior.

NICE! Man oh man I bet I'm going to be jealous! You were too easy by the way, I would have teased you longer with the details.

Back