The Saga of the Ugly Duckling

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
In early June I took a two hour drive with an older gentleman (Jim age 75) that I know to look at a couple of cars; ’67 Imperial 4 door sedan and a ’68 New Yorker 4 door sedan. Jim has restored many cars personally he owns a 34 Plymouth, a 47 Plymouth, and a 69 Roadrunner. When I was in my 20’s Jim was always willing to lend a hand with the 68 New Yorker that I had previously. he used to manage the parts room at one of the local Dodge garages for years. Anyway he came along because he likes to look at these old cars and is extremely knowledgeable. We had a great ride and a good time checking out the cars.

It was presented to me by the seller’s daughter that it was a package deal. By the time I spent about 2 hours looking them over and getting the engines to roll over we had come to an agreement for me to purchase both cars. The only disappointment of the evening was that the Imperial is so much nicer than the NYer, my personal preference. The Imperial is listed for sale if interested,http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?20678-67-Imperial-4-Dr-Sedan.

1968 NYer (21).jpgIMG_5491s.jpg

She got the name the ugly duckling not because of her looks, but because of the weather the day we went to get the cars. It rained from the time we left, the whole time we loaded the cars, the drive home and much of the time while we unloaded them.

The Imperial was a breeze to load. Due to a broken relay to starter wire we winched it up on the trailer. The NYer we drove it up on one fuel bowl of gas at a time. For some reason the pump wasn’t drawing fuel that day, it works fine now. Due to all of the rain the ramps and trailer decks were soaked. At one point I spun the rear wheels and slide the car off the ramps and the left ramp came off and was under the rear wheel of the car. In an attempt to reposition the car to get the ramp out the exhaust was pulled loose.

Neither car had much in the line of brakes. I and the guy driving the truck that hauled the Imperial had to catch it to keep it from going off the front of the trailer. That makes you realize just how heavy these cars are, remember it was being winched not driven. The driving back with the cars was fairly uneventful except the guy in front of me that decided to stop short when coming up to some construction which caused me to brake real hard.

The first order of business was to rebuild both carbs which resulted in cars that would sit and idle nicely. I fashioned auxiliary fuel tanks from 2 pound peanut butter jars. It sure doesn’t take long for a 440 to drink that much fuel, less than 10 minutes. The best part of rebuilding the carbs was my 7 year old daughter sitting on the stool by the work bench asking what the different parts were.

Currently the NYer is in the garage having the brakes reworked. It will be receiving new wheel cylinders, new brake hoses, new brake lines, and new parking brake cables. I’m using the Ni-Copp brake line to make the new lines. It’s a bit pricier than the regular steel or stainless steel line, but real easy to work with. Most of the bends I’ve none by hand with ease. It is forgiving enough that if you don’t like your bend you can straighten it and do it again. You do have to be careful when flaring it, not to over tighten it when doing the last step or you can ruin the flare. To do the front passenger line I had to remove the battery tray and radiator. If you’re considering replacing your brake line that runs the length of the car be forewarned that you have to remove the inner fender or splash shield (I’m not sure what it is called.) to get it out. I took this opportunity to clean up the tray and paint it. (I should say that this is not going to be a restoration. I hope to put a couple thousand miles a year on it.)

Once the brakes are done I’ll put the new fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel lines in. I’m working with the car on jack stands so having the tank out of the back of it right now gives a bit more room to move around when working on the brakes. Oh my, when I dropped the tank I thought that I was getting lucky because there was no “fuel” in the tank. When I lowered the front of the tank though it sounded like gravel sliding inside the tank, yikes. I sucked ½ gallon of rust and crude out of the tank with the shop vac. When I took the bucket of rust and the tank to the local radiator shop he advised that I could probably buy a new tank for less than he would charge to clean it. Thanks to all the guys here that gave input to help me in making the decision as to what to do about the tank. Below is a picture of what the sending unit looked like. It's a good indication of what the inside of the tank looked like.

IMG_5473.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to get some of the new hard lines for the brakes installed. I'll see how things go I've got things around the house that need done also.

1968 NYer (21).jpg

IMG_5491s.jpg

IMG_5473.jpg

Great story, great cars! Glad they went to someone who cares and not a derby guy.

There are a lot of Mopars in PA period.

Sure but if you ride through the Eastern part, not much laying around. I was in the western half on Thursday and I saw a heard of old cars including Mopar iron.

20150922_112636.jpg

funny you say that...A buddy of mine just bought this 68 R/T this week. I snapped few pics while we loaded it. 27,000 original miles unrestored. 100% original, plug wires exhaust. a survivor if the term is to be truely used. In Prospect Pa. About an hours drive north of Pittsburgh.

20150922_112636.jpg

20150922_111617.jpg

20150922_111450.jpg

Same guy had a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 with a 426 street wedge and 4 speed with 32,000 miles. original and unrestored. Bought both cars new.
20150922_113425.jpg20150922_111723.jpg

20150922_113425.jpg

20150922_111723.jpg

I was chatting with people from the foot hills while at a funeral. The stories they tell were incredible. There's cars out there, you just gotta be lucky to find it and land it

I've lived in western Pa my entire life and I can vouch there are alot of vintage Mopars in this area. Nobody knew about these cars. The R/T was literally parked in 1979 and the guy never even put a battery in to fire it up. Hasnt been run in 37 years. 440 4 spd Dana 60

I had a chance to explore the rural region of PA that is East of the Susquehanna River, North of Harrisburg. Seemed like every house and farm had gems abandoned behind the sheds.
I called that area The Sweet Spot.

I managed to tick some of the things off the list that I hoped for today.

I already had the new Ni-Copp lines run across the rear axle so I put the rubber brake line on the back and ran the new line from the distribution block back to the line. I ended up buying some of the ridiculously priced factory line clips so that I could get it tucked up where it's supposed to be, looks nice. Then I put the new Ni-Copp lines in for the front wheels. I ended up pulling the backing plate on the passenger side front so that I could change the wheel cylinder. I'm going to pull the drivers side tomorrow and take them to work on Monday and run them through the blast cabinet over lunch. I wouldn't have done this, but since I have to take them off to swap that wheel cylinders out why not.

I already blasted and painted up the drums. I blasted and paint the battery tray too since I had to pull it to do the front brake lines.

I'll have to get some pictures taken tomorrow and get them posted up. The Ni-Copp line sticks out in the engine compartment, but that's okay because I didn't intend this to be a restoration. With that said I won't be unnecessarily deviating from stock unless it's a safety upgrade or fairly invisible.

I've got some commitments this week in the evenings, but just maybe I'll have it coming back together by next weekend. I typically only work on it for 1-2 hours an evening. I could've gotten more done today, but I decided to take the motorcycle and my son Aaron (5) to NAPA to get some little things. This meant that when I got home Olivia (7) and Nathanael (3) were waiting in line for their rides. That took about an hour, but it's fun to ride with the kids and the riding season will be coming to a closer sooner than I would like anyways.

Burr, it was cold working in the garage yesterday, 40° at noon – it warmed to 48° by the end of the afternoon.

Even though it was chilly I managed to have a productive afternoon. With the new spindle seals in hand from DMT, a perfect fit by the way; I reinstalled the backing plates with the new seals and hoses already mounted in them. The larger bolts on the bottom were a bit of a bear to get lined up and through the holes. I put a little never seize on the shoulders so that if I have to take them out later on for something they should come out a little easier. Then I set the bearings aside soaking so that I could repack them.

IMG_5603.jpg
The powder coated backing plate sitting beside the drum that was painted with high temp engine paint.

IMG_5606.jpg

I put the radiator, shroud, and battery tray back in the car. I had them removed to run the new hard lines for the brakes. While the battery tray and bracket were out I blasted them. I was able to get the local parts store to mix some Frost Green (F) and put it in a rattle can for me, a little color sure freshened up the tray.

IMG_5609.jpg
Two different shots of the Ni-Copp line running across the from sub-frame. Really easy to work with, but when you're installing it you have to be careful not to accidentally bend it.
IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

The kids didn’t join me in the garage till later in the afternoon due to it being cold. They got a laugh out of me cleaning up parts with an old tooth brush. It’s fun having them out there, they ask questions that make me think about things in a completely different way.

I had already cleaned up the self adjusters, adjuster actuator, the oval washer from the top, and the little pieces that go in the wheel cylinders, so with new spring kits in hand the brakes went together pretty quick. Speaking of spring kits I was checking with the local parts stores; two regional chains and a NAPA, they didn't have them, but Advance Auto got the for me the next day. Man I slipped putting the driver side together and rammed the back of my hand into the spindle. Don’t do that it hurts, a lot. Especially when you do it two times in a row. With all of that done I repacked the bearings and put the drums on.

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

Next up is installing the new parking brake cables, rear wheel cylinders, spring kits, fuel lines and putting the gas tank up in. Then I’ll be able to move it outside and flush the coolant.

At some pointing time the wire end for the fuel gauge was cut off. Should it be a ring terminal or a fork? I guess it doesn’t really matter since I’m not doing a concourse restoration, just curious. I’ll give you another update when I’ve gotten more done.

God Bless and have a restful Sunday.

IMG_5603.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5601.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to photograph your work and post it.

The latest installment.

This morning started out in the mid 30°’s. I didn't get out to the garage till the afternoon and it was a touch warmer. I managed to get the rear parking brake cables installed and the rear brakes installed. These were relatively easy tasks.

Next I moved on to the front parking brake cable. This is a whole different story. Maybe I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but what the FSM had to say wasn’t very helpful. My kids thought that my laying nearly on my head was kind of amusing though. I asked for some help and Wollfen was kind enough to give some guidance and post a picture, but my parking brake assembly is different. Just encase it might help you here’s the link to our chat.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?21152-Front-Parking-brake-Cable

After dinner I went out and stood on my head some more. I did manage to get the cable out. This is not per the FSM. Since the cable was busted I set the parking brake then with needle nose pliers reached inside the assembly and pulled a 1/2" more cable inside, as much as I could. Then I noticed if I pulled the cable toward the passenger side of the car with the pliers the barrel on the top would come real close to being out of the bracket. With a bit of fidgeting it came out.

The next bit of fun will be to get the new one slipped up in there and installed. That's for another evening though. Time for a little bit of Daddy time with my 14 month old.

I'll post an update and hopefully some pictures (if I remember) during and after the installation of the new cable.

Welcome, sounds like you have a couple of great projects keep the pic's coming

Last night was a good night. I put the front parking brake cable in. I was dreading this job after the fidgeting that it required to get the old one out. It went in with great ease, Praise Jesus! Literally the hardest part was feeding the cable down through the floor.

I’ll put some pictures below, but this is basically how I put it in. Once the cable was down through the floor I placed the end of the cable against the pedal assemble. Then from underneath I pushed up some extra cable; too much initially of course. While fishing around trying to figure out where the end of the cable was I discovered that “bracket” that the end of the cable mounts in pivots. This was a wonderful discovery. So I slipped a little bit of the cable back down into the housing until the end was beside the “bracket”. The barrel slipped right into the “bracket”. I almost fainted it was so easy.

IMG_5623 alt.jpg

The bottom box is the small space that you can slip a pair of needle nose pliers through when you’re getting the old one out or adjusting the amount of cable you have topside when installing the new cable.

The top box is the “bracket” that the cable end goes in. It is swung up toward the bottom of the dash in this picture. When the cable is in it pivots down and is inline with the end of the cable (the red line).

Below are some pictures of putting the inside back together.

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5634.jpg

Here are some pictures I took while underneath at the backside.

IMG_5629.jpg
An observation about the parking brake cables. The two rear ones were Dorman and the front was a Raybestos. As you can see in the picture the clip doesn't hold them perfectly tight in the bracket, but tight enough to do the job. The front the metal cable actually had some kind of coating on it to prevent it from rusting. If I would've know this I may have bought Raybestos ones for the rear too.
IMG_5630.jpg
Ni-Copp line was a dream to bend and run. I was shocked how easy it was to install the front to rear line.
IMG_5632.jpg
The original line running to the passenger side rear was missing so I had to make an educated guess as to where it should be run. Was my guess right? Over the pumpkin and across the back side of the axle.
IMG_5633.jpg

I also removed the fuel line front to rear. There was about a 2” piece of hose right behind the stub frame, is this typical? I’m considering trying to run the line as one piece. When I removed the font line from the stub frame I taped a piece of “mechanics wire” to it so that I can tape it to the new one and pull it through. The line is fastened to the frame where it comes out on the front side. The clamp wasn’t visible from the top.
IMG_5637.jpg
I've pulled enough wires through walls that I figured if a fish tape will work in a wall why wouldn't a piece of wire work for this. We will see when I go to install the new line.

IMG_5623 alt.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5633.jpg

Back