These Damned Contractors

Well here i am a month later......still no progress and he is not returning my phone calls. Looks like we are headed to court.

I wait 30 years for my second garage, finally get in a position to get it and end up having to deal with this sh*t. And people wonder why I am so darn miserable!

Looks like we are headed to court.

That could get expensive and time consuming. Maybe try taking his address and a couple $100 bills to a "bad" part of town.

Seriously though, I hate it for you, but I've seen this stuff before and nobody wins in the end.

You are right.....too long and drawn out for anyone to win but he is either going to finish the job quickly or return my money. And the money return still leaves me trying to find someone else to finish the job.

Sorry to hear Mark. Building garages is so easy, if A few of us were local to you we could have it weathered in in a long weekend.

Well, today I found out why my garage isn't done yet:

"Loysville Structures have been forced to close their doors due to gross mismanagement, all down payments no longer exist, the church is attempting to finish those jobs that are under contract through volunteers and donations from their communities throughout the region. Levi and Elmer have been removed from the business and no longer are involved in the business (hopefully they will rest comfortably in jail). The Amish community is working to make this right with everyone that has been scammed by Levi and his brother. It is amazing how the Amish community is stepping up in an attempt to fix this for all those customers that have been affected. It speaks volumes to their community and who they are. Thank you so very much to their leaders as I wait my turn. I have lost approximately $10,000.00 in down payments and I have all the reasons in this world to be bitter but I choose to give them a chance before I pass judgement."

I know the guy who wrote this and spoke to him a bit ago on the phone. It is true. May be he isn't going to pass judgement, but I already have. If they don't finish it and I do not get my deposit back I am screwed as I do not have the money to absorb the loss and finish the job.

Were they licensed contractors? I won't pretend to know the laws in PA but here in AZ you would have recourse through a fund to help people in this situation. You would get most of if not all your money back if it was a licensed contractor.

Were they licensed contractors? I won't pretend to know the laws in PA but here in AZ you would have recourse through a fund to help people in this situation. You would get most of if not all your money back if it was a licensed contractor.

How does that system work? How is it funded? As far as i know there's nothing like that here in NC.

How does that system work? How is it funded? As far as i know there's nothing like that here in NC.
It is funded through licensing fees. If you've been wronged by a licensed contractor you file a claim and the ROC investigates. If they find in your favor (which in Marks case they surely would) they refund the money you're out. Defiantly pays to use a licensed contractor here.

Last edited:
It is funded through licensing fees. If you've been wronged by a licensed contractor you file a claim and the ROC investigates. If they find in your favor (which in Matt's case they shurly would) they refund the money you're out. Defiantly pays to use a licensed contractor here.

Interesting. I'll have to look and see if NC has anything like that. Just for information reasons.

They are licensed Chris. I will be looking into it later this week. I have no idea if we have a similar law in PA or not. Stan...no, this has nothing to do with a tv show!

Well, we are back on track. After doing some digging i found out there was someone who eas trying to help the contractor clean up his outstanding jobs. I was able to get in touch with the guy, we went back over a few things and yesterday they dropped off a triaxle load of fill and the excavator was here to push it into place before it gets really cold and the soil freezes. They are supp to start framing wed or thurs of this week. Of course, the dirt level should still be abt 8" higher, the excavator broke the center piece of foundation off that will be betw the doors and he failed to use the mound of extra soil i have sitting here. SIGH

20181227_133112.jpg

Great news Mark, it’s a Christmas miracle!:D

And what ah great time of year to see it happen, WAY TAH GO MARK. Now if I can just find a Motel in your town with a decent restaurant and cocktail lounge along with ah bed under the same roof? I contacted Comfort Suites Downtown Carlisle ah couple dayz ago and waz told Sorry You're too late FOR THE 11TH, 12TH, and 13th of July this year, AAARRRGGGHHHH, Jer, STILL TRYING TO GET THERE

And what ah great time of year to see it happen, WAY TAH GO MARK. Now if I can just find a Motel in your town with a decent restaurant and cocktail lounge along with ah bed under the same roof? I contacted Comfort Suites Downtown Carlisle ah couple dayz ago and waz told Sorry You're too late FOR THE 11TH, 12TH, and 13th of July this year, AAARRRGGGHHHH, Jer,

I can set up a cot in my garage Jer, it should be done by then! We can even set up a portable cocktail lounge.

And what ah great time of year to see it happen, WAY TAH GO MARK. Now if I can just find a Motel in your town with a decent restaurant and cocktail lounge along with ah bed under the same roof? I contacted Comfort Suites Downtown Carlisle ah couple dayz ago and waz told Sorry You're too late FOR THE 11TH, 12TH, and 13th of July this year, AAARRRGGGHHHH, Jer, STILL TRYING TO GET THERE

I believe there is still rooms in Mechanicsburg if you want to drive a bit. A lot of us will be there.

Throw a cap and a air mattress in the back of that Scamp and we can make some room for you, just like the old days sleeping in a truck. Yes, we have a cocktail lounge right there, I believe there is one over in row P that I can not get thrown out of.

Back