They're still out there: 1971 Sport Fury GT

gts95

Reaction score
Close friend of mine just picked up this 1971 SFGT, sitting dormant since the late 70s! And the find basically fell in his lap. Some guys have all the luck......As it turns out a neighbor of his a few houses down has seem him always working on old Mopars, so recently stopped by his house to tell him about a close friend of his who had an old Fury and was looking to sell it. As it turns out, it was the original owner selling!
Car was purchased new in East TX, spent time in New Mexico where the owner went to college in the early 70s, and then at some point moved to Houston. Unfortunately the Houston moisture has gotten to the car in some areas pretty aggressively (will need a left quarter), but the undercarriage is solid. Even the trunk pan is still solid.
Car has some very interesting 70s era modifications.....the Cragers, Edelbrock Torker intake, headers, Holley double pumper, B&M trans pan and valve body etc.
Still in original paint, numbers matching.

20180411_194150.jpg

20180411_194203.jpg

20180411_194220_HDR.jpg

20180411_194247.jpg

20180411_194310.jpg

That's great news.
Would you ask him a question for me?

WTF?

View attachment 179265
LOL yes there are some very eclectic modifications to the car. I didn't look at all those gauges in detail but there were several add-on radios including an 8-track player mounted all over the place. (Actually there was a couple 8 tracks in the console). Car had hood pins installed, aftermarket alarm the kind that you had to arm with a key a la 70s. The hood was wired for alarm as well. I didn't get any underhood shots but will add some next time.
Owner/seller said motor had never been out of car. Original spare was in the trunk, but original wheels and exhaust manifolds are long gone.

What in the turn it up to 11 is that????? Outstanding find. Wish it was a Dodge. Very sweet.

I love GJ4 green exteriors with a black vinyl top and interior, and it would really "pop" on that 71 SFGT when it was new for sure. It is still nice even in that condition. I had a Dodge like that once, and still regret selling it. :BangHead:

100_6730.jpg
100_6725.jpg

I love GJ4 green exteriors with a black vinyl top and interior, and it would really "pop" on that 71 SFGT when it was new for sure. It is still nice even in that condition. I had a Dodge like that once, and still regret selling it. :BangHead:

View attachment 179271 View attachment 179272
I have only seen a few pics of this one. Thanks. Can't wait to get my Brougham done!

I'm puzzled, why the white A pillar trim and headliner?

And there are more , several more tucked away. They could be in your neighbors garage

@polara71 Hey Dave. Look a 71 Dodge on page 1 of a new GT post...:lol:

He is still pissed at me cause I didn't give him first chance on it a few years ago, so please don't dredge it up again! :(

But it was missing the red front grille emblem so I thought it wasn't worthy of him (but I did find an NOS one later and sent it to the buyer, and he was pleased - and very surprised!).

Last edited:
He is still pissed at me cause I didn't give him first chance on it a few years ago, so please don't dredge it up again! :(

But it was missing the red front grille emblem so I thought it wasn't worthy of him (but I did find an NOS one later and sent it to the buyer, and he was pleased - and very surprised!).

and you sold a 71 Polara Brougham with a 440 to me:)

the 71 SFGT is a great looking car.
I am not a green fan but this tone looks ok to me, too

Back