Timing chain cover question

FBADFF8D-38D6-4948-8CED-D0C6A052FB8E.jpeg
61A2ED11-904B-4D3A-AD3A-BDCA5CCADF89.jpeg

2536030 is your block casting #, it's a 67-75 318. Your casting date is on the opposite side near motor mount as previously stated.

Oh yeah that G is a 3, duh, 318. I should’ve put that together.
Do you mean the date is stamped on the other side meaning passenger side? I will look. What does the “1283” stand for? (See photo above)

Do you mean the date is stamped on the other side meaning passenger side? I will look. What does the “1283” stand for? (See photo above)
No idea what the 1283 means but the casting date is on other side of block. If you have a timing cover with the cast marks on the pass side then that's a 68-69. There were only 3 covers used on small blocks between 64-75. The 1st (64-67) had no timing marks at all, it used a separate bolt-on marking system on the pass side. The last (70-up) had the timing marks on the drivers side and used a different water pump. If you tried to use the later style with an early water pump then you won't be able to see to set timing, also the damper timing mark will be in the wrong position.

That is probably the mold number.

Dave

2CCAC856-12F7-4E95-99B3-E144DC1CCD37.jpeg
This is what I found on the passenger side just to the rear of where the exhaust ties into the manifold

E2408B41-F62E-4049-86F6-AA47CAF9DC70.jpeg

The second photo is what was cast onto the block closer to the front.
There didn’t seem to be any other cast marks but I could look closer if you think I missed something

Little further to the rear is the casting date. MM•DD•YY ON passenger side.
You engine has been messed with, brass core plugs.

The date code is to the rear of the right motor mount near the cyl head. It can barely be seen on this 1972 340, you may not be able to see it with manifolds. It really isn't that important what year your motor is, the front accessories bolt on the same, yours are the 68-69 variety based on your timing cover.
340 painted right 7-25-09.jpg

Little further to the rear is the casting date. MM•DD•YY ON passenger side.
You engine has been messed with, brass core plugs.
no obvious casting date- nothing that I can see on the passenger side. Unless it may be behind the motor mount?? I cleaned everything else and didn't see anything.

All mopar engines should display a casting date. See:
You can also verify the vin number on the block to determine if the engine is original.

Dave

All mopar engines should display a casting date. See:
You can also verify the vin number on the block to determine if the engine is original.

Dave

it sounds like after watching that video mine must be a pre-'69, no date stamp (according to that guy).
Too, seems like general agreement that the timing cover is a '68-'69 type. My motor is not original but it would be nice to know once and for all what year it is. I installed it as a used, bone yard motor with all the accessories attached.

it sounds like after watching that video mine must be a pre-'69, no date stamp (according to that guy).
Too, seems like general agreement that the timing cover is a '68-'69 type. My motor is not original but it would be nice to know once and for all what year it is. I installed it as a used, bone yard motor with all the accessories attached.
Pre '69 engines have casting dates, they do not have engine serial numbers or VIN numbers.

Dave

Pre '69 engines have casting dates, they do not have engine serial numbers or VIN numbers.

Dave
Any idea where the date stamp might be? I posted above photos of both the driver's side and passenger side marks on my motor. I didn't find any date. I also went back to the passenger side and cleaned up the block and can't find anything else. Could the date stamp be an imprint like the one located on the front of the block behind the power steering unit?

The guy in your video link mentioned that if you have a pre-'69 motor not to be too surprised if you don't find a date stamp or casting. He mentions that near the end of the vid.

The guy in your video link mentioned that if you have a pre-'69 motor not to be too surprised if you don't find a date stamp or casting. He mentions that near the end of the vid.

Sometimes the 318 marking on the front of the block will be preceded by a Letter. Mopar started using this system in '65 A=1965, B=1966, it goes up by one alphabetic character every year.

Dave

Sometimes the 318 marking on the front of the block will be preceded by a Letter. Mopar started using this system in '65 A=1965, B=1966, it goes up by one alphabetic character every year.

Dave
Dave,
my imprint has an "M" preceding the 318- that would be 1983 by the system you mentioned. Could it be that the 1283 on the block is in fact the date- a Dec. 1983 block??

Back