Today's the Day it Started!!!

This is fantastic! aside from the racket that the valvetrain is making it purrs like the kitten that almost got its noggen closed in the door! Glad you caught that! I would throw my .02 in on this but these guys have given you a sizeable deposit of info to work with and I have nothing to add. Can't wait till your next post telling us what you did to finally shut it up. Congrats!!!!

I believe I installed the rocker arm shaft correctly. Here is a detail shot right before I reinstalled it in the car. Rocker arm shaft detail..jpg

Rocker arm shaft detail..jpg

I would almost certainly say the top end isn't getting lubed. Pull a valve cover while it is idling to check. If it isn't, pull the distributor and prime the pump while turning the engine over slowly by hand. The top end is fed through the #4 cam bearing by way of two small holes. It is very possible the top end isn't getting oil because the car sat for so long. Congrats on bringing her back to life!

When installed, the oiling holes should be on the underside of the rocker arm on the valve side.
Gotta pull those covers off before anyone can really say anything....

I would almost certainly say the top end isn't getting lubed.
Scott: he said he didn't pull the cam so it should still be pushing oil up there. So I'm thinking something was not right when the rocker arm shaft was reassembled and put back on.

Or he could be over reacting. LOL!!

Scott: he said he didn't pull the cam so it should still be pushing oil up there. So I'm thinking something was not right when the rocker arm shaft was reassembled and put back on.

Could be, but if the engine was completely dry, wouldn't it have to be primed to get oil to the top? Maybe not. Either way, the top end sounded pretty noisy to me. You could be right about the rocker shafts being installed incorrectly. He should be able to pull a valve cover after running it to see if oil is getting to the top. If it is, my money is on your assessment.

You may have something with the rocker shaft I was very meticulous not get the rocker arms out of place. I'm not certain about the shaft it could be upside down. The push rods and everything else I feel confidant about the installation.

Is the engine noisy on both banks... or just one side..?
If you don't have a stethoscope then a large screwdriver works well. One end against the engine and the other towards your ear. (Use the handle end at your ear.... no sense getting brain matter all over the clean engine.)

When installed, the oiling holes should be on the underside of the rocker arm on the valve side.
Gotta pull those covers off before anyone can really say anything....

I'm a little confused so the holes should be pointing up toward the rocker arms or down to the valves?

Is the engine noisy on both banks... or just one side..?
If you don't have a stethoscope then a large screwdriver works well. One end against the engine and the other towards your ear. (Use the handle end at your ear.... no sense getting brain matter all over the clean engine.)

Thanks for the tip, both sides are noisy. Funny stuff I'll keep the shiny end down.

Stan has it right. I over reacted.

The valves sounds really loud on the video and they were that first time I started it up. I went over and removed the valve covers and everything was installed correctly then started it up. I was surprised how quiet it sounded. I shot some video and when I played it back it sounded much louder. I blame the camcorder and short term memory loss.
All is good:eek:ccasion14:

Now I needed to get those brakes done, install the gas tank, and take it for a spin.

Good t hear that there is no major problems. Now get those brakes back together and take it around the block...top down!!

Back