Today's the Day it Started!!!

MAN...... thats special..... It's a great feeling to bring a long sleeping car back to life....
CONGRADULATIONS.....!
:yourock:

" Couldn't be happier" ..... Only one way, and it would look something like this.........

Looks like you got a good deal and a great car.

187134 2005 on the move.jpg

" Couldn't be happier" ..... Only one way, and it would look something like this.........

Looks like you got a good deal and a great car.

Exactly I can't wait to take it out for a spin. That will probably be a couple of weeks from now. I need to finish the brakes, reinstall the gas tank and look into that lifter noise (but I might need to take it out for a spin after 1 and 2)

Did you put in a Comp Cam? They are notorious for making for a noisy valve train. You may have to live with it.

Almost got the kittycat with the door! Be careful - happened with my brother one time, he was devastated.
Actually I was watching him and hesitated before I pulled the door shut. Fortunately he gets completely out of the way when the car starts.

Did you put in a Comp Cam? They are notorious for making for a noisy valve train. You may have to live with it.
I haven't touched the cam but I did remove the rocker arm assembly and clean them up. I was very careful to get all the rockers back in the right order. In fact I cleaned each one individually and didn't change the position of any of the parts. I then torqued the bolts down to the factory specs, I believe it was 35lbs. Should I go back and check the torque the the bolts first?

Would the rockers be worn to make that kind of noise with 82,000 miles or the oil pump? What is the longevity of the Mopar oil pumps. I nearly turned the car off the first time I started it, because the oil light came on for what seemed light 20-30 seconds. I had changed the oil and the light hasn't been on since that first time.
rockers cleaned sm.jpgrockers dirty sm.jpg

rockers cleaned sm.jpg

rockers dirty sm.jpg

Last edited:
Run it with the covers off and with a stethoscope determine if the clatter is uniform or you can pinpoint it.
Did you pull out the push rods?
Is the upper valve train getting all it's lubrication?
Are you over reacting? Lol

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Run it with the covers off and with a stethoscope determine if the clatter is uniform or you can pinpoint it.
Did you pull out the push rods?
Is the upper valve train getting all it's lubrication?
Are you over reacting? Lol

LOL you got me figured out already. I definitely tend to over think things. I did pull the push rods. I will check that the upper valve train is getting proper lubrication. Great idea with the stethoscope. I think I will be able to determine alot with the valve covers off.

Thanks once again you are such a great resource on this site.

And can I assume (pray) the push rods went back in the same way? Say "yes"...

Congrats on getting the car fired up!! I know the feeling...and I bet we could see your grin from space!!

SOunds to me like the lifters might be the problem. But I'd check your oil pressure with a manual gauge if you can. If the oil pressure comes out fine, then I'd check into what Stan suggested. You have good vacuum that's for sure...20+ inches of vacuum is darn good!!

And can I assume (pray) the push rods went back in the same way? Say "yes"...

The pushrods should not make a difference on this, as long as the tapered end is down. On the '68 and up B and RB they could all be put in upside-down and all in different locations and it would be fine.

However... The lifters can not be moved from the lobe of the cam that they have been worn into, or you could almost guarantee issues and likely start to eat out the bottom of the lifter, and ruin the cam lobe.

Check to be certain that the rocker shafts are not turned over. The valvetrain is oiled through the head and your rocker shafts. The row of small holes go down and the second bolt hole from the end will be enlarged on the bottom where it oils around the bolt.

If the rocker shafts are on properly, and it is clearly oiling, the next step while the valve covers are off is checking for slack in any of the rockers that are on the baseline of the cam. You will have to turn the engine about a 1/4 turn at a time with the belt or a breaker bar with an 1 1/4" socket about 7 times to get 1 revolution on your cam, and check throughout the process for any slack, or a lifter that is compressing to find your culprit.

Last edited:
I then torqued the bolts down to the factory specs, I believe it was 35lbs. Should I go back and check the torque the the bolts first?

I nearly turned the car off the first time I started it, because the oil light came on for what seemed light 20-30 seconds. I had changed the oil and the light hasn't been on since that first time.

The torque specs on the rocker shafts should be 30#.

Your oil pump was likely completely dry and unable to draw oil very well at the startup. For future reference I would highly recommend to anyone starting an engine that has not been run for several years to prime their engine with a drill while turning the engine in several increments, ending with 2 turns of the crankshaft, and this would have allowed the lifters to pump up as well.

The pushrods should not make a difference on this, as long as the tapered end is down. On the '68 and up B and RB they could all be put in upside-down and all in different locations and it would be fine.

However... The lifters can not be moved from the lobe of the cam that they have been worn into, or you could almost guarantee issues and likely start to eat out the bottom of the lifter, and ruin the cam lobe.

Check to be certain that the rocker shafts are not turned over. The valvetrain is oiled through the head and your rocker shafts. The row of small holes go down and the second bolt hole from the end will be enlarged on the bottom where it oils around the bolt.

If the rocker shafts are on properly, and it is clearly oiling, the next step while the valve covers are off is checking for slack in any of the rockers that are on the baseline of the cam. You will have to turn the engine about a 1/4 turn at a time with the belt or a breaker bar with an 1 1/4" socket about 7 times to get 1 revolution on your cam, and check throughout the process for any slack, or a lifter that is compressing to find your culprit.

You may have something with the rocker shaft I was very meticulous not get the rocker arms out of place. I'm not certain about the shaft it could be upside down. The push rods and everything else I feel confidant about the installation.

Last edited:
Back