Tomorrow's the day!

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Today is the day it started!!!!

Wish me luck. Tomorrow evening I am going to try to start my '66 300 after sitting for over 30 years. I have done pretty much a full "tune-up". The last piece of the puzzle is my rebuilt 4 barrel Carter. I had a Mopar Mechanic rebuild it for me and he is going to come to my shop and help me start it.

I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve. It has been a month and a half since I first got it in my shop, it feels alot longer than that.

Last edited:
Take LOTS of pictures of the event (video if ya can swing it)....either way I'm sure all will turn out just fine!

Take LOTS of pictures of the event (video if ya can swing it)....either way I'm sure all will turn out just fine!

Ya I was thinking of taking video of the "Event". I didn't want to jinx it by shooting video, but you only have one official first start in 30 years. I will do it and hopefully have something to post here tomorrow night.

Yeah Man! I'm excited for you and to see it!

Well I hope things go well for you. These motors are pretty good, even after sitting for years. The 440 that is currently in my wagon came from a 71 300 that had sat under a tree for close to 15 years. I droppe din a battery, some fresh gas in the tank, and soem PB Blaster down the carb while it cranked....Fired up after half dozen cranks and idled like it had just fired yesterday!!

Hope yours goes that smoothly...:thumbsup:

Wish me luck. Tomorrow evening I am going to try to start my '66 300 after sitting for over 30 years. I have done pretty much a full "tune-up". The last piece of the puzzle is my rebuilt 4 barrel Carter. I had a Mopar Mechanic rebuild it for me and he is going to come to my shop and help me start it.

I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve. It has been a month and a half since I first got it in my shop, it feels alot longer than that.

Just another note in case your valves aren't opening sufficiently to make it run. You can pull out the distributor and spin the oil pump counter clockwise with a drill to get oil pressure, then turn the engine by hand about a 1/4 turn and repeat the process a couple times to let the lifters pump up. Then with #1 plug pulled out find your compression stroke, put your timing mark on top dead center. From this point to static time it with points you can start out with the distributor retarded and pull the vacuum advance toward the front of the car slowly until it throws a spark and then snug the distributor, and it should run pretty well with the additional vacuum and mechanical advance. After you have eliminated other bugs, you can put a timing light on it and change it if neccesary.

You can take an old allen wrench and weld a piece of it to a longer shaft, or possibly just get a length of hex from an implement dealer to drive your oil pump.

Just another note in case your valves aren't opening sufficiently to make it run. You can pull out the distributor and spin the oil pump counter clockwise with a drill to get oil pressure, then turn the engine by hand about a 1/4 turn and repeat the process a couple times to let the lifters pump up. Then with #1 plug pulled out find your compression stroke, put your timing mark on top dead center. From this point to static time it with points you can start out with the distributor retarded and pull the vacuum advance toward the front of the car slowly until it throws a spark and then snug the distributor, and it should run pretty well with the additional vacuum and mechanical advance. After you have eliminated other bugs, you can put a timing light on it and change it if neccesary.

You can take an old allen wrench and weld a piece of it to a longer shaft, or possibly just get a length of hex from an implement dealer to drive your oil pump.

That is great advise.

Once again, thanks for some great advice. It all makes locical sense, but I would have never thought of something like that on my own.

Mopar Performance sells that priming tool, if you don't want to make your own. It isn't to crazy expensive, and works great with a 1/2'' drill.

I wrapped electrical tape around the one I have to help protect the dist. bushing where it goes through.

Well tomorrow is going to be the day. I didn't actually get to start the car, because of an oversight on my part. I made an assumption that the 30 year old "new" fuel was properly installed by the PO. It was not. Don't ask me why I hadn't checked the fuel pump before today.

The PO had installed the fuel pump but didn't line up the push rod properly and bent the crap out of the fuel pump arm. The saga continues, the Mopar guy was there during the whole process. We didn't find any fuel pumps at the local auto parts store. He thought he might have an old one at home. He did, we got it back to my shop and installed it. It didn't work, the seals were dried out because it was a ten year old used pump.

Oh well it wasn't meant to be tonight. I do have a nice rebuilt carb installed and a new pump will be in tomorrow morning. I'm going to take a long lunch tomorrow and give it a go.

:popcorn:I can wait...but not long!

Back