Tomorrow's the day!

Is it running yet?

images

We have gas...no spark. Nothing obvious. I put on a new coil. I didn't change the points and condenser but I did file the points, no spark there. Unfortunately I won't be able to get back over until next week.

Here is what I know. When I put a volt meter on the positive and negative terminals I would get about 6.5 amps (13 volts at the battery) and then it would drop to 4 when I turned the car over. I am getting no spark at all. I am going to change the points and condenser. Any other suggestions would be great.

I'm heading back to work now, thanks for all the support. I know you guys are in my corner, and I'm so glad to find this great forum.

Damn, what a let down. Since the car is already down -- and not quite yet ready for prime time (street duty)...I would get rid of the points ignition all together rather than fuss with it.....very touchy. I did (my car had points) and I'm pleased with the difference.

Damn, what a let down. Since the car is already down -- and not quite yet ready for prime time (street duty)...I would get rid of the points ignition all together rather than fuss with it.....very touchy. I did (my car had points) and I'm pleased with the difference.

What is the preferred electronic ignition for the 383? What are you running? I don't see me doing any internal alteration to my engine, but I learned to never say never.

Well some guys swear by the mopar performance electronic ignition upgrade w/ the orange or chrome ECU. Other people like the pertronix system, and then some guys go to the junk yard and yank an electronic ignition setup from later model Dodge trucks. Everybody will say their system is best -- so if I were you I'd check it out for myself before making a decision. I use the mopar performance set up, however I've already gone thru two of those orange ECU's, I'm learning the hard way some of them are crap from the manufacturer. I've been thinking about the pertronix or even MSD igntion but I don't know yet. I guess the current ECU I have is going to have to crap out before I really decide,lol.

oh, you won't have do any "internal alterations" to your engine, but you may end up changing/swapping distributors tho.

I had points in my 440 for years. Never failed me. But then I thought I'd "upgrade" and I went pertronix...never performed right IMO. I ranit this way for years too. Then this summer I finally decided to swap in my junk yard sourced Mopar Electronic Ignition system. Re/Re'd the dizzy, and a few wires, and a bracket later she fired up. The car has never run so strong.

So my opinion would be a stock mopar electronic system from a 400. Or if you don't wat to junkyard source the parts you can buy the complete system, dizzy, new wiring, ECU etc...for about $200 from many suppliers.

I had points in my 440 for years. Never failed me. But then I thought I'd "upgrade" and I went pertronix...never performed right IMO. I ranit this way for years too. Then this summer I finally decided to swap in my junk yard sourced Mopar Electronic Ignition system. Re/Re'd the dizzy, and a few wires, and a bracket later she fired up. The car has never run so strong.

So my opinion would be a stock mopar electronic system from a 400. Or if you don't wat to junkyard source the parts you can buy the complete system, dizzy, new wiring, ECU etc...for about $200 from many suppliers.

That was basically the deal with my MGB. The best dizzy was my original and had it rebuilt, and it has never run this good.

Well tomorrow it is then...

Is this like the "FREE BEER..... TOMORROW" Sign at the local bar....?

Funny, I never thought of my title thread, maybe I need to change it to I'm going to start my car today, because tomorrow will always be tomorrow.

I will send a video when I get home but it started!! I'm embarrassed to say I didn't have the ignition wire shoved completely into the distributor cap coming from the coil. I've got transmission fluid over all over the engine block so was smoking a lot, but it didn't smoke as much coming out the back of I thought it would. I turned it off for about 10 minutes came back and it started started with a bump.

Back