Towing- wheel and spring updates

Carl K

Reaction score
new_tires01.jpgnew_tires05.jpgwheelcovers01.jpg

To get the 1965 New Yorker ready to tow, I wanted to change from the 14" bias ply tires that came on the car. They were period correct and worked fine, but would not be appropriate for the heavy towing loads. Chrysler recommended a 6.5" wide wheel for the towing package. I found a set of 15 x 7 wheels from an eighties LeBaron and tidied them up. Then I went with the Hankook Optimos that most of you run- they are rated to 2183 lbs!- and topped them off with some '66 disc brake wheel covers.

I noticed the leaf springs have a reverse arc. The towing package specified "heavy duty" springs so its' a good time to upgrade.

rear_Springs.jpg

new_tires01.jpg

new_tires05.jpg

wheelcovers01.jpg

rear_Springs.jpg

Nicely done, the new wheel covers look right on your NYer

That's beautiful. They're must be a world of difference in driveability.

To get the 1965 New Yorker ready to tow,

I noticed the leaf springs have a reverse arc. The towing package specified "heavy duty" springs so its' a good time to upgrade.

Is that an Airstream next to your New Yorker....? That will be a nice combo.

Nice wheel covers Carl. Did you change your mind on the Road Wheels? Get your conversion completed yet?

SF-66TC: I'm holding off on the Road Wheels- I still don't have a complete set and they might be a bit to "rock-n-roll" for this car. I'm hoping to start the disc conversion next week- I just ordered the proportioning/metering valve.

Did you get that roof rack I emailed you about?

SF-66TC: I'm holding off on the Road Wheels- I still don't have a complete set and they might be a bit to "rock-n-roll" for this car. I'm hoping to start the disc conversion next week- I just ordered the proportioning/metering valve.

Did you get that roof rack I emailed you about?

No I haven't received anything from you since I believe April. I actually sent you 2 two other emails, May & June and hadn't received a reply to either one. Checked my bulk/junk/spam folders and found nothing. As you may have read I finished my conversion and it works fantastic. If you'd like any help I'm on a break and will be free the next 5 weeks so let me know.

Yes, a 1964 Airstream Safari 22'.

I'd love to see some shots of the Airstream..... I had thoughts of finding a vintage example but so far they are a bit out of my range.
I did locate a 1968 concord 19' travel trailer that is still in the original owners hands, has never been upgraded or modified and always kept under a roof. It has a great period look and should be a great unit behind our 69 Plymouth Custom Suburban.
I'll pick it up in upstate NY next week.

Will.

Back