Transplanting a new 440 into my '65 Fury - PICS

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello!

You all have helped me out with the engine choice for my '65 Fury (replacing the 383 with an already done 440), and I was told that pics would be nice...so here are some. I pulled the engine this past Fri, and here's the evidence. It went smoothly, thankfully. I should have the engine by the end of this week, and I'll post some pics of the prep and install when I get to it (shouldn't be too long).

Chris

fury1.jpg

fury2.jpg

fury3.jpg

fury4.jpg

fury5.jpg

fury6.jpg

I am thinking of going to two fours. What should I look out for and what should I not do?

Is the 440 pretty much stock, or is it "built" with cam, high compression pistons, etc? If it is stock, the two four-barrel carbs probably won't work very well for you. In any event, the two carbs are gonna have to be pretty small (500 cfm or less?) I think the engine would be a lot happier with a single 600 Edelbrock or an AFB.

Will be interesting to see what the 440 does once he installs it.

Years ago, I had a '71 GTX with the 375 hp 440. A wonderful car I never should have let go. The power of that 440 had was amazing. You wanna pass 12 cars in a row? No problem. Just punch it, and you were there. Prior to that car, I had a '66 Belvedere II with a 4-speed and a 426 street-hemi. The GTX was faster. . .

Believe it or not, the tunnel ram really was pretty awesome on the street. Now the car had a mild cam, manual valve body trans (no kick down linkage to sweat over), 3000 stall converter and 3.91 gears. I mounted two 600 Holley (vacuum-secondary) carbs in-line to simplify throttle linkage (used a long throttle cable from a 72 Dodge truck slant six). Once it was mechanically together, it was just a matter of getting the accelerator pump shots/timing straight and awa-a-a-y-y we go!
The hardest thing to do (emotionally and physically) was cutting a hole in my hood to clear the carbs.
I 'temporarily' installed it around 1990, just for laughs after I took a ride in a friends Pro-Street Chevy II with a small block & tunnel ram. I figured, it he could do it.....
I have had so much fun with it, I am only now getting around to taking it off (being replaced with an 8-71 supercharger).

I almost opened my wallet for Barsteel's car when it was for sale, love it!!
Badvert, your car is badass, do you have any videos on Youtube?

My 440 is not built yet. Thanks for the tip. I will stick with the Edlebrock for now.

I almost opened my wallet for Barsteel's car when it was for sale, love it!!
Badvert, your car is badass, do you have any videos on Youtube?
I am too old for youtube, I do have some VHS tapes of it somewhere (remember those?)
Now...
badvert39-web_zpsww6tww1b.jpg

Soon...
wp3b42d4bb_05_zpszq2jbebl.jpg

Last edited:
Hello!

You all have helped me out with the engine choice for my '65 Fury (replacing the 383 with an already done 440), and I was told that pics would be nice...so here are some. I pulled the engine this past Fri, and here's the evidence. It went smoothly, thankfully. I should have the engine by the end of this week, and I'll post some pics of the prep and install when I get to it (shouldn't be too long).

Chris
I also am planning on putting a 440 into my 65 Fury lll. I had the engine long before I found anything to put it in. My engine also came with a dual Quad tunnel ram. I think this would look awesome on the street, though I am told they have their issues on the street. But I am still going to try the tunnel ram and leave the hood off for now. Your post gave me motivation to continue with my project. I am 58 years old and have started my semi retirement project. Thank you again. I will follow your project. Included is one photo as we sit in my garage in western New York.

image.jpg

Flippin through the pics and bam, there it is. 4 speed! Cool car, looks very nice:thumbsup: Where's the burnout emoji??
Travis..

Nice looking car! Good luck with the install and congrats!

Back