UPDATE: Transmission leak from the front bell housing 727 question

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
So I posted about the leak in my transmission last week.

Changed the seals out but it leaked still after changing out the seals.

So I decided to take it to a local trans shop that specializes in older cars.

Turns out my pump is cracked!

The trans guy here hasn't seen a cracked one before.

Luckily I have a spare pump I can use on hand.

Has anyone else heard of this before?

20140427_123529.jpg

Sorry that the pump is cracked, but glad you got it sorted out. Post some pictures if you can of the cracked pump. Like to see it.

here is what the broken pump looks like.

It was my fault and somehow I didn't strip the threads in the trans housing.

I tried the fix by having the transmission laying on the bench & in the past I have tipped it on end.. Lesson learned..

The cause of this was that the front drum had popped forward by about an 1/8 of an inch then turned enough to prevent the pump from sliding all the way back into place.

The tranny mechanic suspected a weak casting as I should not been able to break that pump.

I guess I ate my wheaties that morning! :D

Lucky though I had a spare pump which is now being installed..

20140528_075150.jpg

20140528_075200.jpg

20140528_075210.jpg

So, it wasn't seated when you cracked up the bolts. That sucks, but glad you had a spare! You plan on painting it before you put it back in? Are the trans techs going over it, replacing anything else while it's out?

So, it wasn't seated when you cracked up the bolts. That sucks, but glad you had a spare! You plan on painting it before you put it back in? Are the trans techs going over it, replacing anything else while it's out?

When dropped the pump off this morning they quickly tore it down.
It was looking pretty good shape. So they are adjusting the bands and sealing it back up where needed.

It's amazing how fast these trannys pull apart.
Rob had this torn down in less than 4 minutes! !
Of course the bench was full of tranny parts!.

Quoted me $150 PLUS TAX FOR THE Entire job.
I think that works for me!

Can you PM me the contact info for your tranny guy? I'm chasing leaks in mine and I don't have the time or the know-how to get it stopped.

Yah, i guess I didn't know my own strength! I used a speed wrench to pull it in and then torqued it to specs's...

The only sound I heard was when I removed the pump.

it had a big metallic popping sound it it broke free.. I gues I could have broken it then..:eusa_whistle:

I usedto rebuild transmissions back in the late 80's and thought i had this under control but I'm guessing not.. in fact I'm sure I wasn't in control!!:laughing11:

I got off lucky on this screw up! just don't tell my wife!! LOL!!

I wasn't but I found some aluminum paint tonight and before I knew it...

Turned out pretty good.. I used a brush and put it on real thin..

20140529_212100.jpg

20140529_212107.jpg

20140529_212054.jpg

I wasn't but I found some aluminum paint tonight and before I knew it...

Turned out pretty good.. I used a brush and put it on real thin..

Your trans came out great ! So you say you used a brush what brand type of paint is it? I only see spray bombs in the picture. I'll be painting my trans soon and I like the look of that. Does it have a glossy finish?

It is Tremclad aluminum and I used a cheap 1 1/2" paint brush.

I used very little paint just enough to literally cover the aluminum housing.

I more or less scrubbed it into the aluminum which is naturally a bit porous.
It has a shine to it as well.

This is the first time I used it on a transmission.

Bought the paint for a tin shed roof.
It stood up to years of summer heat and different seasons so I figured that it could handle being applied to a transmission.

I expect it will eventually turn into a power over time but the shed roof took it for over 5 years so I will see what happens..

I'm sure some members will think I messed it up and state i should have used an auto based paint but the Tremclad is oil based

We'll see what happens :)

looking good, most people will never see the trans but you know it's clean and painted that's what matters to me anyway. keep up the good work and pic's

Real nice job man. Looks great! You gonna run a trans cooler? I'm sure you know,.make sure you have the kick-down adjusted right. Also,.you can,.. and since it's out,..turn up the pump pressure!!

Real nice job man. Looks great! You gonna run a trans cooler? I'm sure you know,.make sure you have the kick-down adjusted right. Also,.you can,.. and since it's out,..turn up the pump pressure!!

Hi. Thanks for the heads up.
I will adjust the kick down but leave the pressure at the status quo for now.

I read the thread the other day which I found
interesting.
I used to do that as a poor mans version of a shift kit!
:)
I was a licensed wrench in a former career. ..

Also funny you mentioned the kick down.
It wouldn't work when I 1st bought the car last year.
I think that from the picture you can see why. ..

Back