upgrading from 2" rear brakes to 3"

moonrunner1972

Reaction score
Greetings. Some of you may remember my saga with the damaged axle shafts for my 73' Polara. It appears that I have found someone with a 71' Fury Suburban that is willing to sell me a set. During the exchange of e-mails, it occurred to me that wagons typically came with either 2 1/2"-3" rear brakes. I asked if he would be willing to sell the backing plates along with the axle shafts. Aside from the obvious shoes and drums, what else besides the backing plates would need to be changed to upgrade the size of my rear brakes?

The 11x2 1/2" rear brakes would be much easier to find parts for compared to the 3" ones. You would need backing plates, shoes, drums. If his rear drums are good I would get them also.

Greetings. Some of you may remember my saga with the damaged axle shafts for my 73' Polara. It appears that I have found someone with a 71' Fury Suburban that is willing to sell me a set. During the exchange of e-mails, it occurred to me that wagons typically came with either 2 1/2"-3" rear brakes. I asked if he would be willing to sell the backing plates along with the axle shafts. Aside from the obvious shoes and drums, what else besides the backing plates would need to be changed to upgrade the size of my rear brakes?

Backing plates is about it. Everything else is interchangeable between the sizes.

More then liely the wagon will have 2.5" brakes on the back.

I have three inch rear drums on my blue T&C - disc brakes up front. Rare - and a little tough to find shoes for.

I have three inch rear drums on my blue T&C - disc brakes up front. Rare - and a little tough to find shoes for.

Yup they are almost as tough to find as the 2" stuff. That is why I have always swapped to 2.5" rear drums on all my mopars over the years. You could...at one time...go to the wreckers and grab a set of 11 x 2.5's from pretty much any dodge truck or van.

The reasons already said are the reasons I said the heck with it and upgraded to 4 wheel discs and couldn't be happier. If you need some parts, let me know. Good Luck

The reasons already said are the reasons I said the heck with it and upgraded to 4 wheel discs and couldn't be happier. If you need some parts, let me know. Good Luck

I went to rear discs 2 years ago now? And I hate the things. I will be converting back to my dead nuts reliable, and cheap, 11 x 2.5 rear drums....Glad I kept them on the shelf. ;)

I went to rear discs 2 years ago now? And I hate the things. I will be converting back to my dead nuts reliable, and cheap, 11 x 2.5 rear drums....Glad I kept them on the shelf. ;)

THANK YOU!!!!! This is the exact type of information I needed to help me make my final decision.

I think the e-brake/ self adjuster changes from 71- 73 or it maybe older than that just as long as all parts from same year no big deal. also if you over brake rear and it locks too easy car will spin around on you.

Back