Valve Train

68 4spd Fury

Reaction score
1-3-5-7.JPG
2-4-6-8.JPG
I pulled the valve covers off my 383 to change the valve seals. First time they'd been off in near 50 years since the gaskets and bolts still had engine paint on them. Surprised by the cleanliness in there.

Thats whatcha wanna see. Gonna be doing that this weekend. Wish me luck!

"Valve Train" has changed it's name to "Rocker Firm."

YUK YUK!

(This may be an area joke; I'll find out.)

"Valve Train" has changed it's name to "Rocker Firm."

YUK YUK!

(This may be an area joke; I'll find out.)
Is that like the rock n roll band named Rock who changed their name to Rock INC. who further changed their name to Rock.com?

Probably not.

Just my recent experience with removing the rocker rail (383) from one side. I pulled the rail to install some better spacers. When I put it back on the engine ran very rough. Took me a bit to figure out that the lifters had extended all the way out and hydraulicly locked. I lossened the rail and cranked the engine and it ran smooth. I slowly tightened the rail with the engine running and it would get rough and then slowly smooth out. Not sure if this would happen to you but My suggestion would be to do one head and run the engine until it runs smooth then do the other. Or it may not crank when you're done.

Must be regional...
Are you aware of "Sleep Train?" (Sleep Train Arena was where the Sac Kings formerly played.) They just changed their name to "Mattress Firm." Me?? I think it's a stupid name....

Last edited:
Just my recent experience with removing the rocker rail (383) from one side. I pulled the rail to install some better spacers. When I put it back on the engine ran very rough. Took me a bit to figure out that the lifters had extended all the way out and hydraulicly locked. I lossened the rail and cranked the engine and it ran smooth. I slowly tightened the rail with the engine running and it would get rough and then slowly smooth out. Not sure if this would happen to you but My suggestion would be to do one head and run the engine until it runs smooth then do the other. Or it may not crank when you're done.
Thanks! Good tip, I'll keep that in mind, hope to get to it this weekend.

A previous owner of my convertible wrote starter changes and that type thing on the hood and header panel.

Really? I do not recall ever seeing such a thing. I always write notes on a notebook and keep it in the glove-box. Had a Mercedes 300TD given to me once; every detail of its 340,000 miles were written on a notepad in the glove-box.

I finished installing the new valve springs and seals. Of the 16 seals, only 4 were intact, (both back cylinders interestingly), the rest were just pieces.

Back