Vintage tool quiz anyone?

It reminds me of a "Filter Minder" air filter restriction gauge. This mounts to the air box. Supposed to indicate when the air filter needs replacement.

24801.jpg

Sweet baby Cheeses, there's a Patent Number on the thing, on the red plastic gimme that number.

Sweet baby Cheeses, there's a Patent Number on the thing, on the red plastic gimme that number.
Let’s get some more guesses in first before I go handing out any patent numbers. :stop:

It reminds me of a "Filter Minder" air filter restriction gauge. This mounts to the air box. Supposed to indicate when the air filter needs replacement.

View attachment 260521
I think this is your winner... it's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

If the air filter is restricted, it can cause a vacuum to form between the filter and the throttle/carburetor... which drags down the plunger of the "minder" which should have a locking mechanism so you can see it went there at your next service. You'd have to make a hole in a round air cleaner to install this... on the inside/clean side of the filter.

I'm 99% certain of what it is, and with the crack in the body, it would be useless except as a way for dirt to draw into your engine.

I think this is your winner... it's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

If the air filter is restricted, it can cause a vacuum to form between the filter and the throttle/carburetor... which drags down the plunger of the "minder" which should have a locking mechanism so you can see it went there at your next service. You'd have to make a hole in a round air cleaner to install this... on the inside/clean side of the filter.

I'm 99% certain of what it is, and with the crack in the body, it would be useless except as a way for dirt to draw into your engine.
What crack? The only thing broken is the little red fitting.

Nah, I don't see it.

If so, I see no way in which this "filter minder" would be securely attached to the inside or outside an air filter housing. No threaded portion on which to screw down a flange-nut, and that black rubber-looking thing has no groove in which it could fit into a sheetmetal hole.

If so, the diameter is pretty big. Would your local gas station have had a holesaw or a chassis punch to mount the thing into the side of an air cleaner housing? Not likely. And how does it seal against the curvature?

If so, there's no reason for a nipple end, as there should be no need for a hose.

If so, there's no "red/yellow/green" marker or flag--as was so typical of goofy consumer gizmos (still is!)--to alert the mechanic to sell the customer a new filter.

So....the mystery deepens, IMHO.

Wait....I got it! Calibrating fuel injection systems. :rofl:

No, what I really meant to say was "for synchronizing multiple carbs", but it doesn't look like any synchs that I used to be familiar with. Anyway, that's my guess. Explains the nipple, anyway.

My first thought was of the air flow balancing/synchronizing units for multi carb set-ups. Unit sits on top of the carb(s), then you tune the motor until all the air flow through each carb matches on the unit.

Last edited:
Was just looking at the pics again....maybe for testing if the vent in the gas tank is working? Sits over the fill neck and then apply some vacuum through the nipple on the top then watch to see if the "float" inside moves or drops?

My first thought was of the air flow balancing/synchronizing units for multi carb set-ups. Unit sits on top of the carb(s), then you tune the motor unit all the air flow through each carb matches on the unit.

No, no, no, nonononononononononono. NO! I'm the first to say it, and I want that Grand Prize that detmatt is offering:
A non-functioning window motor....that the winner has to pay shipping. :rofl:

Unless, of course, we're both wrong! :BangHead:

Is there a way to rank threads? This is a lot of fun.

Was just looking at the pics again....maybe for testing if the vent in the gas tank is working? Sits over the fill neck and then apply some vacuum through the nipple on the top then watch to see if the "float" inside moves or drops?

Ooooooww......that's a clever guess. I can kinda envision that. Maybe you'll be getting that non-functioning window motor.

Lol! I’m not even sure the patent number will prove conclusive. I looked briefly and it wasn’t really much help to me but maybe with a little more research. I will step up and offer the person that does guess it, let’s say we do figure it out, a chrome imperial valve cover decal. :thumbsup:
I mean I have plenty of non working window motors but I’m not paying any shipping on those.:lol:

Last edited:
looks like one of those gadgets to increase your fuel mileage by 1000%

After looking at it for a couple days, I think there's more parts missing.

What I think is that it's part of a water (or some sort of liquid) flow meter. Possibly even as simple as the water meter that measures the amount of water you use at your house. It might be a repair part or just half of it is gone.

Back