Vintage tool quiz anyone?

After looking at it for a couple days, I think there's more parts missing.

What I think is that it's part of a water (or some sort of liquid) flow meter. Possibly even as simple as the water meter that measures the amount of water you use at your house. It might be a repair part or just half of it is gone.
It fits in its box perfectly.:poke:

After reading Big John's response it gave me an idea so went back and looked at the pictures....again....could it be a flow meter for a water pump? You hook it to the outflow on the motor and fire it up and it will show if the water pump is moving the appropriate amount of fluid?

What crack? The only thing broken is the little red fitting.
That looked like a crack the first time... oh well...
9c10bd67-35dc-41a3-9779-05a7fd54d9c6-jpeg.jpg

After reading Big John's response it gave me an idea so went back and looked at the pictures....again....could it be a flow meter for a water pump? You hook it to the outflow on the motor and fire it up and it will show if the water pump is moving the appropriate amount of fluid?
I like this idea. The short rod sticking out the top looks like a small gear head with four teeth that would rotate as the fluid being pumped rotates the little blades inside. This could be connected to some kind of mechanical meter which would indicate volumed pumped. Rather than a water pump, maybe part of the metering system on a gas station fuel pump. The bulb would show the customer that fuel was flowing, the gizmo would drive the mechanical gallons dispensed readout and the total price readout. That would also make sense to find a "spare" mixed in ith a bunch of auto parts.

Lol! I’m not even sure the patent number will prove conclusive. I looked briefly and it wasn’t really much help to me but maybe with a little more research. I will step up and offer the person that does guess it, let’s say we do figure it out, a chrome imperial valve cover decal. :thumbsup:
I mean I have plenty of non working window motors but I’m not paying any shipping on those.:lol:
I don't have an imperial... Gimmie a patent number.

Ok I finally got serious about figuring it out for myself and I’ll say based on the original patent dated 1939 that none of us has guessed it’s use and that although it might have a legit use in the automotive industry it is more commonly used elsewhere and up to this very day.
I tried it and besides a leak or 2 it actually works.

Ok I finally got serious about figuring it out for myself and I’ll say based on the original patent dated 1939 that none of us has guessed it’s use and that although it might have a legit use in the automotive industry it is more commonly used elsewhere and up to this very day.
I tried it and besides a leak or 2 it actually works.
I gave this thing a second look and I finally focused on this and then after thinking about it, I said, "Nah, he wouldn't ..."

Screenshot_2019-02-18-13-23-52.jpg

My guess is a liquid flow meter. Don't know it's practical use, but I think I see an input and output and a little 4 post arm to adjust the flow of the liquid.

When I google searched a liquid flow meter, I found a company that sells various products. I came across this picture, it sure looks similar to our device.

LIQUI-FLOW-lab.jpg

More info to back up my claim, in 1939 there were a few liquid control devices. Does our devices patent number match any of the listed items?

indexofpatentsis1939unit_1066.jpg

or this page?

indexofpatentsis1939unit_1065_2.jpg

Last edited:
Back