Welcome JRG440 to FCBO!

JRG440

Reaction score
I've owned my 1968 Dodge Polara 2 dr Hardtop since I was 16 (my first car) and Mopar is my first love. I have owned 2 other 68 Polara's since, one convertible (that got stolen...there is a special place in hell for car thieves) and a 500 that wound up more useful as a parts car than a driver. Thankful I stumbled across this group, for my old 68 needs a full restoration...and I am starting it NOW. Need some help with parts and whatnot.

Specifically, I need to overhaul the 747Tflight in it. About 10 years ago, I got mad (never a good thing) and fired up the motor in it, and decided to beat on it a bit (The engine has been rebuilt and it puts out over 400 HP) Well, the trans couldn't take the power on the upgraded engine, and it locked up. I managed to get it to unlock, but I believe it blew out the 1st gear plenum...and ANY power the trans wants to lock like you throw it into park on a forward roll.

It has sat for the last 10 years, 2 of which was in a field, and while in that field, it got raped for parts. I'm getting the trans done very soon, as well as putting in a new PS gear box. With new 15 inch wheels and tires, over hauling the stock drum breaks (less work...and money) she should be a driver at least. But I need full interior, including dash work...both the evaporator coil and heater coil replaced, new A/C lines (the compressor was new and used only about 30 days when the evap blew up...so it SHOULD still be ok) some interior replacement parts, and exterior trim needs to be completely replaced or restored. I'm thankful the pans, and body are still MOSTLY solid. It does need a little bit of rust repair in the rear quarters. I am also wanting to put a new wiring harness from the bulkhead to the engine bay, including the bulkhead itself. In 1995, I had a small electrical fire there, and it melted the bulkhead. Ever since the temp gauge quit working. Once I get all parts replaced, interior done, new exhaust hung, upgrade the rear end to 3.55 posi from the peg-leg 2.76, and it mechanically sound once again....I will have the paint and body work done. I suspect this will take at least 2 years to get it all done, and when it is complete, it will still be a driver. I refuse to own a trailer queen.

Any help sourcing parts for a 68 2 dr Polara will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Welcome from the Keystone State.

You should be sure to flush the compressor out really well before hooking new AC parts up to it.

If you start a restoration thread and ask some individual questions in the appropriate areas you'll get more responses.

Back