What’s this hole for

Reaction score
What’s this bolt on block for its a 318 it’s circled in black I’m just curious what it is and what’s it’s for

IMG_3777.jpeg

should be one on each side and originally came with a petcock valve rather than a pipe plug I believe

As mentiond, the block drain plug. IF you take it out, be prepared for a gush of rusty liquid after you open up the hole.

As mentiond, the block drain plug. IF you take it out, be prepared for a gush of rusty liquid after you open up the hole.
Best to put your face right up there for the full effect.. Although you often have to stick a screwdriver in there to break the crust that has formed.

I love the taste of anti-freeze in the morning... Tastes like ... Victory...

:lol:

If that engine is out of the car then remove all core plugs and clean out the water passages. usually the crud will not all come out by just removing that screw in plug.

3 on each side.
2 in the back bellhousing area
2 on the front of the block.

Last edited:
If that engine is out of,the car then remove all core plugs and clean out the water passages. usually the crud will not all come out by just removing that plug.

3 on each side.
2 in the back bellhousing area
2 on the front of the block.
It’s still in the car

Yep, you got to remove the plugs to get all the water out after you flush it to put in the "distilled" water with the antifreeze.

Using a caustic power with water solution to "flush" the system can also remove scale which has attached to the backside of the plugs. With that scale gone, the thinner metal of the plugs is more likely to seep and leak. Just replace them all and be done with it. IF the back ones are leaking. might have to pull the transmission rather than pulling the motor?

A messy job, but once done correctly, no more worries for quite some time, using a quality coolant.

CBODY67

Back